Ga. father receives video of dead daughter

GRIFFIN, Ga.  — Almost three months after his daughter died, a Georgia father received a graphic cell phone video taken by a firefighter that shows his daughter's fatal injuries.

Jeff Kempson tells WAGA-TV that he doesn't understand why a firefighter would have taken that video of his daughter, 23-year-old Dayna Kempson-Schacht. She died July 17 when her car crashed into trees.

The Spalding County Sheriff's office said a county firefighter took the video on his personal cell phone and shared it with other firefighters. An unknown firefighter took the video to a bar, where he texted it to other patrons. From there, the video spread.

Investigators said they don't believe taking or sharing that video broke the law. But the county is investigating whether internal rules were violated.

___

Comments (18)

curly123053
curly123053 10/18/10 - 08:26 am

There are Federal laws

There are Federal laws related to the Federal Privacy Acts that may have been violated here. These are unethical and unprofessional firefighters who did this type of thing. I spent 22 years as an EMT and 15 yrs on a volunteer fire department and I find this conduct reprehensible. These firefighters need to have their cerifications yanked and kicked out of any kind of service that provides public care. I hope the federal government gets involved to see if privacy laws related to HIPPA were violated.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/18/10 - 08:26 am

Whoever did this is a total

Whoever did this is a total jerk. Respect your position in the community or vacate it. Firefighting isn't a game, its an honorable profession. Prayers to the victim's father who has to relive this again because of the callousness of someone that doesn't deserve to wear the Maltese cross.

mable8
mable8 10/18/10 - 08:41 am

This is the most disgusting

This is the most disgusting display of unprofessional behavior I've ever heard of. Those involved should be dismissed from their positions immediately and barred forever from being a firefighter again. As for claiming they may not have violated any laws, I would differ on that; what do they think HIPPA is about? Perhaps there are other State laws that can be considered here.

Prayers and condolences to the grieving family; I am so sorry that you have to go through the pain of your loss again and in such a spiteful manner. God be with you.

airbud7
airbud7 10/18/10 - 08:58 am

I agree with all ↑

I agree with all ↑

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/18/10 - 09:05 am

mable, good thoughts, but

mable, good thoughts, but Firefighters are not considered a Covered Entity under HIPPA.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/18/10 - 09:08 am

I second all the opinions

I second all the opinions expressed above - utterly inhumane and disgusting!!

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/18/10 - 09:16 am

I don't know the laws on this

I don't know the laws on this subject however ethically I think this fireman was very wrong. My prayers certainly go to this family.

Lawpig
Lawpig 10/18/10 - 10:58 am

How about publication of

How about publication of private facts? Or intentional infliction of emotional distress. This certainly seems to satisfy the outrageous requirement.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/18/10 - 11:14 am

This is in the same

This is in the same unbelievably bad taste as the Westboro Church picketing service men's funerals. It caused needless additional pain to grieving family members and is utterly sickening!!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/18/10 - 11:16 am

You have scum in all walks of

You have scum in all walks of "life".

joeuser
joeuser 10/18/10 - 11:23 am

That person needs to be

That person needs to be terminated immediately and have any certification revoked for life. Period.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 10/18/10 - 01:54 pm

Sometimes the hurt goes much

Sometimes the hurt goes much deeper than any anger. It rehashes it and my first instinct was to cry for the father that received this. God, give him Peace for all the days of his life. I cannot imagine the hurt this man feels on any given day.

dvdbiggs
dvdbiggs 10/18/10 - 02:36 pm

This incident is absolutely

This incident is absolutely disgusting.........Fire the jerk.

sassylassie
sassylassie 10/18/10 - 02:43 pm

What kind of person, employed

What kind of person, employed as a first responder, would take a picture of a recently deceased individual's injuries in this manner? And then SHARE them? A very, very sick one. I pray the family has some recourse in this situation. May Mr. Kempson's daughter rest in peace.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/18/10 - 03:51 pm

Yeah, the fireman who took

Yeah, the fireman who took the original video was certainly wrong. But, in my opinion, every person who passed along that video was equally wrong! Why would you do that?? Morbid curiosity?? And who in the world would be so callous...so insensitive...so cold, as to send the stinking video to the girl's grieving father??? And don't give me any crud about the father requesting it! I don't care if the man did, he did NOT deserve to re-live that horrible incident all over again. I know I sure wouldn't.

getalife
getalife 10/18/10 - 04:01 pm

The guy that took the video

The guy that took the video is a total insensitive JERK. He should be fired along with the others that transmitted the video. I think the father should look into what laws they violated and file suit against them.

Indigo
Indigo 10/18/10 - 04:43 pm

What a moron.

What a moron.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/18/10 - 04:44 pm

The person that sent the

The person that sent the video to Mr. Kempson should be identified in the local papers so he'll be ostracized from all polite society and forced to move to a location where he's unknown.

getalife
getalife 10/19/10 - 09:41 am

The following link will take

The following link will take you to the story in the Griffin Daily News. I saw the father this am on Fox News and felt so sorry for him. http://www.griffindailynews.com/view/full_story/9959066/article-Firefigh...