Rebel flag irks SC neighborhood

Woman says she's free to display Confederate banner

SUMMERVILLE, S.C.  — Some residents of a historically black neighborhood in South Carolina are complaining about a new neighbor flying a Confederate flag on the front porch.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports residents of the neighborhood in the Charleston suburb of Summerville met Tuesday night to discuss what to do.

The Confederate banner is flying beside an American flag. A white woman who would not give her name said she is free to put whatever she wants in her yard, just as her neighbors are in theirs. Town Councilman Aaron Brown says she rejected city officials' suggestion to move the flag inside.

Residents say they understand some consider the flag a symbol of heritage, but the community feels it is a reminder of slavery and lynchings. They plan to take a petition to an Oct. 13 town council meeting.

airbud7
airbud7 09/29/10 - 08:28 am
Reminder of slavery and

Reminder of slavery and lynchings!!! SAY WHAT!!! Who in this town can remember that far back???

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 09/29/10 - 08:58 am
Flags, mosques, Nazi

Flags, mosques, Nazi paraphernalia their all just looking for something to gripe about.

The Shadow
The Shadow 09/29/10 - 08:59 am
Wow bankgirl. Racist much?

Wow bankgirl. Racist much?

KingJames
KingJames 09/29/10 - 09:08 am
Bankgirl, you are in no way

Bankgirl, you are in no way funny. Slavery and lynchings were problems, just like senseless shootings and killings are problems. All are inhumane.

The woman in Summerville is well within her right to display whatever she wants on her property. The flag is as much a part of American history as Martrin Luther King. It represents a lost cause and people who were willing to die for their beliefs. Though many African-Americans can't see it, the rebel flag is also very much a part of who we are. We should see it as part of our resilient will to survive under immense oppression.

follower 09/29/10 - 09:16 am
She is free to fly the flag.

She is free to fly the flag. But, like the mosque in N.Y., it's hardly showing respect for those that see it as a symbol of division.

Just as I would fight for the rights of those on these post with whom I disagree, I would do the same for this woman. Still doesn't change my opinion that her actions are inconsiderate.

KingJames, I really like what you said, "We should see it as a part of our resilient will to survive under immense oppression". That my friend, is not letting someone/something rent your head space.

JB
JB 09/29/10 - 09:32 am
Not everyone in the south had

Not everyone in the south had slaves but the whole region became impoverished after the civil war as they were punished because rich southern politicians threatened to suceed from the union. The souther way of life was ruined and some people like to cling to their heritage. Let's not forget that northern industry also promoted slavery in the south because they were profiting from southern cotton.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 09/29/10 - 10:01 am
So... if I flew the 1st

So... if I flew the 1st National flag (Stars and Bars) would anyone take offense to it or is it just the battle flag that is offensive? I need to know these things! Nah....all of my neighbors are Americans and I think I will stick with "Old Glory".

fish2
fish2 09/29/10 - 10:03 am
Concur KingJames

Concur KingJames

bankgirl
bankgirl 09/29/10 - 10:04 am
No I'm not racist. Most of my

No I'm not racist. Most of my good friends are black. What I meant was instead of letting these hoodlums (including whites) get a slap on the hand and let go they should be held to harsher punishments (like public hangings) and then maybe we wouldn't have as much crime and are jails wouldn't be overflowing as they are now.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/29/10 - 10:14 am
This woman must not be very

This woman must not be very bright. Who among the thinking set would move into a neighborhood knowing that they are in the minority, display an icon that would upset most of the community? Having angry neighbors is not conducive to a peaceful living atmosphere....

KingJames
KingJames 09/29/10 - 10:15 am
Follower, thank you. I view

Follower, thank you. I view stories about African-Americans' hard past as inspritation because we continue to exist and thrive through much adversity. When people say it reminds them of slavery and lynchings, they don't seem to get that it should remind them of survival against the odds.

JB, we don't have to fight the Civil War all over again this morning to agree that the lady is well within her rights to fly her flag. People usually start listing all the reasons they believe the war was fought, and what they believe were the true results of the war. Though I'm glad you appear to be well versed in the subject, the topic today is really about the woman's right to fly the flag. She could hoist the skull and crossed bones of a jolly rogers everyday, and it wouldn't make much difference because she has the right to do so. People have the right to smoke and drink alcohol, and because I don't agree with smoking and drinking doesn't make it any less their right to do so especially on their own property.

Chillen
Chillen 09/29/10 - 10:29 am
Too bad, so sad. Get over it

Too bad, so sad. Get over it folks. Why are some always looking for an excuse to prove that they are being discriminated against or harmed in some way.

Just go about your business and mind your own business!

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 09/29/10 - 10:33 am
Freedom of speech. Learn it.

Freedom of speech. Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Chillen
Chillen 09/29/10 - 10:35 am
This doesn't even compare to

This doesn't even compare to the mosque issue. The mosque site had thousands of American body parts on it from the falling of the WTC. Bodies of those who still have living friends, children and family. Slavery ended 145 years ago. If anyone alive still vividly remembers it, please let me know. I need to call the Guiness Book of World Records.

sliique
sliique 09/29/10 - 10:36 am
Were it me, I'd put a bullet

Were it me, I'd put a bullet hole thru it.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 09/29/10 - 10:40 am
sliique- come put a bullet

sliique- come put a bullet hole through mine,i have several flying you can choose from

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 09/29/10 - 10:48 am
Can they change the title of

Can they change the title of the article to say Confederate flag. Rebel flag just makes the title seem sloppy.

SCY385
SCY385 09/29/10 - 10:56 am
This woman has the right to

This woman has the right to fly this flag if she chooses to. That is her right in a country that allows for it. If the African Americans in her neighborhood don't like it, and I understand that too, they should just ignore the woman. Which is what should be done anyway. I have found that the best thing to do sometimes is ignore people. I refuse to get my blood pressure up over some things and this would be one of them. Maybe this woman has racist thoughts, and maybe not. Either way, I would ignore her.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/29/10 - 10:58 am
History is a shared memory. I

History is a shared memory. I see people criticizing those that oppose the flag because "they weren't there to remember it." Well, neither was the crazy flag lady. She has absolutely no connection in this life to the Confederacy. If fact, not a single Southerner does. If she can lay claim to her heritage, then what's wrong with blacks claiming theirs? Why on earth would blacks ever see the Rebel flag as more than a symbol of their suppression? And yet, many expect them too.

That's not to say that the crazy flag lady shouldn't be allowed to fly the flag. By all means, it is America and she should. But she is most likely a crazy flag lady

corgimom
corgimom 09/29/10 - 11:04 am
"They plan to take a petition

"They plan to take a petition to an Oct. 13 town council meeting."

Good luck to them, the Constitution gives her the right to free speech.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 09/29/10 - 11:40 am
Why she got to be a “white”

Why she got to be a “white” woman? Haven't we earned the right to be called Caucasian, Anglo Saxon or something!! White woman sounds so negative! lol I went to the beach this summer and only saw one white woman. The rest were olive or tan colored. But that one lady she was definately white.

The Shadow
The Shadow 09/29/10 - 11:40 am
"This doesn't even compare to

"This doesn't even compare to the mosque issue. The mosque site had thousands of American body parts on it from the falling of the WTC"

Chillen you realize the site of the proposed Mosque is a few blocks and AROUND THE CORNER from Ground Zero right? You can't even see Ground Zero from the sight. The Mosque is not right next door to Ground Zero. The fact that you think it is shows me how little informed you are on the issue.

KingJames
KingJames 09/29/10 - 11:46 am
C2Soldier, maybe she is

C2Soldier, maybe she is called a "white" woman instead of caucasian or anglo saxon for the same reason African-Americans are called Black. Old habits die hard. If I have to mention demographics, I make a point to use whatever seems to be the most commonly accepted name for certain groups. However, some people feel they are in charge of demographic labels, and can't understand why Blacks want to be called African-Americans. That argument shows up in comments from time to time.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 09/29/10 - 11:52 am
KJ>>> Im just trying to

KJ>>> Im just trying to lighten things up. I will call people anything they want me to call them. If you want to be called a olive American. I can do it. Black, white, olive, tan, green, yellow or blue doesn't matter. American is the appropriate term. unless you are a "white" woman from Africa...then I get confussed. ;) jk kj

Lawpig
Lawpig 09/29/10 - 11:58 am
Airbud, considering that they

Airbud, considering that they were still lynching black people and blowing up black churches while flying the Conferate flag about forty years ago, I would imagine that a lot of people can remember back to that time period.

reader54
reader54 09/29/10 - 12:01 pm
Regardless of your beliefs, I

Regardless of your beliefs, I admire her backbone.

KingJames
KingJames 09/29/10 - 12:02 pm
C2Soldier, I knew you were

C2Soldier, I knew you were kidding when I saw your reference to the one white woman at the beach.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/29/10 - 12:05 pm
Ah, the famous "right not to

Ah, the famous "right not to be offended or irritated" found -- where is it again? -- in our Constitution.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 09/29/10 - 12:12 pm
I look at Germany when I

I look at Germany when I think of racism. Germany has taken every camp and turned it into a monument to those who died there. They say it was done so that no one would forget and history would never repeat the horrible things that happened. I think we could learn a lesson from them.

Chillen
Chillen 09/29/10 - 12:13 pm
the shadow. Spoken like a

the shadow. Spoken like a true muslim-loving mosque supporter. Yes, the site is several blocks away, duh! However, the debris & wreckage spread for many blocks. Airplane landing gear was even found in the building that sits on the site of the proposed mosque. That's how far stuff spread.