4 students facing charges suspended

Four students facing criminal charges have been suspended pending the outcome of court proceedings, according to Richmond County tribunal findings made public today.

At Josey High School, a student identified as T.T. is facing charges of possession of marijuana and possession of cocaine. As such, he met the qualifications of Rule 32, which determines that students charged with drug violations or other serious criminal violations "may be removed from the school ... when it is necessary to protect other persons or property at the school or avoid substantial disruption to school operations or the educational process," the tribunal found.

T.T. was suspended, with the option to attend the Tubman Education Center Alternative Program. On final disposition of the criminal charges, he will be brought before the tribunal to determine his placement.

At Cross Creek High School, a student identified as J.S. is facing charges of burglary, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm. The tribunal determined he also met the Rule 32 qualifications and, as such, was suspended until final disposition of the charges.

On final disposition, he will be brought before the tribunal to determine his placement.

At Morgan Road and Murphey middle schools, students identified as T.H. and L.N. are each facing a felony charge of aggravated sodomy. They met Rule 32 qualifications, the tribunal found, and were suspended until final disposition of the charges.

On final disposition, the students will be brought before the tribunal to determine their placement.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/13/10 - 02:51 pm
This is sad, but it's what we

This is sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

iLove
iLove 10/13/10 - 03:14 pm
Farmboy, you are hilarious.

Farmboy, you are hilarious. :/

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/13/10 - 03:16 pm
Middle School? Aggravated

Middle School? Aggravated Sodomy? These 2 need to be put under the school.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/13/10 - 04:06 pm
These are only the ones they

These are only the ones they were FORCED to deal with because of court proceedings. As the saying goes, "tip of the iceberg". They are turning their heads and covering up many many many more because it is easier to ignore the problem than it is to deal with the problem. That is also the same reason we have so many worthless teachers. To much trouble to fight the union so just ignore the problem or move it around.

ozarkalien
ozarkalien 10/13/10 - 04:28 pm
DIC: it's really sad that all

DIC: it's really sad that all you can add to the post is to blame the teachers.
Why is it the teachers fault. Most of these kids come from broken homes without a dad or mom. Some have been raised without or very little discipline. I read in the paper where there is 13,14,15 yr old kids out at 2 in the morning getting into trouble. Where are the parents? The family unit is broken yet you want to blame the teachers. I'm sure there are some teachers that are better then others just like there are people that can do your job better than you. To blame all teachers and unions is just foolish. I can't say want I want because they will pull my comments but
you owe the teachers an apology. I wish to thank my teachers for all they did for me.

jamie8706
jamie8706 10/13/10 - 05:01 pm
I wish these kids will just

I wish these kids will just go to school and learn and stop what ever they are doing.

fred1
fred1 10/13/10 - 06:08 pm
And 90% of all students will

And 90% of all students will graduate!

lylagirl
lylagirl 10/13/10 - 06:32 pm
We need a new attitude in

We need a new attitude in this county...I hope Dr. Roberson knows what he is dealing with...especially some of the people working closely around him....

countyman
countyman 10/13/10 - 07:08 pm
The current graduation rate

The current graduation rate is almost 80%. Increasing the graduation rate by 10% over the next few years can easily be accomplished.. The number 1 school in the entire state of GA. And the only school in Georgia to make the top 100 schools in america. Davidson is located in downtown Augusta.

Mudfish
Mudfish 10/13/10 - 07:15 pm
Unfortunately, dichotomy has

Unfortunately, dichotomy has a point about teachers. I am in my fifties and when I went to school I had several teachers who could not speak with proper grammar. When they wrote on the black boards, yes still black boards, they could not construct a proper sentence either.
They,also, would look aside when some students would do something wrong. I am sorry to say, but these teachers were promoted to the higher jobs in the board of education. If this happened back then, what is happening now?

dani
dani 10/13/10 - 07:49 pm
What would be the graduation

What would be the graduation rate for those schools listed in the article?

This was intended for the 2 high schools.

momster59
momster59 10/13/10 - 08:27 pm
First of all dichotomy, there

First of all dichotomy, there is no teacher's union in GA. I agree with ozarkalien, you owe all of us hard working teachers who are dealing with these kids and even worse in a classroom. The problem with these sort of students is that a loving parent like me did not raise them. I have no control over what happens in their lives outside of school, but have to deal with the repercussions in my classroom.

Mudfish, I would love to know where you went to school. I am a well educated professional as are my colleagues. I not only have to work hard to keep up my certification, but put in many hours ensuring I have my lessons in order and my kids have what they need to be successful. Tie that in with the ever increasing discipline problems and lack of parental support and disrespect from ignorance like is displayed here.

I teach because I love to help make changes in these young people's lives and help them to be successful adults. Good teachers leave the profession because they get burned out from the lack of support from parents, administration and the community. By the way, I'm in my 50's and had excellent teachers.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/13/10 - 08:28 pm
When you have educators and

When you have educators and adults in the public arena, such as in the media, saying they want to "axe" you something (sounds painful), they can't pronounce SPLOST (clue: it isn't pronounced "SPLOSH" - that is an "ST" at the end, not an "SH"), and saying "chuldren" instead of "children" you wonder if the children have ANY mentors that can read and speak the English language. I met a child in the third grade gifted program that did not know his multiplication tables. What???

countyman
countyman 10/13/10 - 08:41 pm
Cross Creek is a much better

Cross Creek is a much better school than MAJORITY of the schools in the metro and CSRA. The current graduation rate is around 80%. Since Cross Creek is a good school and continues to improve every year. I'm sure the rate will increased to around 85% in 2011.

The graduation rate at Josey is around 72%. It 2011 it should increase to 75%-77%.

LBenedict
LBenedict 10/13/10 - 08:51 pm
dichotomy...there are NO

dichotomy...there are NO teachers' unions in Georgia. There are professional associations that BoE employees may join, but there are no unions. And how, praytell, is the behavior of students the fault of the teachers? Teachers would love to have disruptive and unruly students removed, but, state and federal laws, and funding issues, put the kibosh on that. Teachers are not the final say in what happens...duh

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 10/13/10 - 11:58 pm
Families broken, parents less

Families broken, parents less interested in participating in a child's education as the child ages, parent's afraid to discipline their kids and are quick to say "my child didn't do anything" then turn around and expect the school system to be fulltime baby sitters. Discipline is a problem in our classrooms because we speak of what should be done and we go no further than words. Teachers need help and support by parents and administrators. Troubling students need to be dealt with quickly and if they choose to want a good quality education after that, we should give it another try. The problem is to broad and the years of apathy has only made it worst. Laws need amending, parents need to do some attending, teachers need defending and society should stop pretending.

mable8
mable8 10/14/10 - 12:13 am
So who's on the Richmond

So who's on the Richmond Tribunal? In the past, students who faced serious criminal charges were automatically suspended; no need for a "tribunal" since the felons were housed at the local detention center who provided a classroom for them as well as room and board as guest of the State. While it may be true that teachers need help and support from parents and administrators, if the teachers unions had not lobbied so hard to get the parents out of the educational loop some years ago, there most likely wouldn't be as many problems as there are now. I can say this because parents of my generation were involved; by the time my children went to school, parents were told to stay out of the educational arena and let the teachers do it all. Now they whine for parental involvement; problem is, you have students who grew up without parental involvement in the school systems who are today's parents and haven't a clue as to what it means. Consequently, I have no sympathy for the teachers today. And by the way, I did get involved with my children's education and was not appreciated for my efforts. As I told them at the time: "my children must attend school by law and as long as they are here I will be checking on them to make sure everything is okay. If you want my help, ask me but please don't make everything sound rosy only to tell me at the 9 week parent conference that things are going south. If you do that, what would you want me to say or do to correct the situation?"

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/10 - 05:32 am
As with anything you have the

As with anything you have the good and the bad. Momster59, I'm sure you area an excellent and caring teacher, but there are some teachers in the school system that aren't. It's odd that my son and I just had a conversation last night and he was complaining about his teacher. He said his class is so far behind all the other classes and that his teacher can't even spell (something about spelling a word wrong on the chalk board)...have I given my age away with that word. This class is his first class and he said it takes the teacher half the class to get organized, figure out what they need to be doing and he himself said she's unprepared. Now if a child is that observant.....that's sad. Guess it's time to get on the phone and have a conference and it's just the end of the first 9 weeks......I can see a headache starting.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...