News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

2nd suspect arrested following fatal break-in at judge's home

Suspect fled, companion killed Friday, police say

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 1:24 PM
Last updated 1:42 PM

The second suspect in Friday’s break-in of Superior Court Judge Carlisle Overstreet’s home has turned himself into police, Richmond County Sherriff Ronnie Strength said today.

William Omar Jacobs, 22  Richmond County jail photo
Richmond County jail photo
William Omar Jacobs, 22

Strength said William Omar Jacobs, 22, has been charged with one count of burglary. Authorities have also recovered the laptop computer stolen from Overstreet’s home, Strength said.

“We were picking up his associates, identifying who he ran with, picking up his girlfriend and of course, through the leads we had developed, hitting all the places,” Strength said.

“There was just too much pressure on him out there.”

Jacobs fled Overstreet’s home early Friday morning after the judge shot and killed John E. Howard Jr., 20, during the burglary.

Overstreet said he awoke to voices in his home, grabbed his gun and saw Howard coming down his staircase with a bandana on his face and socks on his hands, Strength said in a press conference Friday.

Overstreet shot Howard once in the chest, and he was pronounced dead at Medical College of Georgia.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/10 - 07:18 pm
Other than the case that

Other than the case that maybe a few young burglars may rethink their criminal activity, hopefully another good thing that will come out of this is, maybe this will be enough to change this 22 year old who was with him. I doubt it, but hopefully when he is released he will have decided to end his criminal ways and see even a simple burglary isn't worth it. He does still have a chance to change his life for the good provided in jail he doesnt fall in with more criminals who train him better. After all thats what mostly goes on in jail, more criminal activity, gangs, and plans for the same on the outside.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/21/10 - 07:24 pm
alycias, yeah right. a child,

alycias, yeah right. a child, huh. How was the judge supposed to factor that in, even if it mattered? With the intruder's head covered up and mittens on his hands, the judge is supposed to use his X-ray vision to gauge his age and adjust his decision whether to use lethal force or not. I don't THINK so! I wonder what YOU would have done if it was your home?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/10 - 07:32 pm
Most that have the Mindset of

Most that have the Mindset of Bleeding Hearts are trying to correct a wrong in there life's by blaming someone else for taken action that they failed to do. Very few of our children are born with a criminal mind. Criminals begin with early life environment, or soft parents who fail to taken action with the first indication of criminal behavior. My child is a good person when they go bad, but deep inside they realized when they get to the point of execution, life in prison or shot, they feel sorry knowing that child could have been saved trying to relieve the quilt they live with.

To pull a trigger to take a life is one hard thing to do, at home or at war, but your life and loveones come first. You can't nor can you worry about the mind of the other human.

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 08/21/10 - 07:44 pm
Nothing like committing a

Nothing like committing a felony to bring the races together??? LOL

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/21/10 - 07:45 pm
I say if a person is so

I say if a person is so strung out on drugs that they have to resort to burglarizing and theft (especially as a repeat offender), shoot them and put them out of their misery. If the 'system' cared, they would have had them committed to a drug rehab or counseling program instead of pushing them in and out of the system. They just add to the problem that way. Just like all the people arrested weeks ago on drug charges. What is the purpose if you arrest them and they are out in a day or two anyway? They should have to be committed to some type of preventative program at least or it was a waste of time for all involved.

dani
dani 08/21/10 - 08:04 pm
It has to be good thing that

It has to be good thing that this is made into a big deal. Hopefully, it will get the attention of others who might be thinking of a career in home invasions.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/21/10 - 08:04 pm
@alicias....aiming at his

@alicias....aiming at his upper legs could have still resulted in death for him. There are major blood vessels in the legs and he could have bled to death that way too. @pommom38, I believe every victim deserves a proper and thorough investigation. Some victims don't get that.

pommom38
pommom38 08/21/10 - 08:18 pm
You never spoke truer words

You never spoke truer words Patty. Too many victims never get that.
@Take and CG, I luv u guys.. lol
Really appreciate the info on the gun laws yesterday, will most definately be packing now:)
To Aly, I don't understand why you don't get our comments or understand? I personally am not thrilled that a young man's life was taken, but am thrilled that maybe, just maybe this will start deterring more break ins. Until we start taking back our homes and our communities from these offenders, we'll never feel safe! Have you ever been victimized in any way? I have, and let me tell you, if this had been me, my actions would be the same. I just wouldn't get all the media coverage because of it.

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 08:33 pm
Saudi justice NOW!!!

Saudi justice NOW!!!

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 08:34 pm
I am THRILLED THAT A NO GOOD

I am THRILLED THAT A NO GOOD PIECE OF SHIEET WAS TAKEN OFF THE STREET. Too bad the judge didn't see the other one and put him in a box too!

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 08:36 pm
It is time to take this

It is time to take this country back: One house, one street, one block, one town, one city, one state, the COUNTRY at a time.

grinder48
grinder48 08/21/10 - 08:51 pm
Above said the judge used a

Above said the judge used a .380; glad he got him. For those wondering what to buy, .45 ACP better if you want a handgun. Even better is a short barrel shotgun loaded with buckshot, like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 or #1 buckshot. This is critical - sleep with it in the bed with you, don't want the scumbags to be able to pick up your weapon while you're asleep, then have it to use against you. I'm sure these criminals don't read these AC posts much but, in case you do, be aware that some folks, like me, sleep lightly with weapons ready ...

chascush
chascush 08/21/10 - 09:50 pm
I only posted 96% on the

I only posted 96% on the shooting part of my class to get a CWP but I getting better.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:27 pm

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 10:25 pm
No, citizen you were told

No, citizen you were told wrong.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/21/10 - 10:30 pm
I see the simple minded ones

I see the simple minded ones found a way to bring race into this matter. I bet some of you were salivating when you realized that the second suspect was Black. Save your typical responses and address them to people who are baiting JUSTUS and the ones with their " bridging the races" comments.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/10 - 10:49 pm
I just bet your were

I just bet your were salivating when you seen someone open the door for you to make your usual racial comments. A couple of newbies make little jokes (funny ones not racist ones at that) and you are all over it. No mention of anything relevant to the story, just a chance to jump at accusing people of being racists. Is that chip getting heavy yet?

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/21/10 - 11:27 pm
alycias, for starters, 20 yoa

alycias, for starters, 20 yoa is NOT a child. He was a grown man, and knew better than to break into someone's home. He gambled and lost.

And what makes you think, that however justified, this won't have a profound effect on the Judge? I would imagine that even when you're 100% in the right, taking the life of another is not something that helps you sleep easier at night.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/22/10 - 06:04 am
I see you salivating when

I see you salivating when another chance come for you to defend racist comments. " A couple of newbies". Oh, I see they are excused because they are " newbies". Why don't we apply that to everything in life including crime. Hey you are a newbie at this robbery thing, you are excused. Hey you are a newbie at this rape thing you are excused. Hey newbie this your first murder? Well according to TAKE A STAND, you are excused. You are so transparent. What is relevant that has not been said Old decider of what is " that racist or not"? By the way,like a worn out body, that old standard response of " a chip on your shoulders" can be laid to rest.

Will
Will 08/22/10 - 10:24 am
To you people calling these

To you people calling these criminals "children" and eluding to "racial slurs" - You should be locked up with him! This is the most ridiculous attitute I've ever seen. I was just sitting and waiting for this crap to surface, but you know what...it's not gonna work this time. One's dead - the first of possibly many - and one's going to jail. You base everything on race, not us! We're quite happy the white guy is dead. People are tired of living in fear and are fighting back now. You can sit and whine over WHAT got punished or killed instead of WHO all you want, but like Bob Dylan sang: "Times They Are A Changin'...." Deal wid it!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/22/10 - 12:37 pm
They arent excused because

They arent excused because they are newbies, they have nothing to be excused for. They were good jokes, nothing racist or insulting about them. I thought salt and pepper gang, and nothing like a felony to bring the races together were very funny. One guy was white, why is it only racist to you? They are referred to as newbs because they may not know the sensitivity of the board, funny or not. Other than those couple of jokes, the only other racial comments were a couple of justus repliers. woo hoo. Isn't that what you said to save the typical comments for? They did exactly what you said, but you still complained. Had it been and asian a mexican a white and an indian and someone made the bringing the races comment together would you have even thought twice about it? NO!!!!! Had this been national news and the same jokes were made by chris rock would you be offended? NO!!! Your salivating comment just doesnt hold water when all the main usual race commenters are MIA,... so who salivating? Seems you only pop on the board when there is something racial you can jump on, never something about the article content itself, thats what I meant by relevant to the article, since you asked.

pommom38
pommom38 08/22/10 - 02:20 pm
*If you ignore them, they

*If you ignore them, they will go away*.. Oh well, it was worth a shot..

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 08/22/10 - 03:38 pm
Crime would decrease if we

Crime would decrease if we handed out heavier sentences. Did Omar run like a chicken when he saw what happened to John? People are tired of others stealing from them; I think you are going to see more robbers gunned down. I am all for defending my home. If you come in my house... expect the lead to fly and the coroner to take you home.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/23/10 - 08:10 pm
Just because you have the

Just because you have the time to sit on here hour after hour does not mean everyone else can. I choose which article(s) I wish to respond to but may read all of them. You, IMHO tend to respond in defense of these colorful comments. Just like you. I reserve the right to respond in kind.

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.