Drug clinic angers Evans businesses

Jenna Martin/ Columbia County News Times
Peach Mac owner Darryl Peck (center, wearing stripes) talks to business owners in the Park Place shopping center on Wednesday about a methadone clinc expected to open in the Evans center.
Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2010 1:51 PM
Last updated 2:12 PM

A group of Evans business owners expressed outrage this morning at the prospect of a methadone clinic coming to their shopping center.

The owners of such stores as PeachMac, Learning Express and Superior Self-Defense Academy, met today to discuss the inclusion of a rehabilitation facility for drug addicts in the Park Place shopping center on Washington Road across from Club Car.

Most considered the treatment center a death knell for their businesses.

“I, for one, consider it a fatal blow,” PeachMac owner Darryl Peck said to his fellow tenants. “This is going to stop traffic to our stores in a heartbeat.”

Peck said he learned of the clinic two weeks ago from electricians working in the space it will occupy. Since then, Peck said he has left phone messages with property owner George Snelling of Snelling Properties LLP with no return call.

Jason Herrera, owner of Superior dance and martial arts academies, said he did speak with Snelling.

“He does know that’s going on, but there is a sense of not caring,” Herrera said.

Snelling said today in a phone interview that his tenants are “making a mountain out of a mole hill.”

He noted that the clinic, operated by Valdosta, Ga., based Treatment Centers of America, will be open only from 7-11 a.m. each day. Snelling also said that it caters to a middle-class clientele, not “inner-city, low-rent” addicts.

In addition to Valdosta, Treatment Centers of America also owns Georgia clinics in Waycross, Brunswick, Fayette, Newnan and Kennesaw.

However, Peck said he researched those locations and none of those clinics are located within a retail shopping center.

Melissa Dixon, an administrative office manager for Treatment Centers of America, refused to confirm that the business is opening a clinic in Evans.

To combat Snelling’s refusal to drop Treatment Centers of America as a tenant, Peck said he intends to author a letter to Snelling in which he and other tenants will threaten to withhold rent until the clinic closes.

If any tenant refuses to pay rent, Snelling said he will evict them.

“I’m not letting George Snelling kill my business,” Peck said. “I’m willing to be sued by George. I’m willing to have my day in court with George.”

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115,

or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/27/10 - 01:09 pm
I guess there will only be

I guess there will only be "high falutin" addicts that will come to Evans. An addict is an addict. I wouldn't want it near my business either.

Chillen
Chillen 10/27/10 - 01:17 pm
If I'm not mistaken I believe

If I'm not mistaken I believe there is a cheerleading gym in that same shopping center - catering to mostly girls aged 5-17. If my daughter was there I wouldn't want her around folks like that.

Build your treatment clinic but not next door to kids & other businesses!

iletuknow
iletuknow 10/27/10 - 01:24 pm
All addicts need a place to

All addicts need a place to go be it drugs or Apple trash.

fishman960
fishman960 10/27/10 - 01:25 pm
Middle class clientele. What

Middle class clientele. What a joke!

Harrisburgsurvivor
Harrisburgsurvivor 10/27/10 - 01:30 pm
I bet that Augusta' Surrey

I bet that Augusta' Surrey Center would never have a meth clinic because Mayor Deke' father in law owns it. Someone said that the collective rent was nearly 30 thousand bucks a month! Rich folks don't put up with unpleasant tries like that!

dvdbiggs
dvdbiggs 10/27/10 - 02:23 pm
Remember when a meth clinic

Remember when a meth clinic was proposed at the shopping center across from the airport on Wrightsboro Road and it was not allowed. You have so many drug uses in this area, it really should be located there. Keep Evans clean.....

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 10/27/10 - 01:58 pm
According to their web site,

According to their web site, the daily dosing fee is $10-$14. It seems there would have to be a pretty strong flow of addicts to pay the rent.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/27/10 - 01:59 pm
Have your day in court?

Have your day in court? Puhleeze. Read your lease agreement. Unless your lease specifies what types of businesses the owner will or will not allow in the shopping center then you have no case. Typical of people who do not plan yet want to complain.

dvdbiggs
dvdbiggs 10/27/10 - 02:26 pm
ruudvonbaron..........would

ruudvonbaron..........would you want a methadone clinic next door to you or your family. When I worked near one of these clinics I was approached on a daily basis by drug uses asking for money.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/27/10 - 02:28 pm
Well, I see both sides to

Well, I see both sides to this issue. On one side, you have the tenants who have their lives invested in their store locations, and they don't want an entity coming in that they feel will scare off their clientele. And I wouldn't be surprised if these business owners didn't ask Snelling who else was lined up to be a tenant BEFORE they signed on the dotted line. Now, on the other hand, this is also Snelling's livelihood, and he needs to get rent from almost anyone he can get to move in...including a meth treatment center! Times are VERY hard and Snelling is probably somewhat desperate, and that's why he acted like he didn't care when he spoke with Mr. Herrera. Harrisburgsurvivor is absolutely correct....Surrey Center would NEVER have one of these places in their center! This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/27/10 - 02:32 pm
Sounds like it is all about

Sounds like it is all about George and his money. He must live in the "great STATE of Richmond". He probably would not want the clinic in his backyard or next door.

HDawg
HDawg 10/27/10 - 02:39 pm
Mr. Snelling has not thought

Mr. Snelling has not thought this through. He may evict a tenant only to find that he cannot re-lease the property because he allowed the clinic. If I were him, I would re-think the situation and begin caring fast. Even if the current tenants stick, when their lease agreements are over, he won't be able to keep people in the building. Looks like the beginning of the end for those nice buildings.

anotherlook
anotherlook 10/27/10 - 02:40 pm
I am disturbed by this on so

I am disturbed by this on so many levels that I don't even know how to comment...I can only shake my head.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/27/10 - 02:41 pm
This wouldn't be the same

This wouldn't be the same George Snelling who gave $1,000 to DeKe Copenhaver's reelection campaign would it?

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/27/10 - 02:42 pm
I wonder what else Mr

I wonder what else Mr Snelling wants to put in other neighborhoods?

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 02:49 pm
This may backfire on these

This may backfire on these business owners.

Pennywise
Pennywise 10/27/10 - 03:15 pm
Yeah cause there's no drug

Yeah cause there's no drug problem in Columbia county. Right.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/27/10 - 03:20 pm
If they are going to put one

If they are going to put one in Columbia County why not put it in the University Health Complex? They rent out space there.

csrawill
csrawill 10/27/10 - 03:20 pm
George Snelling lives in West

George Snelling lives in West Lake for your information

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/27/10 - 03:22 pm
And he is Deke Copenhaver's

And he is Deke Copenhaver's biggest campaign donor according to the latest campaign finance disclosure.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/27/10 - 03:27 pm
this amuses and angers me at

this amuses and angers me at the same time. dunno who to root for. Col. Co. may need a CNPO of its own before too long.

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 03:40 pm
They should put one of these

They should put one of these day labor places in that shopping center. Where people hang out waiting on a day’s work. Or better yet make it a soup kitchen for poor people.

Indigo
Indigo 10/27/10 - 03:43 pm
I bet Apple users are meth

I bet Apple users are meth addicts too so this might be good for business. Whats Peck going to sue over? Lease rights?

The new store is called Peach Meth........

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 03:48 pm
Perhaps they could lease the

Perhaps they could lease the space to the Ku Klux Klan for a meeting hall-- I heard they wanted to make a present in the Augusta area. (Just kidding)

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 03:50 pm
It would be a good location

It would be a good location for ACORN to register undocumented citizens to vote.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/27/10 - 03:53 pm
If Mr. George lives in West

If Mr. George lives in West Lake then he might put his clinc on Fury's Ferry or Stevens Creek Road.

beboisme
beboisme 10/27/10 - 03:57 pm
These types of "Treatment"

These types of "Treatment" centers need to be located where there is alot of foot traffic and easy access for people who don't have a vehicle and can be on a bus line. It will be interesting to see how many Caddies,BMW's and the like pull in for their dailey's in beautiful Evans.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/27/10 - 04:01 pm
I would not want that near by

I would not want that near by business. It will turn into an issue of - That's sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 04:01 pm
How about a clinic for people

How about a clinic for people with highly contagious and incurable diseases.

berryoakley
berryoakley 10/27/10 - 04:01 pm
And, we need a tatoo parlor

And, we need a tatoo parlor in Evans too. I am tired of having to drive to Martinez or Augusta to get new tats.