2nd suspect arrested following fatal break-in at judge's home

Suspect fled, companion killed Friday, police say

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 1:24 PM
Last updated 1:42 PM

The second suspect in Friday’s break-in of Superior Court Judge Carlisle Overstreet’s home has turned himself into police, Richmond County Sherriff Ronnie Strength said today.

William Omar Jacobs, 22  Richmond County jail photo
Richmond County jail photo
William Omar Jacobs, 22

Strength said William Omar Jacobs, 22, has been charged with one count of burglary. Authorities have also recovered the laptop computer stolen from Overstreet’s home, Strength said.

“We were picking up his associates, identifying who he ran with, picking up his girlfriend and of course, through the leads we had developed, hitting all the places,” Strength said.

“There was just too much pressure on him out there.”

Jacobs fled Overstreet’s home early Friday morning after the judge shot and killed John E. Howard Jr., 20, during the burglary.

Overstreet said he awoke to voices in his home, grabbed his gun and saw Howard coming down his staircase with a bandana on his face and socks on his hands, Strength said in a press conference Friday.

Overstreet shot Howard once in the chest, and he was pronounced dead at Medical College of Georgia.

lulu
lulu 08/21/10 - 05:11 pm
Charges Charge # Violation

Charges Charge # Violation code Offense Offense Date Disposed On Disposition Method Disposition Stage Arrest Date Felony/Misdemeanor
1 16-13-2(b) POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA (M) 2/6/2008 2/7/2008 NOLO PLEA CONVICTION P 2/6/2008 M

Sentencing Charge# Sentence Date Sentence Base Fine Total Due Years Months Days Hours
1 2/7/2008 CONFINEMENT 12
Terms and Conditions

Alias Name

Attorneys Name Represents

Proceedings/Events Date Type
2/7/2008 WARRANT ACCUSATION
2/27/2008 SENTENCE, ACCUSATION W/PLEA, ACK OF RIGHTS AND TICKET
3/14/2008 ORDER FOR REMOLDED SENTENCE
6/17/2008 MOTION TO AMEND PROBATED SENTENCE

alycias
alycias 08/21/10 - 05:11 pm
The other local article says

The other local article says the judge "confronted the men"....so he had a chance to aim elsewhere at that young man!! And he also had the chance to talk to them maybe or tell them to "get, or I will shoot" and then if he HAD to shoot- aim for another area that would not kill them. I guess cause it was a judge, he felt like their lives did not matter!...and he was so high up in the "authority" scale that he could do whatever he pleased and wasn't at all worried about another father/mother losing their CHILD!

lulu
lulu 08/21/10 - 05:12 pm
2010RCCR00646 JACOBS, WILLIAM

2010RCCR00646 JACOBS, WILLIAM OMAR MICHAEL N. ANNIS CL 5/11/2010

1 16-13-30(a) POSSESSION OF COCAINE 4/11/2010 7/1/2010 FIRST OFFENDER STATUS P 4/11/2010 F
2 16-5-23.1(f)(1) FAMILY VIOLENCE BATTERY (M) 4/11/2010 7/1/2010 NOLLE PROSEQUI P 4/11/2010 M

Terms and Conditions MONTHlY DRUG SCREENS FOR THE 1ST 2 YRS; COUNSELING & TREATMENT; PURSUE GED; COMPLETE ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASS
1 7/1/2010 PROBATION 3

Terms and Conditions
1 7/1/2010 FINE $1,000.00 $1,850.00

Terms and Conditions
1 7/1/2010 COMMUNITY SERVICE 40

Terms and Conditions $32 MONTHLY PROBATION FEE
1 7/1/2010 FEES

Alias Name

Attorneys Name Represents
BRUNK , DAVID R. D

Proceedings/Events Date Type
5/11/2010 INDICTMENT
5/14/2010 NOTICE OF DEFENDANTS ELECTION TO PROCEED & CONSOLIDATED MOTIONS AND DEMANDS FOR DISCOVERY, STATEMENTS, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS AND OTHER ENUMERATED MOTIONS
5/21/2010 STATES DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
7/1/2010 SENTENCE (FIRST OFFENDER); INDICTMENT; DEFENDANT'S CHANGE OF PLEA; ACKNOWLEDGMENT & WAIVER OF RIGHTS; ORDER

dwb619
dwb619 08/21/10 - 05:12 pm
alycias, if you break into my

alycias, if you break into my home during the hours of darkness, or day light for that matter, I will consider myself threatened. And I will shoot you, more than once, center mass, corpse don't talk. I think all that leg shooting is a thang in the hood,ain't it?

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 05:13 pm
aly, 20 yo child--give me a

aly, 20 yo child--give me a break--cry a bucket. The worthless waste f 02 is off the planet--good deal. I guess if you found him in your house with a mask and hand coveers, you would give him milk and cookies---GEEZ, PLEASE GET A LIFE AND GET REAL!

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/21/10 - 05:14 pm
It is just too bad that ol

It is just too bad that ol omar is sitting in a jail cell instead of lying on a slab in the morgue with a ticket on his big toe!

charliemanson
charliemanson 08/21/10 - 05:27 pm
Good job RCSD. ____________

Good job RCSD.
____________

chascush
chascush 08/21/10 - 05:23 pm
At least we are giving

At least we are giving Hussein a rest. But he is not he is still campaigning even on vacation. Hussein does not like the fact that companies donated to the repubs. Of course he don’t mention all the illegal off shore donations he received

chascush
chascush 08/21/10 - 05:31 pm
charliemanson, 'Interesting

charliemanson, 'Interesting the Chronicle made sure this perp's pic was displayed, prominently, on its website but not the other perp's pic.'
Man, you are on top of it. Old Justus missed it but not you. Pure racism, charlie boy you are on top of things. Of course if they had put the white guy’s picture in paper instead of the black it would have been racism because they don’t like to put black people’s picture in the paper. Keep up the good work charlie, pure racism.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/10 - 05:34 pm
About John Howard, Alycias

About John Howard, Alycias wrote, “. . . At least he would have still been punished for what he did, incarcerated; and maybe that would have started his repentance.”

Maybe not.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/10 - 05:40 pm
Charlie Manson

Charlie Manson wrote:

The “other” perp's pic was posted on the website yesterday. But, I suspect the pic has been removed to spare the family undue grief.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/10 - 05:57 pm
Speaking of John Howard,

Speaking of John Howard, Alycias wrote:

Excuse me, but I just do not think you should kill a 20 yr old "child" really...UNLESS your life is in danger. I don't care whose house it was....that was not much more than a child that judge shot....and almost all criminals can be rehabilitated. . . .

Okay, you think it is not justified to shoot a 20 yr old whom you encounter in your home on your staircase at 4 a.m. in the company of another home invader. Then tell me, Alycias, how old the home invader would have to be when such a shooting would be justified!?!? How would the judge have known how old the home invader was when he pulled the trigger? This particular 20 yr old was thinking like a criminal, not like a child, when he broke into this home with the intent of stealing.

Jake
Jake 08/21/10 - 05:51 pm
I think a lot of people are

I think a lot of people are missing the point that a judge is a high profile person and not just an "ordinary" citizen. He is the point man when sentences are handed out and therefore a target in all of his dealings. Put your name, face and address out there when dealing with criminals and see how well you hold up.

OhWell
OhWell 08/21/10 - 05:53 pm
Judge Overstreet did what he

Judge Overstreet did what he had to. As far as Alycias saying the gun could have been aimed at some other part of his body I know where I would aim if I caught you in the bed with my husband (yeah both of you would get it) but Judge Overstreet at that second did not know what was going on. He did not know if he was dealing with a armed robber, so he did what he had to and I say good for him.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/21/10 - 05:55 pm
pommom38 wrote: If tomorrow a

pommom38 wrote:

If tomorrow a regular homeowner did this same thing, you would read one article, hear one news telecast, and no more.

That is true, and that is a good thing.

laprince
laprince 08/21/10 - 06:06 pm
BEST COMMENTS IN THIS

BEST COMMENTS IN THIS ARCTICLE. Augusta is CRUEL AS HELL!!!.. Jtra1n... While, I am glad for Judge Overstreet that he was able to defend himself and home, and that ultimately justice will be carried out for the offenders it shows very poorly of our citizenry that some relish in the death of a young man. I'm sure little care will be taken as to why these two have resorted to lives of crime and what little our society has done to provide for youth so that they can be feel there is a place for them out side of criminal elements. Those who are celebrating this young man's death and directing racial slurs to the other are only serving to divide and disillusion. If you don't have anything nice to say, well, you know the rest...

ALYCIAS........Excuse me but I just do not think you should kill a 20 yr old "child" really...UNLESS your life is in danger. I don't care whose house it was....that was not much more than a childthat judge shot....and almost all criminals can be rehabilitated, and maybe come to Christ one day down the road. That child had a lot to learn, and I know if we could speak to him now, he would tell us he was gravely sorry and wanted more than anything to go home to his family. ...and would be good from now on. I would have aimed for the mans upper legs--enough to stop him in his tracks. At least he would have still been punished for what he did, incarcerated; and maybe that would have started his repentance.

laprince
laprince 08/21/10 - 06:10 pm
I THANK GOD THAT HE IS A GOD

I THANK GOD THAT HE IS A GOD OF MERCY AND YOU SENT JESUS TO DIE ON THE CROSS FOR OUR SINS. YOU DIDN'T LEAVE ME IN THE HANDS OF MEN ON THIS EARTH TO CRUCIFY ME LIKE THEY DID YOU!

Jake
Jake 08/21/10 - 06:15 pm
I don't know, laprince, in

I don't know, laprince, in the heat and adreneline of the moment rehab or repentance was not on the good judge's mind I'm sure. I doubt it would be on yours if you were in his shoes. Should he have tried the sleeper hold or pile driver instead?

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/21/10 - 06:16 pm
Mayor Deke's efforts to

Mayor Deke's efforts to "bridge Augusta's racial divide" continue to bear fruit. wheeeeee

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/21/10 - 06:16 pm
Or maybe the reason the area

Or maybe the reason the area law enforcement agencies don't expend a lot of energy on a lot of the burglaries as this one is because unless something like in the case of Judge Overstreet's case happens, there usually isn't very much to go on. A couple of people on here have been watching wayyyyyyyyy too much CSI.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/21/10 - 06:22 pm
".....and almost all

".....and almost all criminals can be rehabilitated" REALLY? REALLY? You are kidding right? The system has NEVER, I repeat, NEVER rehabilitated anyone. You can put all the programs in place you want but you will never rehabilitate a criminal. The only person that can rehabilitate is the person needing to be rehabbed. You make the programs available and they rehabilitate themselves through those programs if they so choose. And even at that, the percentage that do is small, not "almost all".

Hoser
Hoser 08/21/10 - 06:23 pm
Good riddance to that piece

Good riddance to that piece of trash!

bennyw84
bennyw84 08/21/10 - 06:23 pm
Personally, as the victim of

Personally, as the victim of two successful burglaries in the last 8 months I'm quite happy this 'child' was taken off the street. He lost his right to my sympathy the moment he broke into someones Home. I'm fairly new to the Augusta area, and like the town, minus the the burglaries/robberies. They have to be stopped somehow, a dirt nap works just fine. I've never seen home invasions like I have in Augusta, this place is ridiculous. I doubt very much that this kid would have ever been 'rehabilitated'. Maybe he shoulda thought about how much he'd want to be at home and be good before the good judge shot him. If he had he'd probably still be alive. If you ever decide you're going to break into my home while I'm here, I'm darn sure going to feel threatened and you'll end up in the morgue with .00 buckshot in your belly.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/10 - 06:25 pm
BLEEDING HEARTS.... BLEEDING

BLEEDING HEARTS.... BLEEDING HEARTS......

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/10 - 07:06 pm
alycias, I'm glad

alycias, I'm glad (sarcastically) to know if it was your son who’s house that was and he shot the guy in the leg and the guy then pulled his gun shot your son then killed your grand kids as your son lay there dying hearing his children be killed you will take comfort knowing his lasts few breaths were spent saying, I remembered what you said mom, I tried not to kill him, hope you are proud. Are you crazy, so now you expect innocent people in the sanctuary of their own home to know the intent of the person breaking in, they could have been cold blooded killers, and you also expect every citizen to be a perfect marksman? Are you serious? Would you really not rather your child protect his home and family at any cost than to wait to see if the guy just wants a tv or is a serial killer there to slaughter them? Really??? Especially being a judge who has put away some violent people with bleeding heart sentences that let them out when they shouldn’t be and p’d off at that? And what does age have to do with it? Would it have been any different had the judge seen behind the masked face he was 50? Do 20 year olds not kill? Bleeding hearts like you giving repeat offender criminals and even violent ones slaps on the wrist letting them roam our streets are the reasons why law abiding citizens have to protect themselves to the extent they do from the unacceptable numbers of known criminals walking the streets who should have never been let out. Blame yourself and your bleeding heart ilk!! Maybe if they criminals know the consequences for being criminals are so severe its not worth it, it would deter some. As it is now, there is no deterring criminals. It’s just a temporary inconvenience,. If it was really unbearable as I should be, there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many repeat offenders and maybe a lot less new ones too. Evidently his short stay wasn’t bad enough he didn’t want to go back, but I bet had he known he’d get the death penalty immediately he wouldn’t have been breaking into any more houses. Jail and prison should be a humiliating miserable hell, not something you get respect for out on the street. The rewards far outweigh the consequences of being a criminal to a person with little or no morals. Jails only keep good people honest, they do nothing for an evil immoral mind. Word gets around the consequences are more frequently becoming death by homeowner, they will get the picture and the break ins will slow. Since the justice system wont punish and deter, looks like citizens have to protect themselves. I hope to read a lot more of these headlines. Blame yourselves not innocent law abiding victims you bleeding hearts!!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/10 - 06:41 pm
All my sons had imbedded deep

All my sons had imbedded deep in their brain my law the day I released them into society at the age of 18 that if any one of them were to unlawfully kill, rob or rape, they would never have to worry about our judicial system......I brought them into this world and I sure as heck would take them out. Strong statement, right, but I slept at night knowing I never will never have to enforce my law.

These young men could have been saved prior to this point.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/21/10 - 06:47 pm
Darn TakeAstand, so well

Darn TakeAstand, so well written, I wish I could have posted those exact words before you did. Very Good.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/10 - 06:54 pm
laprince, basically the same

laprince, basically the same response to you. ( my above post) No one wants to see anyone killed, especially over a small crime, and we aren't celebrating so much his death as we are the fact the victim protected himself to the best of his ability in a split second decision under terrifying circumstances. We read too many articles where an innocent person is killed at the hand of an immoral waste sometimes for no reason at all or over as little as 20 bux. It's always a good day when the criminal loses and no innocent lives were lost. No one is psychic and knew this intruders intentions, and this young man didn't deserve to die for a simple burglary if thats all the intent they had, but though he didn't deserve it, as in he wouldnt get the death penalty in a court of law, he asked for it by invading the safe haven of someones home in the am with a mask and ill intent. You are saying you are glad not to be left to be crucified by the hands of innocent men who are protecting themselves from you, if you are a criminal, yet those very same criminals you feel sorry for will take your life in their hands and determine your demise if they so choose, and thats ok? What sense does that make really?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/10 - 07:04 pm
Thank you George. It amazes

Thank you George. It amazes me we even have to make these types of posts. It's unbelievable. Though to me it should be common sense, it seems the bleeding hearts have much difficulty finding that line when compassion has to be put on the back burner for the protection of innocent people.

smartie
smartie 08/21/10 - 07:13 pm
what, really, do you do with

what, really, do you do with a punk like this? yeah, you could lock him up for 10 years or so. then what? 32 year old, ex-con, released into society. what's he going to do? murder is almost a certainty. one year, then probation? we already know that doesn't work. truth is, he's probably already got a son, or two, that'll follow right in his footsteps, and blame it on society. so! what do you do? really! i think, for my involvement, i'll just go on down to the sporting goods store, buy yet another .45, head on out to the range, and be prepared, just like the good judge.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...