Vehicle hits runner, putting her in ICU

Tuesday, Aug 31, 2010 12:06 AM
Last updated 5:09 PM

AIKEN -- The South Carolina Highway Patrol is working to reconstruct a Monday morning accident that left a jogger in the intensive care unit of Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Paige Johnson, 39, was running in the eastbound lane of Herndon Dairy Road at 6:30 a.m. when she was hit by a vehicle driven by Michael Shumate, the patrol reported.

Johnson's running mate, Vickie Harby, 39, also of Aiken, was grazed by the vehicle.

No charges have been filed, according to the patrol.

Harby was wearing reflective tape on her clothes but Johnson wasn't, police said.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/31/10 - 05:07 pm
Burn, you get the prize

Burn, you get the prize today. Great comments, per usual.

Double Trouble
Double Trouble 08/31/10 - 05:14 pm
markremy, While I do hear

markremy, While I do hear what you are saying about "the middle of the road", I was using the work literally. Hwy 150 is a 2 lane highway. I live between Pollard's Corner and Thomson on it... Many of the cyclists up here ride that hwy right in the middle of the lane. Often 2 abreast. If a motor vehicle comes up behind them, they often will not move over so that a safe pass can be made. Instead, the motor vehicle is forced to either travel along at 10 or 15 mph until a passing zone is reached or go over into the other lane possibly on a curve or up an incline. Either way, it creates a very unsafe situation.

RAWR, I can't believe the absurdity of your comment. In my vehicle, I don't need to get out of the way of the log trucks.... Not because they couldn't do damage to it, but because it is capable of running a speed that is comparable to the log truck. I don't drive it at 15 MPH and block the traffic.

burninater
burninater 08/31/10 - 05:56 pm
thisisridiculous -- I see

thisisridiculous -- I see your pedestrian laws and raise you the SC bicycle laws!

SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths. (A) Except as provided in subsection (B), every bicyclist operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable. A bicyclist may, but is not required to, ride on the shoulder of the roadway in order to comply with the requirements of this subsection. (B) A bicyclist may ride in a lane other than the right-hand if only one lane is available that permits the bicyclist to continue on his intended route. (C) When operating a bicycle upon a roadway, a bicyclist must exercise due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. (D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

Bicycles are not pedestrians. Your post is entirely relevant to the individual hit while running on the road. It is entirely irrelevant to markremy's posts about bicycles.

Now, get your crap straight and realize that bicycles, unlike pedestrians, belong on the dern roads!

markremy
markremy 08/31/10 - 05:33 pm
I'm back from my run. Wow, I

I'm back from my run. Wow, I feel great! What did I miss?

sliique
sliique 08/31/10 - 06:36 pm
PUPPYMOMMA.....Amen!!!! Re:

PUPPYMOMMA.....Amen!!!! Re: spandex shorts. Those male bicycle riders look like Liberace and Elton John rolled into one. And, on Five Notch Road in North Augusta, they absolutely THINK they own the road!

treerock
treerock 08/31/10 - 06:53 pm
i can't believe the

i can't believe the concentrated number of mind-readers in the csra that state what they believe cyclists to think. what are the winning lottery numbers tonight? oh, now you want to shut up.

if all cyclists drove their automobiles, then the price of gas would dramatically increase as well as pollution. maybe you should start paying the true cost for inefficiently burning that fuel.

are all roads created and maintained with gasoline taxes only? yeah, you see how your argument is absurd. maybe i only use gasoline to mow my lawn. why do i need to pay that tax if it is only for road maintenance?

i see auto drivers fail to observe the laws daily. where's the moral indignation when a vehicular accident is reported?

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/31/10 - 08:44 pm
Well Double Trouble gets what

Well Double Trouble gets what I mean. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. No need to jump all over me. He said basically the same thing and no one jumped all over him. I know I'm not the most popular person here but damn!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 08/31/10 - 08:54 pm
Winning lottery number 871

Winning lottery number 871

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/31/10 - 08:57 pm
I have deemed a law that

I have deemed a law that makes gravity unfair to me when I jump out of a window on the eighth story. I expect to get the rights I've deemed for myself whenever I wish to make that high jump, regardless of how or where I land. It doesn't make any difference or not if I die, as long as I get to stand up for my rights.

Next week I'm going to demand my rights while jogging and bicycling, even if it means I may very well wind up in the hospital or morgue. The important thing is that I get my rights.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/31/10 - 11:29 pm
cyclists out there should

cyclists out there should take heed of some of the comments on here and be EXTRA careful about "idiots" on the road. I used to bike to work. Made alot more sense than driving 10 minutes. Oh and I lauuuuugh whenever someone complains about parking at the gym or having to wait for machines.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 08/31/10 - 11:48 pm
Instead of improving your

Instead of improving your health, you're gambling with your life and limbs when you run on a roadway in low visibility conditions or even if you blend in with the background. Drivers tend to notice big 18 wheeler trucks but they may not see small things. Runners in our neighborhood are carrying flashlights in their hands. The moving light is easier to notice than reflective tape.

markremy
markremy 09/01/10 - 10:38 am
@gaspringwater: Correct. This

@gaspringwater: Correct. This is why most runners are careful to be extra visible and are extra vigilant when running in such conditions. (See my previous statement: "Runners aren't stupid. And even the ones who are, have the instinct for self-preservation.") This is also why the vast majority of runners are never hit by cars and therefore never make the headlines. Even as more and more drivers are more and more interested in their cell phone conversations than in paying attention to their surroundings.

The fact is, we all "gamble with our life and limbs" every time we walk out the door. Whether we're heading out for a run or a bike ride or a walk or just driving to work. And accidents sometimes happen, despite everything. That's why they're called "accidents."

billoftt
billoftt 09/01/10 - 07:50 am
Treerock, If you save your

Treerock, If you save your receipts for gasoline purchased that is not used for road use, such as lawn equipment and boats, you can claim it from your state income taxes and get the state fuel taxes back.

treerock
treerock 09/01/10 - 09:59 am
thanks, billo. i really

thanks, billo. i really don't mind paying that gasoline tax when i mow my lawn as i use the roads (in my truck, but mostly on my bicycle). it was merely meant as a counterpoint to those posters stating that only those that paid the gasoline tax (i.e. automobile drivers) should be allowed access to our roads based on the misinformed idea of where the funding from the roads comes from in the first place.

megnarn
megnarn 09/01/10 - 03:40 pm
I can't understand why a

I can't understand why a runner at 06:30, on a busy road with no shoulders was not wearing a lot of lights! Really, although a fit person feels indestructible, we're not! Runners and bicyclists have to start wearing enough flashing lights and reflective gear that drivers are offended...look crazy! Be safe!