Fire at Hephzibah community center

A fire broke out at the Jesse Carroll Community Center in Hephzibah early today after hot coals in an indoor barbecue pit ignited some nearby cardboard in the building, according to the Hephzibah Fire Department.

The Windsor Spring Road facility only suffered “slight damage,” said Lt. Brian Tucker, who added that no one was in the building at the time.

The fire was reported about 5:45 a.m. and fire fighters were able to get it under control quickly, Tucker said.

The blaze was accidental, he added. The coals from the indoor barbecue pit apparently had not been doused all the way when they were put out.

 

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more