T.W. Josey student, mother charged after school fight

Thursday, Oct. 21, 2010 11:11 AM
Last updated 11:42 AM

A T.W. Josey senior and his mother were charged with simple battery after a fight on school grounds Wednesday, according to a Sheriff's Office incident report.

Back | Next
Cherron Tonise Murray,  Richmond County jail photo
Richmond County jail photo
Cherron Tonise Murray,

Police said the student, Phillip Kirby Murray, was involved in a fight with a teacher at the school around 2:30 p.m. where he struck the victim’s face and body several times.

His mother, Cherron Tonise Murray, 40, entered the school and struck the principal several times when he attempted to stop her, police said. The mother used strong profanity toward the principal and other students in the school, the report said.

She was charged with disrupting public school, simple battery and upbraiding, insulting, abusing a teacher or another administration.

The student was charged with disrupting public school and simple battery.

movingtoaugusta
movingtoaugusta 10/21/10 - 11:21 am
Please tell me the kid will

Please tell me the kid will be expelled from ANY Augusta or Richmond County Public School for ever. Make the mom clean toilets at the school.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/21/10 - 11:22 am
The apple didn't fall very

The apple didn't fall very far from the tree. A mother and son fighting with a teacher and a principal is downright embarassing to themselves and the school. Sounds Ghettofabulous!

raul
raul 10/21/10 - 11:39 am
What can you say?

What can you say?

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/21/10 - 11:48 am
I think this lady took

I think this lady took "parental involvment" to the next level.

Indigo
Indigo 10/21/10 - 11:54 am
Ahhh........Mother and child,

Ahhh........Mother and child, so sweet and.........HEY, STOP THAT!

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 10/21/10 - 11:59 am
I see a bright future for the

I see a bright future for the both of them. Thank you both for yet another bad story about Richmond county. I've been defending this place for years but few people can only do so much. Get someone in here to clean out the trash sooooooon.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/10 - 11:59 am
What can you say!!! Our kids

What can you say!!!
Our kids couldn't possibly get the education they need with this insanity.

airbud7
airbud7 10/21/10 - 12:00 pm
To Much Jerry Springer,

To Much Jerry Springer, Maury Povich!!!

swinter05
swinter05 10/21/10 - 12:31 pm
Perfect example of why kids

Perfect example of why kids act the way they do. They are a product of their environment, in most cases, not 100% of the time, but defintiely most of the time! Sad, Sad, Sad

ripjones
ripjones 10/21/10 - 12:54 pm
I see two upstanding pillars

I see two upstanding pillars of the community. NOT ! Unfortunately, the law says that educational chances have to be provided, in the public school system, to age twenty-one. @lifelonresident -- have you ever heard of capitalization before ??

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/21/10 - 12:58 pm
This is sad, but it's what we

This is sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 10/21/10 - 01:05 pm
Way back in the day, when I

Way back in the day, when I was in school... if I had even raised my voice to a teacher, my parents would have whooped my behind AND I would have gotten detention, at the very least. What on earth is going on with these children and their so-called "parents"? I see this young man has a future at the RYDC or worse. These people behaved like animals, and there are some children at that school who will think this is the way to behave, while I'm certain the majority of them know this was absolutely wrong and condemn their actions.

amgibson
amgibson 10/21/10 - 01:10 pm
What a classy woman! With

What a classy woman! With mentoring like that, it's a miracle the boy managed to make it to 12th grade.

grinder48
grinder48 10/21/10 - 01:45 pm
We simply MUST get tough with

We simply MUST get tough with these dregs. There is no excuse whatsoever for this kind of behavior. These people need to go to jail.

KingJames
KingJames 10/21/10 - 01:59 pm
This isn't ghettofabulous.

This isn't ghettofabulous. This is just plain ghetto.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/21/10 - 03:26 pm
That's what happens when you

That's what happens when you fire the police and protect these types of kids. It hasn't been a week and they act like thay can run the place now. Put that man back to work.

oneofthefrontrowgang
oneofthefrontrowgang 10/21/10 - 03:35 pm
SEND THEM BOTH TO JAIL. IF

SEND THEM BOTH TO JAIL. IF SHE IS ON WEFARE ,CUT IT OFF.

follower 10/21/10 - 03:39 pm
Now what? Off to YDC and

Now what? Off to YDC and learn how to be a better criminal? And the mom? [hate to use an honorable word to describe this person]
Will the father now be taking care of Jr.? Is he even around?

What a vicious cycle.

alleycat
alleycat 10/21/10 - 03:43 pm
Once a student lays a hand on

Once a student lays a hand on a teacher the student should never be allowed in any public school again. A mother thats acts that way should be charged with assault & child abuse. Guess ya can tell where the kid learned the aggression...

nijejo
nijejo 10/21/10 - 03:46 pm
I usually dont leave comments

I usually dont leave comments on blogs but I get so sick of reading about such ignorant people. I think is one of the major problems with a lot of kids today. If it was my child I would went to the school and beat his behind at school, on the ride back home, and at home. I dont think that teachers are paid enough to deal with most of these kids and I feel for the ones that goto school for an education.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 10/21/10 - 04:19 pm
Lets fire the officers at

Lets fire the officers at Josey now. They started this incident don't you know!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/21/10 - 04:20 pm
Put that woman in jail and

Put that woman in jail and throw away the key!

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 10/21/10 - 04:21 pm
And if he is a senior in high

And if he is a senior in high school he is past the RYDC stage in life. He has "graduated" to the big house at 401 Walton Way. (Pun intended)

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 10/21/10 - 04:57 pm
Stupid! Just really have had

Stupid! Just really have had it with stupid people. The Principal should have snatched her weaver off her head--that would have ended the fight!

crackertroy
crackertroy 10/21/10 - 06:03 pm
Phillip Kirby Murray cannot

Phillip Kirby Murray cannot be left behind. Every measure must be taken to ensure he graduates with a high school diploma or equivalent. By 2014 every child will be reading on grade level and every child will graduate.

momster59
momster59 10/21/10 - 09:03 pm
Used to teach at Josey. This

Used to teach at Josey. This kind of intolerable behavior is why I now teach at a rural school. Not Utopia, but close enough when compared with RC and CC schools.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/21/10 - 09:45 pm
When I was a young boy and

When I was a young boy and got in trouble in school, my mom was there to whip MY rear end and not the principal's. I don't know if this family is on any public assistance programs, but I would impose a rule that ANY person who accepts PUBLIC money be immediately suspended from ANY future payments of ANY kind.....This is OUR money they are getting and WE are getting tired of supporting this lifestyle.

dizzy dictator
dizzy dictator 10/21/10 - 10:18 pm
The Senior should not

The Senior should not graduate so you need to suspend him for the rest of the year and if he so desires, either get a GED or he can repeat the 12th grade.
The mother needs to be in jail!

momster59
momster59 10/22/10 - 05:39 am
loyal - unless Sean pulled a

loyal - unless Sean pulled a post, don't see where race is mentioned. All the posts are speaking about the behavior of mother & son.

fontana
fontana 10/22/10 - 07:12 am
Bring on Jesse and Al.

Bring on Jesse and Al.

Defendant acquitted of top charges at rape trial
After less than two hours of deliberations, the jury acquitted Christopher Davis of rape and aggravated sodomy, convicting him only of aggravated assault, possession of a knife during the ...