Deputies believe attack was hallucination

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office has closed the case involving a Goshen woman who reported she fought off a rapist in her home on Sept. 14, authorities said.

The woman told police she'd fired a gun and kicked the intruder between the legs after the man, armed with a "razor blade" tried to undress her at a residence on the 4000 block of Burning Tree Lane.

Her shot missed, and the man scaled a fence and escaped, according to an initial police report.

Sheriff's Sgt. Blaise Dresser said deputies believe the woman hallucinated the attack while under the influence of prescribed medication.

OhWell
OhWell 09/26/10 - 06:43 pm
Give me some of that

Give me some of that medicine, I could take a trip and never leave home.

cristinadh
cristinadh 09/26/10 - 06:59 pm
I need some of that too!!!

I need some of that too!!!

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/26/10 - 07:18 pm
Ummm....that's some pretty

Ummm....that's some pretty strong stuff to hallucinate something like that.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 09/26/10 - 07:30 pm
So if she had hit someone

So if she had hit someone with that errant gunshot, would she have been charged? She still should be charged with Reckless Conduct!

pommom38
pommom38 09/26/10 - 07:54 pm
A really BAD dream perhaps??

A really BAD dream perhaps?? I mean come on.. I don't know what type of pain medication causes that much of a story, but I dang well don't want none of it!!
That would explain though why she missed the guy and there wasn't a description well enough to find the person.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/01/12 - 07:29 pm
Deleted

Deleted

pommom38
pommom38 09/26/10 - 09:02 pm
It isn't the AC's job to

It isn't the AC's job to *dig* into this, it is the law's job.
Goshen already had a black eye from a previous incident, (burglary) but so what, almost every dang neighborhood is being hit with crime.
AC isn't stupid to open theirselves up to a lawsuit if they went by what *people in goshen* say, then find out it really did happen.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/26/10 - 09:03 pm
This sad story is why I

This sad story is why I continue to urge the Augusta Chronicle to return to the principles of Journalism 101. Don't publish this type of story until you have corroborating evidence or at least have statements from a minimum of four witnesses with contrary opinions.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/26/10 - 10:13 pm
I hope that the cops took the

I hope that the cops took the gun away from her (if she ever had one in the first place) as in her condition she's a menace to society. I also hope that this woman doesn't drive. Can you imagine her behind the wheel in this sort of mental state?

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/27/10 - 12:37 am
One word: Ambien.

One word: Ambien.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/27/10 - 12:39 am
LL, first off, I would rather

LL, first off, I would rather the Chronicle put the public on notice of potential crime that turns out later to be untrue than not to receive such notice while more are victimized. Second, the article attributed the reported crime to the appropriate source. It's up to the reader how much credibility to place in that source.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 09/27/10 - 03:25 am
Burningtree is quite a long

Burningtree is quite a long street that winds through the neighborhood. I had doubts about the validity of the story as reported because details were so sketchy and the ones available just didn't line up. If she was close enough to get cuts, and close enough to kick him in a sensitive area how could she possibly miss with a gun? It was really scary, to me, in that my son had walked to work that morning and was dressed in, you guessed it, all white. He could have been picked up because of this loony tune. I'd be willing to lay odds that the "medication" she was on wasn't prescribed by Walgreen's. It's just like Judge Judy says, "'If it doesn't make sense it isn't true."

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/10 - 04:44 am
Drugs can play tricks on your

Drugs can play tricks on your mind...now who would've thought that!
Give me some more Bud Light please.

disssman
disssman 09/27/10 - 05:31 am
OK. The woman wasn't raped

OK. The woman wasn't raped or an attempt wasn't even made, so why are we protecting her? Had she pointed someone out as the rapist, like Brendags' son, his mug would have been all over the front page.

Techfan
Techfan 09/27/10 - 06:22 am
Nurses hate if an MD orders

Nurses hate if an MD orders Ambien for elderly folks. For whatever reason, it's just not compatible for most of them. The most common reaction seems to be for them to rip off their gown, pull out all of their IV's, and fight like a mad man (or woman) We've been kicked, bitten, hit, and had an all 'round good time (sarcasm). If there's any way out of it, we won't give it. There's also anecdotal evidence of sleep eating, walking, and even driving even in those not elderly. Good drug for some, not so good for others

Chillen
Chillen 09/27/10 - 08:38 am
Sorry, she sounds a little

Sorry, she sounds a little loony to me. I think she needs a check up from the neck up.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/27/10 - 09:00 am
I appreciate the follow-up

I appreciate the follow-up story. Feel bad for the woman and her family, though, hope she can be helped if this is all true.

flipa
flipa 09/27/10 - 10:38 am
Aiken County cops must be on

Aiken County cops must be on the same drug for thinking the guy who hit the convenience store owner in the head, grabbed her cash from the till and booked out the door would go all the way to Aiken, somehow get inside the home of a wealthy retired athlete, strangle her, pull her teeth out, burn her body to hide her fingerprints, then strangle another girl, pull her teeth out, put her body in some other auto other than the wealthy athletes, leave all the diamonds, gold, emeralds, pearls, cash, cars and valuables behind, take only a sterling silver ring with a green stone from the athletes’ finger, place it on the finger of the second strangled woman, drive her several miles away, place her in an empty field, and burn her body to hide the evidence. This is what Aiken County says Franklin Wright did to get the heat off them for not solving the murders of the two women who were strangled and burned in Aiken. They are DEFINITLY on better drugs than I’ve ever heard about. The really incredible thing about it is you guys bought Aiken Co’s malarkey hook line and sinker, so what YOU’RE EXCUSE? At LEAST the Goshen Girl can say she was on DRUGS…Ha ahhahaha….

• Aiken County murders of Shalamar Byrd and Yana Shencker. They're bodies were found on August 11th. When asked about the murder's Wright exclusively told 26 News they have the "wrong person."

MJ
MJ 09/27/10 - 09:21 am
Ambien walrus was the first

Ambien walrus was the first thing that came to my mind while reading this article.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/02/10 - 06:57 am
Regarding house burglaries in

Regarding house burglaries in the Goshen Communities.
We have had 5 reported in 6 months, and given we are a community that covers 10+ miles of roadway, with over 400 houses. Doesn't every community in Richmond Co. wish they had our statistics.... less than 1 per month for 400+ houses on average (10/400 = 0.025 of one percent). This low number has a lot to do with Goshen neighbors looking out for each other, Goshen having Richmond Counties best Neighborhood Watch Team, and a strong Resident's Association which collects voluntarily dues and then hires security patrols with the money.

What this means is 99.075% of the Goshen home owners are safe year around. Do you feel that safe? Well that's why I live in Goshen.

However, Goshen or not, no one wants thugs, gang punks, thieves and burglars thinking their subdivision can be easy pry, when it is anything but. It just causes unnecessary excitement for residents, and paperwork for the arresting officer in Goshen.

I am proud of my community can you say the same?
I for one, am tried of reading and hearing about how bad things are in the Richmond Co. communities. How about, some multi-day stories on turn-around communities and subdivisions that are making a come back or difference?

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.