Report: man punched for change, cigarettes

Monday, Oct. 11, 2010 12:06 PM
Last updated 12:16 PM

An Augusta man said he was punched and robbed by four men after refusing to give them change and cigarettes outside a convenience store, according to a police report.

The incident occurred about 6 p.m. Sunday near a Washington Road Circle K. After telling the men he didn't have any money, the victim went in the store to purchase cigarettes, the report said. When he returned outside, the four men surrounded him, punched him, held him to the ground and took $6 from his pockets.

Police later apprehended one of the suspects, the report said.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 10/11/10 - 12:10 pm
This is the exact reason that

This is the exact reason that I carry a Springfield XMD .40 everywhere I go in Augusta with me.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/11/10 - 12:11 pm
Does countyman smoke?

Does countyman smoke?

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 10/11/10 - 12:25 pm
Lot of Circle K's on

Lot of Circle K's on washington road. Anyone know which one? *cough*

edit: paul you need to upgrade that plastic gun and get you a 1911 tee-hee

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/11/10 - 12:42 pm
If there were anything right

If there were anything right in this world, this article would read Four Punks Shot Dead During Attempted Robbery. The world would be a better place. Folks, it is a combat zone out there and some of you are going to war unarmed. This did not happen at 2 A.M. in some godforsaken part of the city. This happened at 6 P.M., on Sunday, on Washington Rd. You have two options. Arm yourself or cower at home. If you don't arm yourself, I suggest you cower at home because the punks are bold, brazen, and have no fear of the law and our pansy judges.

exmedic
exmedic 10/11/10 - 01:00 pm
There seems to be so much

There seems to be so much info missing in this story. How old was the man? description of the robbers? what circle k on Washington road?
what is meant by " near a circle K" ? If this story is true and the thugs are waiting for someone to leave the store to rob them in broad daylight then it is time to arm oneself at all times.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/11/10 - 01:00 pm
Ok this is really getting out

Ok this is really getting out of hand here. This gas station is on a busy road. That time of day Washington Rd is packed with cars people etc. I so agree with dichotomy. Downtown I am always getting hounded by the "homeless" and "sob stories" Do I have to worry about a beat down because I said no?

wafflehead
wafflehead 10/11/10 - 01:46 pm
Just be sure it isn't the

Just be sure it isn't the same guys who stole the semi automatic weapons out of the pawn shop before you start shooting

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 10/11/10 - 01:57 pm
Armed, I am alarmed that you

Armed, I am alarmed that you just referred me to a different gun and can only assume by your cavalier attitude that you have never owned an XMD .40 by Springfield. Allow me to explain... first, it has a triple safety feature, which means less of a chance of me shooting someone accidentaly...one of these safety features is located on the grip, which makes you grip it like a real man/woman in order to fire it. Next is the trigger safety...this is basically two triggers in one ensuring that really do intend to fire...you simply cannot just flick your dainty little fingers on it and it fire. Next is what I call the "I have had years not only firing, but teaching weapons safety" safety. All of this combined, and the fact that it has just a little bit more power than a .9mm makes this the perfect pistol for me.

p.s. I am also severely alarmed that you said "tee hee" at the end of your comment

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/11/10 - 02:17 pm
AMEN dichotomy!!!! The

AMEN dichotomy!!!! The bleeding hearts and their so called "justice system" definitely aren't going to protect us or even slow it down to make the playing field a little more tolerable. 9 times out of 10 the wastes had no business walking the streets free again anyway and there definitely isn't any deterrent to new ones!! Arm yourselves people..... I'm waiting to see a few of those headlines too!!!

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/11/10 - 03:03 pm
I have a Taurus PT100, trying

I have a Taurus PT100, trying to find something a little different. Its too big to carry, so I keep it in the car.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 10/11/10 - 03:25 pm
Paul my last daily carry

Paul my last daily carry weapon was a 9mm XDM 3.8" model (coupled with Hornady Critical Defensive loads)

Also the 1911 has had a grip safety LOOOOOONG before any of these polymer plastic guns.

I was just kidding by the way.

I got rid of it because I did not like the trigger creep or pull and the XDM still does not have a readily available market for replacement trigger setups. Where as the 1911 has a huge market for replacement parts.

robbie1
robbie1 10/11/10 - 04:37 pm
I have noticed an increase in

I have noticed an increase in panhandlers that try to get me to come to their cars. I figure most of them want to look like they belong in the parking lot to security. Needless to say, I don't go near them. "I can hear you fine from here." Has anyone else noticed this trend?

flipa
flipa 10/11/10 - 05:06 pm
"I can hear you fine from

"I can hear you fine from here." That's the safest words ever spoken. They will save your life.

Armed; i carry exactly what you carry most times. However today i did swap out for the Ruger peacemaker cause the holster matches my shoes and belt for the day.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 10/11/10 - 05:18 pm
I switch between a blackhawk

I switch between a blackhawk serpa, black leather, or tan leather depending on my cloths too (lol!) I've gone through everyting from XDMs to Glocks for daily carry and I can say my officer sized 1911 is perfect for me.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/11/10 - 05:28 pm
Flipa, lol! Armed, the 1911

Flipa, lol! Armed, the 1911 to me has a little too much punch for an urban environment. Plus, it caps out at 8 rounds if I can remember correctly, which means you have to be pretty good if facing multiple targets.

Glocks are silly.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 10/11/10 - 05:45 pm
7+1 in my officer (basically

7+1 in my officer (basically compact size) 1911

The only place where I would be faced with multiple targets is a home robbery, which is what the AR-15 (40+1 Magpul Polymer Mag) is for. Situational awareness outside of the home should prevent any multi-target issues. Yea I still don't own a shotgun yet, but thats the next best thing.

/armchair general =P

TK3
TK3 10/11/10 - 05:55 pm
Always carry something

Always carry something reliable but one you can afford to lose, for awhile at least, as cops investigate any incident' you might become involved in.

flipa
flipa 10/11/10 - 07:41 pm
TK3; Yea it is a shame the

TK3; Yea it is a shame the property tax payer has to play chicken between the cops and the criminals all day to keep what he worked for:o(
That Circle K in front of the New Courthouse is my most likely pick for what we'll be blogging about next What do you guys think? Where's the most likely place the scum will hit next?
Did you guys hear they're going to fourlough a good chunk of our front lines? The city's sitting on OVER a BILLION $$$$$$$$ in valuable realestate all going to waste and they're dropping our front lines just as the coke and meth comes pouring in to make all the idiots go crazy. The city should start selling some of that land and paying our cops. It could also produce thousands of new jobs especially if they let me buy it.

corgimom
corgimom 10/12/10 - 12:13 am
You wonder about some people.

You wonder about some people.

If I was going into a convenience store, and one person, let alone a group, asked me for money, I'd go in the store- and call 911. Because I would say, "I'm about to be held up when I walk out of this store."

Some people need to WISE UP.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/12/10 - 12:48 am
"The thieves KNOW you have

"The thieves KNOW you have money- why would you be going into a convenience store if you didn't have money?"

Not true, it's 2010, most transactions these days are going through little thing called a credit or debit card. I don't carry cash on me except once in a blue moon and I go to convenience stores every single day!! I just say sorry all I have is a card or all I have is enough for my drink or whatever. If I called the cops every time someone with a couple of friends asked me for money or cigs the cops would put me on their nuisance list! He's not psychic, not a bad part of town, in broad daylight, with people coming and going regularly. Yeah its his fault. The only thing you are right about is that situation would make me be a little more careful and aware and maybe not go outside unless several people were around, especially if I parked like on the side of the store out of plain site. Sometimes there just nothing you can do to avoid these wastes of flesh. I just wish the headline read.. victim shoots and takes out four pieces of garbage permanently.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 10/12/10 - 12:32 pm
I never carry cash either -

I never carry cash either - only my debit card. I don't think I've carried cash in close to 5 years.