Fatal crash reported on Highway 1 in Aiken today

Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 4:46 PM
Last updated 5:07 PM

A 63-year-old woman was killed this afternoon when her car was struck by a motorist who ran a red light at the intersection of Duncan Road and U.S. Highway 1, the Aiken County coroner reports.

Patricia Schar, of Bath, was driving her Buick LaSabre west on Duncan Road when she entered the intersection. Her car was hit by a Jeep Cherokee driven by 35-year-old Gabriel Weaver of Hephzibah, who failed to stop for a red light, Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Schar was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital where she died from her injuries around 1 p.m.

Carlton cited "inattention" as the cause of the wreck, the second fatal collision in Aiken County in the past 24 hours.

crackerjack
crackerjack 09/11/10 - 04:38 pm
Another life wasted for

Another life wasted for "inattention" and may God bless the Schar family and friends . I sure do hope Weavers cellphone records are checked.

curly123053
curly123053 09/11/10 - 05:15 pm
I do not think the cellphone

I do not think the cellphone records will amount to any other charge other than running a red light due to the spineless SC Legislature REFUSING to pass a ban on cellphone use while driving. If this becomes a case of inattention due to using a cellphone I will be contacting my SC Legislature members as I contacted them during the debate urging them to pass the ban. This will be blood on the hands of the SC Legislature if this is the case.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/11/10 - 05:35 pm
I agree with the law to ban

I agree with the law to ban phone usage while driving, but careless and inconsiderate drivers failed to stop at traffic lights and caused fatalities long before cellphones were invented.

bootsiegirl
bootsiegirl 09/11/10 - 07:44 pm
I agree with maggiemae. Cell

I agree with maggiemae. Cell phone usage should be banned while driving but there are drivers out there that do plenty of other things that cause "inattention" like putting on makeup while driving and so on. And lets not forget the drivers that just dont care about the well being of others at all. All they think about are themselves with their reckless driving!

curly123053
curly123053 09/11/10 - 08:08 pm
Can you believe I passed an

Can you believe I passed an SUV on the Aiken-Augusta Hwy this week and he had a book in front of him while driving? His speed was up and down and I figured he was on his phone, but I was wrong.

letthetruthbheard
letthetruthbheard 09/11/10 - 09:46 pm
First of all my prayers go

First of all my prayers go out to the Schar family and the Weaver family, this was a tragic accident! But I can assure you it was not due to inattention on Mr. Weaver's part but rather a medical issue. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but the coroner is not an accident investigator; you all may what to do research before you join the ban wagon. Proverbs 18:13 reads "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly(unreason, thoughtlessness) and shame unto him."

sweetsyntt
sweetsyntt 09/15/10 - 12:12 am
Ther are plenty of things

Ther are plenty of things people shouldn't be doing while driving and to be honest it will always be something, but in this case it was nothing intentional on the behalf of driver. He fell into a diabetic comma a condition he was unaware of. This is the only reason he ran the red light. He is still in critical condition and my love and prayers go out to his family as well as the to the Schar family. This man has spent the better half of his life trying to help people. He would never intentionally hurt, non-the-less kill anyone. It always another side to things. Try to focus on lifting both families in prayer and less on crucifying someone.