Georgia city rejects ban on pit bulls

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga.  - Douglasville lawmakers have narrowly rejected a proposed pit bull ban.

The ban was voted down 4-3 on Monday night as a capacity crowd looked on. Mayor Mickey Thompson has appointed a three-member ad hoc committee to bring back a dangerous dog ordinance for consideration on Oct. 28.

Had the ban been approved, the west Georgia city would have become one of the state's first to enact such a rule. The proposed ordinance would have allowed current pit bull owners to keep their dogs as long as they were registered and muzzled in public.

The measure gained momentum after a Douglasville woman was injured in July when she was bit by three loose pit bulls during a walk. In a separate incident, a police officer later had to shoot a pit bull that attacked a puppy.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/05/10 - 06:43 am
Well, it's good to know

Well, it's good to know Douglasville didn't fall into the "stupid hole".
As long as the "dangerous dog ordinance" refers to a breed instead of the dog, it's the wrong ordinance.
This same silly scare has been applied to German Shepherds, Doberman, and Rottwellers over the years. The ordinance was wrong those times, too.

TK3
TK3 10/05/10 - 07:10 am
It will still likely contain

It will still likely contain breed restrictions but in different terms. What is needed is a leash law.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 10/05/10 - 07:56 am
Have owned American and

Have owned American and Pitbulls most of my life and have never had an incident. However, I don't feed my dogs gunpowder to make them mean, they are trained from puppies to be kind to other dogs and they never leave my yard without a leash. Heck my pit lays around the deck with a cat and a Jack Russell. He's a bad dog alright. LMAO I have to admitt that not everyone can own a Bulldog. If you are not the alfa dog then it will be.

geminibuddha
geminibuddha 10/05/10 - 09:49 am
It is true that Pitbulls can

It is true that Pitbulls can be and usually are wonderful dogs to have and are loving to most families. However, most insurance companies require homeowners to have and extra clause in their policy to cover expensives incurred in the event of a "bite" incident. Dogs of any breed should be leashed when walking and not just be allowed to roam free around their perspective neighborhoods. I live in an area where just about everyone lets their dog roam the streets. This makes me nervous because I do walk our street for exercise and when you aren't familiar with a dog you encounter...it makes you fearful. In my opinion, dog owners who do NOT leash their dogs or keep them in an enclosed and fenced yard are irresponsible. Its usually just a matter of time before someone, including myself, will call animal control. That is just as tragic as if they bite someone.

geminibuddha
geminibuddha 10/05/10 - 10:10 am
Pardon the grammar and

Pardon the grammar and spelling in the previous comment. My coffee had not kicked in.

TK3
TK3 10/05/10 - 10:43 am
Pass the java and make it

Pass the java and make it black!

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/05/10 - 02:23 pm
I like my coffee like I like

I like my coffee like I like my women...

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.