Confederate group might join Klan, gays at ASU Keeton protest

Thursday, Oct. 21, 2010 9:45 AM
Last updated 12:41 PM

Members of a local Sons of Confederate Veterans branch have expressed interest in joining an increasing number of groups that intend to protest Saturday outside the gates of Augusta State University.

The latest organization would join the Ku Klux Klan and a gay rights group that have announced plans to demonstrate over the case of a college grad student who has gone to court to defend her personal beliefs.

Col. Gary Powell, of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, said today he had spoken with a member of the Confederate group who said they planned to attend the rally in full Confederate regalia to protest the Klan, which is protesting in support of ASU graduate student Jennifer Keeton.

Members of a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender group called Proud Ally announced Wednesday that the Klan's presence had prompted them to plan a counter protest Saturday, outside the school's main gates on Walton Way.

For her part, Keeton, 24, has released a statement condemning the KKK's support.

Powell said the latest group has expressed interest in getting a permit to protest but has yet to claim one.

“I told them to come get a permit but I haven’t seen one of them yet,” Powell said.

How many people will show up to the protests is not clear. Authorities said -- out of caution -- they are planning for a large number of people to appear. KKK members have said they expect to have 50 members outside the school.

Keeton, a counseling student, is involved in a lawsuit with the school after faculty members ordered her to undertake a remediation plan that required she expose herself to the homosexual community, which she claims is a violation of her free speech rights. This was after Keeton said she opposed homosexuality and would tell her gay clients "their behavior is morally wrong and then help the client change that behavior," according to an affidavit filed in the case.

School officials say it is not Keeton’s religious beliefs but her unwillingness to work toward being able to counsel homosexuals that prompted the remediation plan. A federal court judge agreed with them in August, allowing the school to expel Keeton from the counseling degree program if she did not finish the plan. Last month, Keeton said she was enrolled at ASU and employed as a counselor intern at Augusta Christian Schools.

The course work she is enrolled in is not the practicum-related class that the district judge -- in denying her attorneys' request for an injunction -- wouldn't make ASU allow her to attend. The internship doesn't qualify as her practicum, Keeton said.

Keeton, now appealing the federal court decision that upheld the remediation plan as constitutional, is enrolled at ASU and employed as a counselor intern at Augusta Christian Schools, she said.

Attorneys for the ASU faculty have filed a motion to dismiss the case and Keeton has until Nov. 2 to reply.

-Chronicle reports were used in this article.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

raul
raul 10/21/10 - 10:08 am
Getting to be quite a motely

Getting to be quite a motely crew!

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/21/10 - 10:29 am
Next, the Southern Poverty

Next, the Southern Poverty Law Center will protest the SCV which is protesting the KKK which is protesting ASU. Then the Tea Party will protest the SPLC but support the SCV against the KKK opposing ASU.
I have to go lie down for a while until the acronyms stop whirling...

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/21/10 - 11:30 am
This may be one of the most

This may be one of the most diversified protests Augusta has ever seen.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/21/10 - 11:58 am
Dixieman, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Dixieman,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Reminds me of line out of Hank Jr's song, "This is the coalition to ban coalitions'

This is going to be a good one,

Brad

Captain Awesome
Captain Awesome 10/21/10 - 12:09 pm
I hope everybody wears their

I hope everybody wears their uniforms. It will be like an awesome costume party!

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 10/21/10 - 12:34 pm
Now if we could only get

Now if we could only get PETA, NAMBLA, Greenpeace, Tea Party, American Nazi Party, NAACP and NRA members to show up we could have one huge love fest.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 10/21/10 - 12:34 pm
And right around

And right around Halloween....maybe someone will protest Halloween.....

swinter05
swinter05 10/21/10 - 12:43 pm
I think everyone should stay

I think everyone should stay home and pray. Pray that Jesus will soon return and we can live eternally in our heavenly home. This is sad. I 100% support Ms. Keeton and I'm glad she spoke against the KKK being there defending her. The KKK's ridiculous thinking, is not what Jesus speaks of either. So both sides that will be there rallying (KKK & gays), neither one represents the likeness of Jesus, or stands for what true Christians believe and practice. I pray that it stays peaceful and I think it's best to not travel down walton way and give attention to their insanity.

follower 10/21/10 - 12:56 pm
Swinter, where have you been?

Swinter, where have you been? I hope all is well. Missed you. ;)

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/21/10 - 01:02 pm
I'm Southern by the grace of

I'm Southern by the grace of God and conservative to the core. Sons of Confederate Veterans, don't diminish your stature by appearing with the kkk, naacp, gay rights or any other hate group.

ameliaf
ameliaf 10/21/10 - 01:02 pm
Wow. This is fun. I wonder

Wow. This is fun.

I wonder if the Sons of Confederate Veterans really get that they are aligning themselves with gay rights groups? I mean, it is one thing to rally against the Klan - and good for them for doing it.

Well, there were gays who fought in the War of Northern Aggression for both sides. Maybe they are recognizing that.

I bet they back out to avoid a confusing message. I would actually rather the good Sons don't become embroiled in gay rights issues or Keaton's Christian zealotry.

grinder48
grinder48 10/21/10 - 01:41 pm
just in time for Halloween !

just in time for Halloween ! ! !

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/21/10 - 02:32 pm
My brothers and I, all

We intend to protest all of the protesters.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/21/10 - 02:31 pm
SEBL = simians evolved beyond

SEBL = simians evolved beyond liberalism.

swinter05
swinter05 10/21/10 - 03:11 pm
Hi Follower!! I'm good, just

Hi Follower!! I'm good, just spending more time working instead of getting caught up in all the garbage on here. Hope your doing well. I'm sure we'll be sharing our comments on the same forum soon. Take care

Driver8
Driver8 10/21/10 - 07:12 pm
Yes, I will be there too,

Yes, I will be there too, specifically protesting johnson.cliff for protesting against the protesters. I'm not sure which side of the street I'll be on. I will look for your sign, johnson.cliff

dokken3605
dokken3605 10/21/10 - 07:15 pm
ameliaf I have to agree with

ameliaf I have to agree with you on this one im a member of the largest camp locally and know of none of our members joining in this protest .Yes we should Protest as Son's of Confederate Veteran's against the kkk but this is not the right forumn for us at this time I for one will not be there .

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/21/10 - 07:37 pm
LOL this is getting even

LOL this is getting even better

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 10/21/10 - 07:39 pm
The Sons of Confederate

The Sons of Confederate Veterans will not protest due to this becoming a Zoo,if it was Klan rally only, we would come out against the Klan but this is not.

CSAcitizen
CSAcitizen 10/21/10 - 09:48 pm
IF this rouge group joins the

IF this rouge group joins the likes of the KKK, they will no longer be "of the south" since the KKK is a Yankee org and group, not from or of the south. The KK was of the south and they had a totally opposite purpose then the KKK had. Oh if only TRUE history would be exposed and sought after. All the govt schools have force-taught lies and propaganda for the past 150 years. http://home1.gte.net/carriet/KKK_Truth.htm

bclicious
bclicious 10/21/10 - 09:51 pm
This is just freakin

This is just freakin awesome!!! We have now completely lost sight of why all this started in the first place, and whatever takes place next has no bearing on that original matter whatsoever!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/21/10 - 10:25 pm
CSAcitizen wrote: IF this

CSAcitizen wrote:

IF this rouge group joins the likes of the KKK. . . .

Well, I can tell you that if my rouge group joins something, it will be prettier than the KKK!

Dakotahgeo
Dakotahgeo 10/21/10 - 11:22 pm
swinter... you sound

swinter... you sound positively... religious, lolol. As in American christian Taliban! Did you graduate from Liberty University? Sorry, my God doesn't work that way. bclicious has a more appropriate stance on this story. If Mssssssssss. Keeton wants to poison minds, let her do it in the AcT schools where the students already have a leg up on being brain-washed. Second coming, my butt!

TELLITLIKEITIS1
TELLITLIKEITIS1 10/22/10 - 07:10 am
I'm sure the ignorant excuses

I'm sure the ignorant excuses for men will get "lost" again.....what grown man wears white robes to protest anyway???

Cadence
Cadence 10/22/10 - 07:55 am
This is great. These honored

This is great. These honored guests will need to get hotel rooms, buy food and gas, maybe pick up some golf related trinkets. It could boost our economy after loosing the rodeo. Maybe Augusta could become the cool place to come and protest things. Think of the jobs it will create. Selling tee shirts, chili dog stands, lots of extra security...I'm not serious but then again...

mable8
mable8 10/22/10 - 09:01 am
Protesters protesting the

Protesters protesting the protesters who are protesting the protesters---should be an interesting day when it does occur. See what you started KKK? Oh well, it should be a good day for businesses, especially the eateries. After all that hard protesting, they get hungry and don't mind unleashing their wallets for a meal and a drink. Perhaps a few will grace our retail vendors and make a few purchases to take with them or even buy a new outfit or two. Of course, we won't know who the KKK members are because they will have ditched their spook robes, but that's okay--the color of money remains green.

mable8
mable8 10/22/10 - 09:08 am
johnson.cliff: "My brothers

johnson.cliff: "My brothers and I, all members of SEBL, will be there in our natural, but attractive, fur coats. Nude, so to speak." Please don't do this unless you have something spectacular to reveal...which is very unlikely; seen one, seen 'em all!