SC agency finds 35 illegal workers at school sites

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 4:44 PM
Last updated 7:24 PM

COLUMBIA — Five companies have been cited for employing illegal immigrants at school construction sites in a South Carolina county.

The state agency overseeing South Carolina's new illegal immigration law reported Friday it has found 35 illegal workers so far at five construction sites in Pickens County. Officials say they expect to identify more as the investigation continues.

Jim Knight with the state Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation says all 35 were fired, and only one company has been fined. A concrete company was fined $850 after a second inspection found it still wasn't complying.

Under the law, fines are waived for first-time violators who correct the problem within three days.

The school district did not immediately answer a request for comment.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 08/28/10 - 12:04 am
A whole $850?

A whole $850?

OhWell
OhWell 08/28/10 - 09:43 am
Yeah $850, you can get a

Yeah $850, you can get a traffic ticket that is more than that, but I guess we have to allow for the money it is going to take getting them back where the belong

reader54
reader54 08/28/10 - 09:45 am
All of our manufacturing jobs

All of our manufacturing jobs have been steadily leaving the US over the last decade or two. It was done right under our noses while the politicians were touting the benefits. Now, after 30 yrs. of allowing illegal aliens to swarm our country, the salary scale in the service industry has been severely eroded. Retail jobs are vanishing due to reductions in merchandise and restaurant sales. Housing construction is at a standstill and will be for a decade. It will take at least that long to exhaust all of the current and future foreclosures. So, where are new jobs going to derive ? The Government will HAVE to supply jobs to prevent a revolution. However, that can't last forever! I hope that I am wrong but I believe that the Middle Class is in for a rude awakening over the next three yrs. "Social Correction"?

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/28/10 - 12:14 pm
"Our" manufacturing jobs? I

"Our" manufacturing jobs? I don't own my job, my employer does. He can give it to anyone he desires. I keep mine because I am productive, determined, and make him money. If he finds someone that will do better, he would hire them. I make sure I am the best so the thought doesn't cross his mind.

reader54
reader54 08/28/10 - 02:32 pm
Definition of OUR : of or

Definition of OUR
: of or relating to us or ourselves or ourself especially as possessors or possessor, agents or agent, or objects or object of an action
Taylor B: Your smugness is noted but unappreciated by the hundreds of thousands of your countrymen whom have seen their jobs exported and filled for $2 an hour. Although I am not one of the unfortunate, your insensitivity and lack of concern for your fellow countrymen and their families is telling. Regardless, I wish you the best.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/28/10 - 02:50 pm
Reader, I didn't mean to

Reader, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I don't think I'm being smug, either.

Our economy is moving to a service industry, and has been for thirty years. I'm stating the obvious. What we are experiencing is companies to offer cheap products AND pay employees out the wazoo. Add in a fight with the tax man, and you see what we have?

I worked for a textile mill in college that no longer exists because people want $15 jeans. The American consumer is tough to please, and to stay in business, labor costs must be reduced.

Abolishing the minimum wage, federal reserve, and shifting taxation to a consumption based system is the only way to save us, but those ideas get no one elected...

We have NEVER had a free market in this country, I think its about time we give it a try.

I hope we are still cool, reader... (Knuckle bump)

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/28/10 - 04:48 pm
Guess what guys? These folks

Guess what guys? These folks will actually work not like the rest of "us" (notice I put us in quotes meaning myself included) lazy Americans. All we want to do is draw a check!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/10 - 05:26 pm
reader is right....We have

reader is right....We have eroded our pay base by the cheap labor for the last 30 years. This won't change overnight either...I also see a wakeup call for the middle class in the next 2-3 years..We are still losing jobs in the middle class. We have already lost the low income jobs...So hold on to your pants cause the next years could be rough. imo

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/28/10 - 07:13 pm
I never said reader was

I never said reader was wrong, with the exception that we do not posess out jobs. My suggestion is finding employment that cannot be shipped out and electing people that aren't stuck on our failed economic thinking.

cristinadh
cristinadh 08/28/10 - 08:50 pm
there are companies here in

there are companies here in GA that hire illegals too.. how about them!!

reader54
reader54 08/29/10 - 12:55 pm
Taylor: Hey, we're good. I'm

Taylor: Hey, we're good. I'm just a little frustrated and edgy these days. You are correct in your analogy of the $15 jeans but Americans and others have to realize that there is a steep price to pay elsewhere for obtaining these "deals?".. Madison Avenue has done a great job of disillusioning us by "showing" how we should live and what will make us happy. I don't believe excess of material goods provide Inner Peace and happiness. Our #1 problem in the US, IMO, is that we consume and waste obscene amounts of goods and resources. As Deepak Chopra stated, Americans borrow money to buy things that they don't need in order to impress people that they don't like! We are about to learn that it's not sustainable and we can be even happier with less. However, this will be a painful lesson during its' transition. Good luck Taylor. PS: watch out for SeenitB4. She is my "cyber buddy" and although I haven't had the pleasure to meet her, I sure do respect and like her!
SeenitB4: I had to edit my quote and saw that you DO follow me! You are not only intelligent but loyal, as well. Keep my back, buddy! Thanks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/29/10 - 11:58 am
Hi Reader.....Don't make me

Hi Reader.....Don't make me like you even more.....
I'll have to say you have impeccable taste in your fellow posters. :o)

jbl19584
jbl19584 08/30/10 - 05:24 pm
My husband has been

My husband has been unemployed for over a year because of the these people taking jobs. So yeah they need to go.