Vehicle hits runner, putting her in ICU

Tuesday, Aug 31, 2010 12:06 AM
Last updated 5:09 PM

AIKEN -- The South Carolina Highway Patrol is working to reconstruct a Monday morning accident that left a jogger in the intensive care unit of Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Paige Johnson, 39, was running in the eastbound lane of Herndon Dairy Road at 6:30 a.m. when she was hit by a vehicle driven by Michael Shumate, the patrol reported.

Johnson's running mate, Vickie Harby, 39, also of Aiken, was grazed by the vehicle.

No charges have been filed, according to the patrol.

Harby was wearing reflective tape on her clothes but Johnson wasn't, police said.

Double Trouble
Double Trouble 08/31/10 - 02:26 am
This is tragic and I

This is tragic and I sincerely hope that Ms. Johnson recovers fully. But why do runners and bicyclers think that they own the road...I have witnessed numerous bicyclers (and runners) who will get right in front of traffic as if they have every right to be there and the vehicle has none.
Once again, I am not making light of this... And really hope Ms. Johnson recovers fully.

3g
3g 08/31/10 - 05:28 am
This is why there are County

This is why there are County built parks , paths and tracks for the public to access and use instead of roads designed for motorized traffic only .

OMallen
OMallen 08/31/10 - 06:19 am
First, get off your cell

First, get off your cell phone and pay attention to the road.
Second, legally, bikes have the right to a FULL lane. Just like a motorcycle. Deal with it.
Third, County built parks aren't sufficient, aren't close to most people's houses and aren't built for runners. There are a couple of trails and paths, but you have to drive half an hour to get there before you can even work out. Most parks are built for kid's softball games.
Fourth, runners, running at night or early morning, should be running against traffic, off to the side of the road , with reflective clothing (or a light). Bicycles, on the other hand, are considered a vehicle, they go with traffic. In the dark they should have a head and tail light.
Finally, pay attention to the road and there won't be a problem.

airbud7
airbud7 08/31/10 - 06:27 am
OMallen you may be right

OMallen you may be right (bikes have the right to a FULL lane) but when you get hit buy a truck going 55 mph then my friend you must "Deal with it".

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/31/10 - 06:30 am
I can understand the

I can understand the convenience of running in the road where cars drive. Unfortunately, cars are very heavy and go so much faster than runners.

Does anyone know why cars don't drive on sidewalks?

My sympathies to the runner. I hope she recovers fully and is much wiser in the future.

Junket831
Junket831 08/31/10 - 06:48 am
OMallen has it about right,

OMallen has it about right, although in a collision the laws of physics tend to overide our civil and criminal law, except where responsibility for the accident falls. While in most cases the motor vehicle is at fault, bicyclists and runners need to take every precaution necessary to reduce the risk. Frankly most roads in the CSRA are very narrow with little to no shoulder. This raises the risk considerably. Without dedicated bike lanes or sidewalks in most communities bikers and runners need to weigh right of way with risk of harm.

john
john 08/31/10 - 07:58 am
i cycle and run. i can say

i cycle and run. i can say for the most part, people that cycle and run on roads understand that they are getting in the way and try to be courtious. we go single file when its tight and observe safety precautions. that said, there are those that cycle and run much like the slow pokes in the left lane. they are obnoxious. just because we have the right to be on the road, doesnt mean we have to take up the whole lane. Thats some great running and cycling out there where ms. johnson was hit. I pray for a speedy recovery. I agree with omallon. everyone needs to pay attention.

fish2
fish2 08/31/10 - 07:36 am
Lets see, Page was running

Lets see, Page was running for her health and ended up in the intensive care unit. I ride a bicycle and stay off the road as much as possible to avoid what has happened here. There are plenty of places to ride and run without jeopardizing your health or life.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 08/31/10 - 07:45 am
I agree with what OMallen

I agree with what OMallen said about running against traffic and riding bicycles with traffic. I learned that as a kid, but I always see the opposite in my local travels. Also, at 6:30AM, there's not much daylight at that time, so wear bright reflective clothing. Also consider at that time of the morning, car drivers have to deal with the sunrise and can be temporarily blinded as the sun comes over the horizon. Best wishes to Ms. Johnson for a full recovery.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 08/31/10 - 08:21 am
It may be legal for a bike to

It may be legal for a bike to take up a full lane, just like a motorcycle but I've yet to encounter a bicyclist that drove as fast as one. Why does it always seem that when you're trying to get around a bicyclist, it's always on a curve where you can't see around them? Do you have to be 16 to drive in a full lane or can anybody do it? I wouldn't let my kid decide to take a ride in a full lane or should I because motorists will know that he is legally permitted. I don't think so. I tell you what should be illegal for bicyclists, those spandex shorts.

disssman
disssman 08/31/10 - 08:26 am
Omallen. Have you ever heard

Omallen. Have you ever heard that there is a minimum speed in addition to a maximum speed? Sure bikes have as much right to a lane as a vehicle, as long as they are doing the speed posted.

fontana
fontana 08/31/10 - 08:42 am
If Runners and bicycles can't

If Runners and bicycles can't travel the roads at a minimum of 35 mph then small cars and motorcycles should be allowed on tracks, sidewalks and inside the malls. Every morning I come up on walkers and joggers 2 and 3 people wide taking up half the road, will never move into the wet grass on the side. Golf carts seem to have taken to the road in mass also causing a danger.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/31/10 - 09:11 am
A couple of years ago, a

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was killed while jogging in the early morning hours on a country road. The lady who hit him, never saw him; my friend who was hit, never heard her, as his favorite songs played from his ipod. A wonderful husband, father, and doctor died that day. The lady who hit him, well, she thinks about him and his family every day and night of her life.

Praying for a full recovery for Ms. Johnson, and lessons are learned to prevent other injuries and deaths.

grinder48
2019
grinder48 08/31/10 - 09:33 am
Wishin' Ms. Johnson a speedy

Wishin' Ms. Johnson a speedy recovery. I wanna' know why so many bicyclists have to wear such stupid looking outfits. Yea, yea, functional reasons, I'm sure. Funny how groups wanna look alike. Those outfits bicyclists wear are downright comical. I rode bikes at least a bazillion miles when coming up and never once had to don a clown suit.

merlin
merlin 08/31/10 - 09:47 am
How about get your facts

How about get your facts before you start saying what people should and shouldn't do. They were facing the right direction and they weren't out getting healthy, they were training for an upcoming race. People don't have hearts anymore.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/31/10 - 09:49 am
I used to run on the roadside

I used to run on the roadside when I first moved here but now wouldn't dare. I drive up to Savannah Rapids Pavilion or the bike/runners path along Evans to Locks Road. Right or wrong, don't be stupid and run where a car might hit you. Being dead but right is not the way to go.

john
john 08/31/10 - 10:09 am
but grinder, you see them

but grinder, you see them dont you? thereby not hitting them?

fish2
fish2 08/31/10 - 10:13 am
Merlin--most people training

Merlin--most people training for a race are improving their stamina thus is beneficial to your health. Even facing the right direction did not help her and nearly put her running mate in the hospital also. I have a heart and dont want to come across someone laying in the road seriously injured or worse.

MothersLove
MothersLove 08/31/10 - 10:18 am
First of all, let me say, I

First of all, let me say, I don't think running on the road in the dark is a smart idea in the first place, reflective material or not, your taking a chance. I am praying for Ms. Johnson but I also want to mention the driver. Let's remember this was an ACCIDENT! I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in his shoes. So, I will be praying for him also.

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 08/31/10 - 10:20 am
If a bicycle has as much

If a bicycle has as much right as a motorcycle, then why aren't bicycle owners not having to pay taxes to help maintain the roads?

Evans Ga 2010
Evans Ga 2010 08/31/10 - 10:48 am
I have to agree with most.

I have to agree with most. Why do this folks insist on running on the road when they know that the visablitliy, especially that time in the morning isn't very good to drivers.
I do wish Johnson a fast recovery, but please those of you out there take this as a warning.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/31/10 - 11:13 am
What gets me is how we have

What gets me is how we have these nice, wonderful sidewalks and I'll see a cyclists riding down the middle of Walton Way or whatever road right next to the sidewalk holding up traffic an insane amount of distance! It's ridiculous!

markremy
markremy 08/31/10 - 11:46 am
@nadps53jrt: Huh? Since when

@nadps53jrt: Huh? Since when do cyclists not pay taxes?

@the other anti-cyclist and anti-runner commenters: It's contempt and hostility like yours that makes the roads riskier than they have to be. For *everybody*, including you and your loved ones -- not just for those of us out for a bit of exercise.

Do some cyclists and runners behave recklessly on the roads? Yep. Do some motorists behave recklessly, too? Oh yes. Do most cyclists and runners obey the laws and use common courtesy and common sense? Of course they do, for their own survival if nothing else. (Do most drivers, as well? Yes!) Let go of the snide attitudes and the anger, guys. We'll all be better off for it.

Finally, I'll add my own wishes to Ms. Johnson for a full and speedy recovery.

markremy
markremy 08/31/10 - 11:20 am
@JusticeForEva: You want

@JusticeForEva: You want cyclists to ride on the sidewalk? Seriously?

corgimom
corgimom 08/31/10 - 11:24 am
It is just shocking to me

It is just shocking to me that a runner would not wear reflective clothing. Unfortunately, she will have to suffer the consequences from that terrible decision. This is just plain sad.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/31/10 - 11:25 am
When you're on a 10 speed

When you're on a 10 speed Schwinn and I'm in a car that can over 100 mph where would you rather be? Besides I respect bicyclists rights to be able to ride but riding in the middle of high traffic road and holding up a LONG line of traffic is more than annoyance. Why build the sidewalks and the trails if the cyclists are still going to be stupid enough to ride next to them in the middle of traffic with 2 and 3 and 4 ton vehicles???

markremy
markremy 08/31/10 - 11:47 am
Again with the hostility and

Again with the hostility and hyperbole. It's so discouraging.

Reading through some of these comments, you'd think that our nation's roads are just clogged, at a standstill, with millions of slowpoke cyclists wobbling along in "the middle of the road" (?!?), oblivious to the miles-long string of cars behind them. While millions of runners shuffle along, four abreast, also in "the middle of the road." Probably while giving drivers the finger. And the only thing sparing both groups certain death is the patience and selflessness of the poor, persecuted motorists, who must do everything in their power NOT to flatten them at every turn.

Please. Guys. Can we take a deep breath and inject a bit of sanity into this discussion?

The simple reality is this: We're lucky to have jillions of miles of nicely maintained streets and roads in this country. These roads are used, overwhelmingly, by motor vehicles, mostly without incident, though accidents do happen. These roads are ALSO used by many cyclists and runners, mostly without incident, though accidents do happen. Occasionally, a motorist may have to brake and slow down for a few moments in order to safely pass a cyclist or a runner, before continuing on his way.

Does this really merit the breathless attacks and anger on display in some of these comments?

"Share the road" might be a trite slogan. But it's apt.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 08/31/10 - 11:54 am
I see people running ON

I see people running ON Fury's Ferry road every day even though there is a sidewalk running along the road not 5 feet away from them. If I am behind a truck or SUV that blocks my view, I don't see them until I am right up on them. Another commenter mentioned the sun being in your eyes in the morning as well.

Just because you can see a car, doesn't mean the driver can see you.

billoftt
billoftt 08/31/10 - 11:56 am
And this is the very reason

And this is the very reason why I run around the cul-de-sacs in my subdivision instead of on high traffic roads in the dark with no reflective clothing.

A growing trend in Aiken that I have noticed lately is running on Whiskey Road during rush hour. Not on the sidewalk next to Whiskey Road, ON Whiskey Road.

Two days ago I noticed three teenage boys skateboarding down the wrong side of Whiskey Road as well.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/31/10 - 11:59 am
Well then why bother with

Well then why bother with installing sidewalks and special trails if cyclists and runners are not going to use them and instead insist on running or cycling down the middle of Furys Ferry?