Elderly driver crashes into Savannah post office

Richard Burkhart/ Morris News Service
Dr. Alexeev Jones and U.S. Postal Service Maintenance Manager, Kenneth Hester pile up debris after a car ran through the front of the Bingville Post Office on Montgomery St. Tuesday.
Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010 7:02 AM
Last updated 7:04 AM

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- An elderly driver suffered minor injuries Tuesday evening after a car crashed into the Bingville Station United States Post Office, according to Savannah-Chatham police.

About 5 p.m., a car pulled up to the post office near the intersection of Montgomery and West 52nd streets, hopped a curb and crashed through a decorative post and then a window, said Gena Moore, metro police spokeswoman.

The driver wasn't badly injured, and a nearby tow service removed the vehicle less than an hour after the crash occurred, according to officers at the scene.

Bingville Station Postmaster Denise Holguin said no customers were inside the building when the crash occurred. It was the second time in three years the exact same area of the structure was hit by a car, Holguin said.

By about 5:45 p.m., postal workers and a customer - Alexeev Jones - were seen cleaning up the mess.

"I showed up to check my mailbox, saw this and decided to help," Jones said. "This is a historic post office - I've been coming here for years."

Holguin said the debris would be cleaned up so customers could access their mailboxes by Tuesday night.

Big_vike
Big_vike 10/13/10 - 09:02 am
Make Drivers skills test an

Make Drivers skills test an annual requirement for drivers over 70 before they kill another post office.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/13/10 - 11:06 am
@Big_vike - I know, right!

@Big_vike - I know, right! They could get hurt or hurt someone else.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 10/13/10 - 01:06 pm
Same thing happened this past

Same thing happened this past weekend @ the Food Lion shopping center on Old Petersburg Rd.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 10/13/10 - 01:08 pm
I know a few people in their

I know a few people in their 30s that should be taking a road skills test again!

Hey, potential money maker? Require it every 5-10 years for all drivers.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/13/10 - 01:15 pm
The article doesn't state the

The article doesn't state the driver's age. If you're 18, 50 seems elderly. If you're 70, 90 would be elderly.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/13/10 - 02:48 pm
I think it may be time for

I think it may be time for the elderly driver to look for alternative transportation and hang up their car keys....

pommom38
pommom38 10/13/10 - 02:56 pm
What? No explanation? Usually

What? No explanation?
Usually when this happens, it is a classic, *oh, I thought I was hitting the brake and I hit the gas instead*.
I still have NO idea how one mixes up the two.. It isn't rocket science where the pedals are located!!

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.