Man, 22, fatally shot on Tobacco Road

Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2010 5:37 AM
Last updated 7:25 PM

A 22-year-old Hephzibah man was fatally shot late last night on Tobacco Road.

According to a news release from Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, Eric Wright, of the 3700 block of Woodlake Road, was seen talking to someone at a carwash at Tobacco Road and San Sebastian minutes before midnight when he was shot several times.

He was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and pronounced dead about 12:30 a.m.

The shooting remains under investigation and an autopsy is scheduled this morning at the GBI Augusta lab.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/26/10 - 05:09 am
This story has been told many

This story has been told many times this year in the CSRA. Nothing will change until the root cause is addressed.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/26/10 - 05:27 am
johnston.cliff - absolutely

johnston.cliff - absolutely right. Sad how many lives have been lost. I blame a lot of the liberal policies of the last 50 years.

treerock
treerock 10/26/10 - 05:34 am
i blame the people who choose

i blame the people who choose to murder.

AWyld1
AWyld1 10/26/10 - 06:04 am
Pay no attention to the man

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...Augusta is one of the safest cities in Georgia....

fred1
fred1 10/26/10 - 06:10 am
Some commissioners seem to

Some commissioners seem to think a new Chic-Fil-A will solve this sort of behavior. Maybe that's why nothing gets done. Chic-Fil-A to the rescue!

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/26/10 - 06:45 am
"You know, I know it's

"You know, I know it's midnight, but I just can't take how dirty this car is any longer. I'm going down to the car wash!" Logical...

usafvet
usafvet 10/26/10 - 07:11 am
First thing, let's do a

First thing, let's do a study. That's the RC way. Then we'll post ads all over the country and find an outsider that can fill the 250,000 dollar/year(plus benefits) position that the study says we must have in order to improve. It must be understood however that some of us on the commission have kin that must be hired for those non existent jobs that the new doctor expert will create. Of course we should not require this outsider to reside in RC while he/she/it solves our problems because it is too dangerous. No problem, we'll furnish his/her/its car including an open ended gas card and may a well throw in a few cell phones (unlimited service), an ipod, free Internet service for his furnished lap tops. You see, we the government can't see what is causing the crimes, we can't see the reason businesses vacate RC, we can't even understand why our Republicans are leaving RC, but we'll know after the study. In the meantime, we must raise the taxes on the few Republicans left in the county, these democrats want more "play gounds" , some places to hang out, and besides, we can be just as efficient as our federal government. Folks, we had better get some Conservatives back in all levels of government next Tuesday. Put the brakes on Socialism.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/26/10 - 07:15 am
You know what....some work at

You know what....some work at night & on the way home they may want to get gas...wash a car...buy some food....I have been guilty (years ago) of doing all of those things when I left work at 12am--130am--200am from the telephone co.......in todays world it is a different story.

raul
raul 10/26/10 - 07:39 am
I lost count. Is that 31 or

I lost count. Is that 31 or 32 murders in RC this year?

Charles Wilburn
Charles Wilburn 10/26/10 - 07:47 am
Mayor Deke has had four years

Mayor Deke has had four years to "man up", fight crime and clean up the streets so that we wouldn't feel like potential targets to be used for shooting practice each time we visit the downtown area of Augusta. I'll be voting for the hard working Augusta mayoral crime fighting and street clean up candidate, and we all know who SHE is!

iLove
iLove 10/26/10 - 08:01 am
Where were all these comments

Where were all these comments when the young man was killed by a hit-and-run driver??? Where is the outcry?

What's the difference. . . .o wait. . . .

pommom38
pommom38 10/26/10 - 08:16 am
@ Raul, I believe the count

@ Raul, I believe the count is up to 35.

Ilove, please get over it. (whatever IT is) The public commented on the hit and run as well. If you're going to allow comments to enrage you, may I suggest you just stop reading them.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 10/26/10 - 08:24 am
Charles, what is Lori going

Charles, what is Lori going to do differently? What should Deke have done differently? I think just about everyone is frustrated with the crime in Augusta but to blame Copenhaver just seems a little too convenient, and to believe that Davis will be any better seems naive.

gabgab
gabgab 10/26/10 - 11:42 am
Very sad for all concerned.

Very sad for all concerned.

pommom38
pommom38 10/26/10 - 08:40 am
Oops, my bad.. It is at 32. I

Oops, my bad.. It is at 32. I obviously heard the news wrong this morning.

AWyld1
AWyld1 10/26/10 - 08:43 am
reread benny...I was being

reread benny...I was being facetious...

bentman
bentman 10/26/10 - 08:53 am
Once again - South Augusta.

Once again - South Augusta.

JUSWOND
JUSWOND 10/26/10 - 08:56 am
All these comments are well

All these comments are well taken, however, I know this young man and his family. He was not perfect, but he was working on his life and getting things together. And NO MATTER HIS PAST he was striving for a better future and NO ONE had the right to take that from him. Losing a child is probably the worst experience a parent can go through and to lose your baby, regardless of the age BREAKS THE HEART OF A MOTHER, so I am praying for Deacon and Deaconess Wright and I am praying for the CSRA and that the people of the Living God would humble themselves and PRAY!!!!!!

usafvet
usafvet 10/26/10 - 09:01 am
Good morning Corgi.

Good morning Corgi.

saltshaker
saltshaker 10/26/10 - 09:18 am
Hmmmm...So gabgab, just

Hmmmm...So gabgab, just because a man isn't perfect he deserves to die? Interesting concept, I guess you should probably be shot and killed too, right? Smh...Augusta is not only ignorant because of the people who commit the crimes, but much worse because of the people who are so blindsided by what really matters in our community. Being a felon or just having a misdeameanor DOES NOT warrant any human person to sentence any man to a cold-blooded death...sorry!

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/26/10 - 09:27 am
I sure hope countyman updates

I sure hope countyman updates his "statistics"

flipa
flipa 10/26/10 - 09:31 am
Tons of cocaine & meth are

Tons of cocaine & meth are being flown in from Mexico and redirected from the border to right around here. A turf war has broken out in a fight as to who will control it. Crime is rampant because cocain & meth addicts are robbing to get the money to get their fix. If you think it’s bad now just stick around. It's breaking out in Aiken Co, Col County, Hephzibah, Thomson, and yes even Augusta.

Watch Crime Reports and Rewards to see the CAUSE of all this crime & bloodshed and maybe even make up to 5 million $$$$$$$$$ doing it.

mary dits
mary dits 10/26/10 - 09:41 am
this is very sad, but at

this is very sad, but at least i can keep as permanent the opening for my newscast. "unfortunately, someone else died, after being shot."

Pennywise
Pennywise 10/26/10 - 09:47 am
I know everything and have

I know everything and have never made a mistake, so I am going to make some condescending remarks about this person and his life and over generalizations about everything and pretend the world would be a better place if people believed my crazy ramblings.

Pennywise
Pennywise 10/26/10 - 10:01 am
Dixieman what do liberal

Dixieman what do liberal polices have to do with murder rates? Maybe it's the conservative "everyone should have a gun and lets shoot first and ask questions later" policies this country has been adopting...

Whenever men take the law into their own hands, the loser is the law. And when the law loses, freedom languishes - Robert Kennedy

iLove
iLove 10/26/10 - 10:01 am
im enraged??? Man, u know me

im enraged??? Man, u know me well (sarcasm)

just trying to bring light 2 a dark situation.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/26/10 - 09:58 am
Hatfield.. Mayor Copenhaver

Hatfield.. Mayor Copenhaver cannot even admit that there is a crime problem. That's part of the problem right there. You ignore a problem and it only gets worse. Deke does not meet regularly with the sheriff, like he does with officials with Ripken baseball. In her platform Lori pledges to meet regularly with The Sheriff and she has proposed returning precinct based community policing in areas of highest need. If you even mention there is a criome problem in Augusta, Deke gets mad and calls you a "negative nancy" and defriends you on facebook.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/26/10 - 09:58 am
Bentman, there is no such

Bentman, there is no such city as South Augusta. And he was from HEPHZIBAH.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/26/10 - 10:02 am
And as far as disorderly

And as far as disorderly conduct, around here, you could get that for politely asking your drunken, partying neighbors to be quiet after midnight.

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 10/26/10 - 10:09 am
GABGAB: So I guess you live

GABGAB: So I guess you live in a glass house and is perfect. I bet I can talk to people that knew you back in the day that could tell a different story. You should be ashame of yourself trying to point out this young man's faults, just because he has died. He has family and friends that love him and miss him. Think about if your child was a victim of a crime and passed away, would you want someone like you trying to make him/her look bad. You should really ask GOD for forgiveness. SO LOW DOWN!!!!