News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Augusta man shot and killed early Saturday

Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010 10:06 AM
Last updated 9:12 PM

A 32-year-old man was shot to death early Saturday morning, the second murder in as many days in Augusta.

Deputies found Edward Cousette dead around 1:15 a.m. in the rear of Trinity Manor Apartments on the 2300 block of Barton Chapel Road.

Residents said they heard six gun shots before deputies arrived.

A motive is unclear but Sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew said there were eight investigators with the Major Case Squad working on the murder. No other details related to the murder were released.

John Harris' 82-year-old mother took cover in her bedroom closet when she heard shots ring out at the apartment complex near her house. Harris said the apartments are not well maintained and should be better lit to deter the drug dealers there.

"You've got a whole bunch of kids running around here. If there were lights and cameras, the dope boys wouldn't be out here," Harris said.

Cousette was not in the military but lived with his wife at Fort Gordon.

This is Augusta's 29th murder of the year.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/18/10 - 10:15 am
Watch the comments... Even

Watch the comments... Even though armed robberies, other robberies, nacortics, theft by taking, drug arrest, etc have decreased this year...

Some will only focus on the number of murders... Because it fits their agenda...

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/18/10 - 10:16 am
And the beat goes

And the beat goes on.....................

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/18/10 - 10:18 am
The per capita murder capital

The per capita murder capital of the US. If not now, will be soon.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/18/10 - 10:26 am
got to say countyman...of all

got to say countyman...of all the horrific crimes committed...murder is the worst..not exactly the one that you would want to to be on the rise while others fall ...........

countyman
19166
countyman 09/18/10 - 10:46 am
I knew somebody had to make a

I knew somebody had to make a false and overexaggerated comment before long.. It never fails on here...

Bettyboop, I agree murder is probably the worse crime. Several cities across the US are experiencing decreases in violent crime, rapes, robberies, etc but a increase in homicides..

Violent crime and crime rates still can decrease even when the number of homicides increase.

Violent crime in Richmond County decreased in 2009 compared to 2008. Even though we had 7 more murders in 2009 compared to 2008.

corgimom
corgimom 09/18/10 - 10:52 am
"Because it fits their

"Because it fits their agenda..."

My agenda is that human life is precious and that murder is WRONG, and people deserve to live in a safe community.

My agenda is that looking at arrests or crime stats does not present the full picture, because many crimes are committed that people don't get arrested for, and who would think that they do? Many crimes aren't even REPORTED.

My agenda is that I have people that I love in Augusta, and they do not deserve to be crime victims, let alone be murdered.

My agenda is that people NEED to speak out against crime and this slow rot of Augusta, and please, County Commissioners, DO THE RIGHT THING and give Sheriff Strength more money to hire more officers.

What's your agenda, Countyman?

PS: Countyman, this is 2010. What happened in 2009 or 2008, or in other cities, isn't relevant. It's what's happening CURRENTLY. And what that other poster said is true. You are one crime report away from changing your mind.

corgimom
corgimom 09/18/10 - 11:00 am
Countyman is looking at

Countyman is looking at different sites than I am, because aggravated assaults- which is one step short of murder, and is just a question of good luck on the part of the victim, are WAY up.

charliemanson
charliemanson 09/18/10 - 11:12 am
Paraphrasing Charles Darwin:

Paraphrasing Charles Darwin: "Conflict occurs when you produce more offspring than your environment can support."

Waymore
Waymore 09/18/10 - 11:14 am
Call me crazy, but one murder

Call me crazy, but one murder is one murder too many. Unfortunately, this cycle will continue until accountability becomes the norm.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/18/10 - 11:35 am
I only respond when people

I only respond when people misrepresent things.

Metro Augusta is alot safer than most cities our size.

The city of Augusta is alot safer than most cities its size.
This is a article on Durham, NC. It compares Durham against 10 peer cities(Augusta is one of them) in several categories. Augusta and Montgomery are the safest cities among them.

Flint, Michigan a city of 90-100k in 2010 had 45 homicides as of September. Augusta a city of over 200k in 2010 has 29. This is only one city compared to Augusta...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/18/10 - 11:42 am
52 weeks a year. We are in

52 weeks a year.

We are in week number what countryman?

What is the average number of murders per week?

Brad

KSL
KSL 09/18/10 - 11:51 am
I don't doubt your stats,

I don't doubt your stats, countyman. But I suggest to you that instead of continuously being defensive, that you show a bit of concern about the upward trend in the most horrendous of crimes. It is alarming and indicates there is some sort of escalation in a drug problem or gang problem that law enforcement really needs to address before Augusta becomes a murder capital.

Granted, if gang members and drug dealers want to kill each other off, it's ok by me. I just don't like them leaving family members as wards of the state, or the expense to the taxpayers of investigating, capturing, trying, and imprisoning them. Oh, I forgot, most likely defending them too at taxpayer expense.

fishman960
fishman960 09/18/10 - 11:46 am
All the statistics and all

All the statistics and all the articles about crime don't mean squat when your family is on the receiving end of a heinous murder.

CG, I read recently of your son and wish to express my condolences. I did not know of this case .

It is time for me to post again of the brutal murders of my wife's uncle, aunt and cousin. Two and a half years and counting till his day in court.

How does an individual stab 2 people 76 times?

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter where you are for crime to affect you.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/18/10 - 12:00 pm
KSL... I'm not being

KSL... I'm not being defensive, but only responding. 2008 had 6 less murders compared to 2007. A trend is 5-10 years.

blakkone
blakkone 09/18/10 - 12:16 pm
I wish everyone would stop

I wish everyone would stop with all the stats...less murder this year compared to that year. If there was only one murder in AUG for 2010 would you celebrate if it was your loved one that was murdered?

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/18/10 - 12:45 pm
What do the stats mean

What do the stats mean anyway? If the murder rate isn't as high as they were last year does that make this years victims less important? I, personally, think the crime rate in this area is very high. I have my reasons for believing that and cannot share them, but I can probably say I know as much as anyone about the level of crime and my information does not come from the newspaper or some stats on a website.

Mamafease
Mamafease 09/18/10 - 12:48 pm
Just had to comment today

Just had to comment today after reading the comments. When I did a report on Augusta while I was in college in the early 80's, Augusta was in the top 10 cities in the US for crime, and I believe the number 1 in VD. What an honor for us, right? As for the crime now, I'm sure we all know most of it is drug related. As for that, I have been told by two ex-druggies (my son and my brother) that Augusta (or Hephzibah, where they have supposedly been watching 4 drug houses for 30 years and nobody has been arrested at any of them) does not want to arrest the drug dealors because they make to much money arresting the drug users over and over. I believe it is true, and I think Richmond County needs to stop worrying about the money they make off of the dealors and arrest them, and then maybe the murder rate will go down.

Mamafease
Mamafease 09/18/10 - 01:05 pm
Sorry about posting that

Sorry about posting that twice, I guess it must have seemed mighty important. Also wanted to add that while my son was in jail for drug use, he watched murderers and rapists go home while he sat there. Also, heard about a woman who went to court this week for supposedly stealing something and the DA and her public defender were calling her crime heinous, yet they let murderers and drug dealers go home on bond, and guess what, she is still sitting there in jail. Why am I not surprised? I have always heard that Richmond County was only interested in the money, and I really do believe it. And innocent until proven guilty is a joke, if you can't afford a lawyer or a bondsman, you sit there for months before going to court whether you did anything or not.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/18/10 - 01:10 pm
The murder rate might be down

The murder rate might be down because you can only kill a person once... the process of elimination, you know. :-)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 01:39 pm
Fishman960, Thanks, and the

Fishman960, Thanks, and the added sad part is "The status of Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove today.

I sat in over 200 murder trials between 91 and 95. The shame is the one's that are killed are addressed as victims but the accused are always Mr/Mrs "who ever". Most times the picture of the victims before death is never allowed to be seen by the jury.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/18/10 - 02:10 pm
countyman, I will agree that

countyman, I will agree that Augusta may be lower in some crime statistics than other cities of comparable size, But please, just once admit that this is the Garden City, not the Garden of Eden.

woodymeister
woodymeister 09/18/10 - 02:22 pm
Want a solution? Look at

Want a solution? Look at Charleston SC for a model. They brought in Ruben Greenburg (sp?) and he cleaned up the city. He is a black police chief that didn't mind busting some heads to get the job done. He has since moved on to do the same thing in a larger city. Look at the facts - the leadership in our current time cannot get it done.

happychimer
happychimer 09/18/10 - 02:25 pm
WRDW reports that Cousette

WRDW reports that Cousette lived on Fort Gordon, but was not a member of the military. I heard that his wife is in the military and got back from Iraq not too long ago.

dmoon1
dmoon1 09/18/10 - 04:17 pm
Lord have mercy...what is

Lord have mercy...what is going on in Augusta? Way too much killing going on down there. Just glad I live an hour away.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/18/10 - 05:04 pm
CountyMan, it's great you

CountyMan, it's great you always try to put a positive light on Augusta as this city sure needs it. However, in reality, Augusta has many major issues and problems that simply are not being addressed. The leadership of Augusta, although it has gotten better is also a joke. We let convicted theives continue to work for us even when they steal from taxpayers, we try to justify why repeat offending drug dealers can be hired, we bury our heads in the sand on crime and violence while talking about ball fields and trolleys none of which will be used when people don't feel safe. As for your stats on crime, they are a joke and anyone involved in law enforcement knows so - you can use stats to prove your point either way. Many of the crimes you list go unreported but murder is pretty much one that always will make the stats. As far as fewer drug arrests, well, when you don't have enough officers, can't pay overtime and are barely able to keep up with the murders, drug arrests will greatly decrease. The commission needs to get its priorities straight and public safety, road infrastructure and education should be at the top. Until those areas are properly dealt with they should stop waisting hundreds of thousands of dollars studying if we need to have a trolly system at the tune of 10 million per mile or replacing a ball park that is in good condition and never sells out now or adding an aquarium downtown, etc. The Sheriff's Office is understaffed, paid far below the average salary/benefits for a department of its size even compared with other low paying southern departments. The Fire Department is in need of higher standards, equipment, etc. We have approximately 15 phone lines for 911 which can easily all be tied up with one major traffic accident, our schools have incidents of drugs and violence on a daily basis and we can't even graduate 50% of those trusted to the care of the RCBOE to be successful in life and the list goes on..... People don't come here to simply bash Augusta, I love Augusta, just not the direction it is continuing to head....same as the Country - Waste taxpayers money on politicians goals and dreams instead of the needs of the community or country.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/18/10 - 05:08 pm
Mamafease - I can assure you

Mamafease - I can assure you any narcotics officer is looking for the "big bust" and plenty of them are made in this area along with Aiken County. The officers working the streets don't get into the politics of it and could care less about what the courts make in fees, they are in fact looking for the largest amount of drugs and cash to seize and to make the best arrest possible. Columbia County is another story in itself and they continue to believe they don't have major drug issues and have failed to properly address the issue with enough manpower.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/18/10 - 06:28 pm
countyman, as others

countyman, as others mentioned above, one murder here is too many, but I guess you won't understand the crime problem here until you or someone you love become a victim, like many of us have been one or more times over the years. We are sick and tired of it. We didn't stay here to be some kind of social experiment. We love Augusta, its good citizens and we should be stand up for what is right. Ignoring or downplaying the crime problem is not right. Good people are suffering and/or leaving, if they haven't left already. Ask Greg Capers, one of a large family, who left a few years back because hep was tired of hearing gun fire at nearby motels on Washington Road, along with the financial incentives to move, propery values going down as property taxes are going up. (I got this info from one of Sylvia Cooper's old columns that I saved.)

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/18/10 - 06:30 pm
I see the double post

I see the double post problem. I think its because I edited a typo.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/18/10 - 06:50 pm
Some people can't be part of

Some people can't be part of civilization. It's not in their make-up.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/18/10 - 07:16 pm
The graduation rate in

The graduation rate in Augusta is 76.2%

Posting the crime stats of Augusta vs other cities isn't ignoring or downplaying crime. I'm putting into perspective the crime in Augusta.

Property values have increased significantly the last few months in Augusta. Augusta didn't get hard by the recession compared to most cities. The real estate market in Augusta is ALOT better than most of the nation. Not to mention the city rolled back taxes three times in a little over two weeks.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.