DeKalb girl, 7, dies playing with gun

Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010 4:17 PM
Last updated 6:34 PM

LITHONIA, Ga. - A 7-year-old girl has died after shooting herself with her mother's gun.

DeKalb County Police spokeswoman Mekka Parish says Keywanna Stewart was upstairs and alone Saturday morning when she accidentally shot herself while playing with her mother's gun.

Parish said the mother was not home at the time but other adults were downstairs in the home.

Authorities say no charges are expected to be filed.

30cal
30cal 09/12/10 - 04:43 pm
fire arm education is needed

fire arm education is needed not gun control. All MY grand children start learning at 5 yr old. have 8 from 7 to18 no accidents when they come visit they always ask about my newest gun and they get to handle it and fire it after a lesson on that gun. NOT don't touch . that only makes them want it more if they know about and how it works all the mystery is gone.
NO reason for children to die like this .EDUCATION

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/12/10 - 05:46 pm
Or... A trigger lock you can

Or... A trigger lock you can get for free at any police station in Georgia.

Mudfish
Mudfish 09/12/10 - 06:27 pm
I had a BB gun at 5 years

I had a BB gun at 5 years old, a .410 shotgun at 6 and a .22 rifle at 7. I was properly trained by my country cousin to handle those firearms and was only allowed to handle them loaded when supervised. I was allowed to handle them unloaded to maintain them and then put them away.
Instead of teaching children to stay away from a firearm, train them to properly handle them. Also, instead of trying to keep death away from them, let them know what death is and what can cause death and that it is a permanent thing. If you don't they become, "super human" that cannot be hurt or killed. That alone, is a very dangerous thing for them with a gun or auto or any other possible dangerous thing.

Ole School
Ole School 09/12/10 - 07:13 pm
Honestly , some adults just

Honestly , some adults just don`t need to own guns , or kids, I do not mean to reflect on present company , but its the truth . I have guns, no kids. maybe its meant to be a certain way....... God help the family......

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/12/10 - 07:38 pm
The mother should be charged

The mother should be charged with negligent homicide since she did not have the gun locked up so her daughter couldn't get it.

grouse
grouse 09/12/10 - 09:02 pm
No gun...no death by

No gun...no death by gun..simple as that.

cricketflea
cricketflea 09/13/10 - 09:01 am
I agree with you 100% 30cal!!

I agree with you 100% 30cal!! My son was EDUCATED the same way growing up. He is now a man who KNOWS how to handle and RESPECT firearms!!! Education is the KEY!!!!