Doctor charged with pointing gun at SC protesters

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Police have charged a physician who provides abortion procedures in Tennessee with pointing a gun at protesters outside a Charleston health care office.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported that 62-year-old Gary Boyle of Blountville, Tenn., was released on $25,000 bail Saturday. There was no answer Sunday at a telephone listing for Boyle in his hometown and the clinic was closed.

According to a police report, Boyle pulled out a handgun when he was approached by three abortion protesters in the parking lot at Charleston Women's Medical Center in West Ashley. It was not clear whether Boyle was performing abortions at the Charleston clinic.

The protesters are participating in a "40 Days for Life" campaign in which they pray outside the clinic 24 hours a day from Sept. 22 through Oct. 31.

TK3
TK3 10/03/10 - 03:00 pm
I take it the doctor

I take it the doctor considered them a threat and if so shown, then he did no wrong and the ones approaching him did. Like it or not, the Second Amendment assures your right to be armed anywhere, anytime, without having to have a government body or Red Coats permission...of course that all means nothing to Big Brother and the political courts now days. I even had one cop in Aiken tell me with a straight face that the City regulations overrule the Constitution/Bill Of Rights. So you are at risk of being arrested (right or wrong) if you carry without giving up your RIGHT for the governments PERMISSION, but your life is surely at risk if you are not always armed, with or without their "permission".

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/03/10 - 03:14 pm
It is ashame that a Dr. even

It is ashame that a Dr. even feels the need to have to carry a weapon for his own safety. That being said, if I was a Dr. and had protestors, etc. approaching me agressively, I would make sure I was armed and that they knew it. If he simply pulled our the weapon without pointing it at them then he shouldn't even have been arrested. They had no business approaching him as he was going to his car and if they were in an area without permission on the property then they should also be arrested for criminal trespass. Bottom line for the Dr. is that it is far better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

TK3
TK3 10/03/10 - 03:16 pm
P S: Beware, the First

P S: Beware, the First Amendment right to protest doesn't give you a right to accost anyone.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 10/03/10 - 03:37 pm
some dr's have been killed

some dr's have been killed over they abortion thing,so yes I would be carring a gun also if I did abortions,but some one needs to stand up against abortion,people are saying take our country back,thats why they are standing things,so this goes along with taking it back.

TK3
TK3 10/03/10 - 03:48 pm
I agree with Asitisinaug but

I agree with Asitisinaug but would add that, even if the Doctor pointed the gun. it could have been because he feared for his safety and therefore proper under color of law. The ones accosting him should be more careful about accosting someone, as next time they may not live to regret the mistake. I would be happy to serve on the Doctors jury if the DA is stupid enough to press any charges.

SCY385
SCY385 10/03/10 - 03:52 pm
People have the right to

People have the right to protest whatever they like, but its sounds like this doctor might have thought he was going to get hurt and that puts a different reflection on the matter. Doctors have been killed by some of these protestors so I am not surprised that some of them may have armed themselves. There are more peaceful ways of dealing with this issue than all of this aggression and violence. Eventually one of these protesters is going to wind up hurt or dead. The situation is very volatile and people on both sides need to step back and think a little before they do something that there is no coming back from. Nobody wants to shoot anyone, but nobody wants to be shot either. You have to be careful about how you approach people in situations like this.

a different drum
a different drum 10/03/10 - 03:52 pm
I don't think the Dr. should

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/03/10 - 05:00 pm
I am pro life/anti abortion,

I am pro life/anti abortion, I also believe in our right to bear arms. Protesting is great, but accosting someone is not (and stupid). If he was being harassed, accosted, followed, etc. he had every right to be prepared to defend himself. I may share the views of the protesters, but not their methods.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/03/10 - 06:09 pm
It's amazing that abortion

It's amazing that abortion rights activists have such disregard for human life.

dwb619
dwb619 10/03/10 - 06:33 pm
Don't think he was on his

Don't think he was on his property. Article says Charleston Women Medical Center. Doctor is list as resident of Tennessee. Hope he has a CWP that is recognized by the state, or his troubles are serious. I agree, if they were threatening, he was within his rights, but may not be legal.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/03/10 - 07:16 pm
SC has a reciprocity

SC has a reciprocity agreement with TN so if he had a permit in TN he should be legal. If the abortion protesters approached him in the parking lot then I do not blame him for pulling the weapon. The article says the police charged him but the DA may not see this as a winable case. Protesters can protest but they cannot harass or present themselves as a threat. If he had shot all three of them I would never vote to convict.

GGpap
GGpap 10/03/10 - 08:43 pm
Just an aside, and curious as

Just an aside, and curious as well: I recognize the fact that the individual charged IS a DOCTOR, and that he may indeed have a CWP from TN which is, as dichotomy tells us, recognized by SC...but...unlike the rest of us, are doctors immune from the CWP law that tells us concealed weapons (legal or not) are not allowed in or on medical properties? Just asking....

GGpap

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/03/10 - 09:01 pm
the other posters were

the other posters were 'bread'????

trimmy
trimmy 10/03/10 - 09:07 pm
I wonder how much big time

I wonder how much big time abortion doctors make. Are they doing this for the money or to help poor rape and incest victims. This world is so full of greed that doctors can actually get paid for killing babies. If one takes religion totally out of the picture, it's still horrifying to abort a baby because you're a whore.

trimmy
trimmy 10/03/10 - 09:24 pm
Stop filtering my Bible

Stop filtering my Bible words.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 10/03/10 - 10:21 pm
"I take it the doctor

"I take it the doctor considered them a threat and if so shown, then he did no wrong and the ones approaching him did." I'm amazed on a fairly often basis by people who read an article then take off on it with things that are mentioned NOWHERE in the article. Does this poster carry a gun for the purpose of approaching everyone he/she meets in a parking lot? There is absolutely NO mention of a threat to the doctor - HE is the one who apparently threatened the protestors (and lawful protestors are just as allowable as carrying a gun under the constitution) and he was arrested, not the protestors. Although violence against people who kill unborn babies isn't the answer, neither is killing an infant who should be safe in the mother's womb, regardless of what liberal judges have decided. "They had no business approaching him as he was going to his car and if they were in an area without permission on the property then they should also be arrested for criminal trespass." Another person reading what he/she wanted to see in the story - the article doesn't say whether or not they had permission to be on the property. Do you not have ANY sympathy for the poor babies that are being killed in utero by doctors who are sworn to PRESERVE life? "I don't think the Dr. should have been arrested -- people have the right to defend themselves or their property." The doctor is from Tennessee, the property is in South Carolina - HIS property? "According to a police report, Boyle pulled out a handgun when he was approached by three abortion protesters in the parking lot at Charleston Women's Medical Center in West Ashley." Nowhere does the article say the doctor was "accosted", it says he was approached, a world of difference. We are approached by people every day when we're in public - do we automatically pull a gun because we THINK they might be there to harm us? If the doctor performs abortions he obviously does life ending harm to babies without the use of a gun. Sorry but too many of you read things that were not mentioned in the article and therefore went off on tangents of your own. I wonder what the filtered word was ?

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen