Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Judge shoots intruder who broke in through window

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength press conference about the shooting at Judge Overstreet's home, Friday, Aug. 20, 2010.

John E. Howard Jr. -- the man shot to death by Judge Carlisle Overstreet after breaking into his house Friday morning -- was on probation for three burglaries and a shoplifting offense, according to information from the district attorney's office obtained through an open-records request.

Back | Next
A Richmond County sheriff's deputy enters the gate at Judge Carlisle Overstreet's home on Cumming Road.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

The 20-year-old Blythe man, whose nickname was "Killa," according to the Richmond County jail's booking sheet, was arrested June 25, 2008, after investigators in Burke and Columbia counties connected him to a June 12, 2008, residential burglary on Maddox Road, and break-ins at Keysville Baptist Church and Blythe Baptist Church.

Most of the items stolen from the Maddox Road break-in -- which was discovered by the victim's mother, who is Judge Overstreet's secretary -- were recovered at pawnshops or at a home where Howard was staying.

Howard told investigators he had done the crimes alone, and charges against the second man were dismissed.

Augusta attorney Jacque Hawk, who represented Howard, said at the sentencing hearing that Howard had been in jail for 9 1/2 months and had not asked for bond because Howard and his family -- his mother and three brothers -- thought Howard needed to spend some time behind bars to think about what he had done and to get drugs out of his system.

Hawk said that Howard was abusing an over-the-counter cold medicine, Coricidin.

Howard was 2 years old when his father died while serving in the military in Korea, Hawk said.

According to police records, Howard had no criminal history before the 2008 break-ins. At that time, he was unemployed after dropping out of school in the 11th grade.

Judge Carl C. Brown Jr. accepted a plea negotiation worked out by the attorneys. He sentenced Howard on May 1, 2009, to serve 10 years' probation. Brown suspended a 1-year prison sentence on the condition that Howard complete a program with the Day Reporting Center.

On Friday night, police announced that they were searching for a second suspect believed to have been involved in the burglary about 4 a.m. at Overstreet's Cumming Road house.

William Omar Jacobs, 22, is being sought by authorities on a charge of burglary in connection with the break-in, according to Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Chris Langford.

At a news conference Friday morning, authorities said Howard and another man, who was later identified as Jacobs, entered the house after throwing a rock through a glass door, and went upstairs.

Overstreet heard voices, got his gun and saw Howard coming down the stairs with a bandana covering his face and socks on his hands. Overstreet fired, hitting Howard in the chest.

Howard was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities said no weapon was found on Howard.

"At this point, there is little doubt it was nothing but random," said Sheriff Ronnie Strength, adding, "Physically, the judge is fine but upset."

Strength said the way the men entered the home -- "making that much racket" -- makes police suspect they were not aware Overstreet was inside.

A laptop computer was missing.

According to records published in The Augusta Chronicle, Jacobs, of the 2000 block of Starnes Street, was indicted May 11 on charges of possession of cocaine and a misdemeanor count of family violence battery.

Strength said his office advocates that people be armed and follow the judge's example.

"We support that 100 percent," the sheriff said. "If somebody breaks into your home, we expect and hope that what Judge Overstreet did this morning would be done by any other citizen."

The sheriff said he has known Overstreet for about 45 years and called him a "good marksman."

Friday's break-in wasn't the first at the Overstreet home. On March 12, 2008, a man kicked in the door while Overstreet's wife, Shara, was there.

She told police she was taking a nap when she heard the doorbell ring several times. She ignored it, but then heard a crashing sound.

She went to investigate and saw a man standing in the foyer. The man ran.

The report makes no mention of anything being stolen, and police say they're not aware of anyone ever being arrested in that case.

Shara Overstreet died of cancer later in 2008.

Anyone with information on Jacobs is asked to call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

albertoli
albertoli 08/20/10 - 03:52 pm
good guy got the bad guy.

good guy got the bad guy. cool

methree
methree 08/20/10 - 04:12 pm
Judge Overstreet, don't feel

Judge Overstreet, don't feel to bad about what happened. You just saved the city a lot of time and money

dwb619
dwb619 08/20/10 - 04:26 pm
I will have to defend justus

I will have to defend justus original post, because 85% of the time, he would have been right in his assumption that the burglar was black. I tend to lean a little to the liberal side myself,but, come on across the river to the little blue collar area known as Belvedere, where everybody is armed ! I prefer 12 guage pump, they don"t miss, however, they make such a mess in the house!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/20/10 - 04:39 pm
SMOKIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!

SMOKIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 04:39 pm
Prayers to Judge Overstreet.

Prayers to Judge Overstreet. Sometimes the necessary isn't easy to handle, and I'm sure taking a life bears heavy on your soul. While I am prepared to do this same thing and train a few times a year with my firearm, I pray I never have to take a life. You did the right thing, sir.

Jogare
Jogare 08/20/10 - 04:49 pm
I read through a lot of posts

I read through a lot of posts where people say the intruder was armed...from what I read it said no weapon was found. Just wanted to clear that up. But armed or not, I would have done the same thing. I'm not going to wait long enough to see if the intruder has a gun and plans to use it on me! Your home is your sanctuary...and I would protect myself and my family come hell or high water!

Indigo
Indigo 08/20/10 - 05:16 pm
Go ahead.....Make my

Go ahead.....Make my day......judge C Overstreet

charliemanson
charliemanson 08/20/10 - 05:31 pm
Now, I see the pic

Now, I see the pic

Lawpig
Lawpig 08/20/10 - 05:26 pm
Typically there is no duty to

Typically there is no duty to retreat in one's own home before using lethal force. That is the majority rule and is the rule in SC and GA.

pommom38
pommom38 08/20/10 - 06:08 pm
I keep seeing that scananet

I keep seeing that scananet thing on here, I finally joined up. It's weird hearing something happening via cop's transmissions!
If it's particularly quiet, is that a good thing?? lol

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:16 pm

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:17 pm

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 08/20/10 - 07:13 pm
Sorry if its been posted

Sorry if its been posted already, BUT...

In Georgia there is no such thing as a concealed weapons permit, there is a Georgia Weapons Permit (formly called a Georgia Firearms Permit) - which grants you the right to carry concealed or openly outside of your home, car, or place of business.

dwb619
dwb619 08/20/10 - 07:47 pm
South Carolina law goes even

South Carolina law goes even further with the tenet to retreat. You do not have to retreat when you are in your automobilr, or at your place of employment.

sledgehammer
sledgehammer 08/20/10 - 08:42 pm
COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED TO A

COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED TO A BETTER JUDGE---MAYBE HE WILL GE A "CLUE" NOW AND LEARN HOW TO SENTENCE THESE HABITUALS!

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/20/10 - 09:10 pm
As long as there are lots of

As long as there are lots of people like Judge Overstreet, we will no longer have to be alarmed! I'm sure this was not an easy thing to do to say the least, but this this is what it is going to take to get control of our neighborhoods. Its a shame, but this is LIFE/DEATH.

chascush
chascush 08/20/10 - 09:21 pm
dwb619, ‘I will have to

dwb619, ‘I will have to defend justus original post, because 85% of the time, he would have been right in his assumption that the burglar was black.’
Why would you defend justus? He made an assumed that the burglar was black so there was some racial intend. He sees racism in anything involving a black person. justus believes it is the white mans fault that 85%, your number, of the time the burglar would have been black. I feel very sorry for him.

dwb619
dwb619 08/20/10 - 09:36 pm
Did I fail in my attempt at

Did I fail in my attempt at sarcasm?

larrym
larrym 08/20/10 - 09:39 pm
Nobody came blame the Judge

Nobody came blame the Judge for doing what he did and for those who do not think these punk kids were not armed, then oh well! Say they were not or were , oh well! Was the judge suppose to say ," Before I shoot you, do you have a weapon?" I hope that other punk kid is running scared and hopefully they catch him and lock him up for a long time. Maybe he gets away with it and then later tries this crap again and gets shot. Maybe he gets so scared, he overdoses or commits suicide....does anybody think the Richmond county police will not catch this other punk kid? They willl get him and then...oh well!!! I could care less if this was the Judge's home or my neighbors. When an idiot breaks in and you are at home........defend yourself ,period. The sheriff made it clear to me it was the right thing to do. So for all you burglars out there, be aware! Folks are not taking any crap from anybody. Got a BADbutt Pit -Shepard mix, video cam. and alarms. Forgot about the two 12 gauge shotguns under each side of the bed and the 9mm in the drawer next to bed.
MAN DID WHAT HE HAD TO DO.........

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/20/10 - 10:09 pm
The Chronicle always edits my

The Chronicle always edits my posts. But I'll say it again....I was burglarized twice by the same person, nothing was done about it and my neighbors witnessed the person leaving my house. The law works for certain socio-economic classes, but when you are just the average working citizen, RCSO doesn't care. I felt like I had been victimized by the criminal and by the investigators. My life and my children's lives could have been at stake but luckily I wasn't home. At least now other people can see how it feels to be a victim. Quit feeling sorry for criminals and feel sympathy for the victims. I hope I don't ever have to use a gun in the way Overstreet did, but until they clean up the streets of Augusta, what choice does a person have?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/20/10 - 10:18 pm
Patty-P, The Chronicle never

Patty-P, The Chronicle never edits any comment. We will remove comments, but we never edit comments.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 08/20/10 - 10:40 pm
Mongoose, who cares if the

Mongoose, who cares if the perp was armed or not? He was in another person's home ILLEGALLY and he got exactly what he deserved! Too bad the judge didn't cap the other loser at the same time!!!! EVERY home should be armed against these loser thugs.....And with the economy that Obama has created it will only get worse in the coming years.....Gun Control????? Judge Overstreet used PERFECT control of his firearm!!!!

GAterp
GAterp 08/20/10 - 11:11 pm
Judge Roy Bean of Augusta.

Judge Roy Bean of Augusta.

judgeandjury
judgeandjury 08/20/10 - 11:36 pm
Attended two social events

Attended two social events this evenings. Overstreet was toasted at both! Today, the good guys finished first.

ebs421
ebs421 08/20/10 - 11:59 pm
Only one thing wrong with

Only one thing wrong with this story.They both should have been shot.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/21/10 - 12:01 am
That's right. Lets blame the

That's right. Lets blame the President. I guess Bush was responsible for every crime committed while he was President. Man!

laprince
laprince 08/21/10 - 01:06 am
Augusta'S NEW SONG...PUT-EM

Augusta'S NEW SONG...PUT-EM IN THE GROUND, PUT THEM IN THE GROUND, HAT TURNED SIDEWAYS, GOLD TEETH IN MY MOUTH, PANTS HANGING DOWN...I NEED HELP..CAUSE I'M ADDICTED TO DRUGS, CAN'T HELP MY SELF, I'M LOSSST, PLEASE JESUS SAVE ME, BEFORE I GO DO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE BREAK IN A HOUSE AND GET SHOT DEAD!

HTN007
HTN007 08/21/10 - 03:35 am
My only question in all of

My only question in all of this concerns whether or not the Judge will decide to invest in an electronic home security system? After all, this is the second time his home was broken into and he surely can afford it, maybe time to call Brinks Home Security?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/21/10 - 03:39 am
If these criminals would get

If these criminals would get the punishments they deserve to begin with then maybe he would still be alive. 3 buglaries and shoplifting before age 21 and he is on probation - what a crock. This might be one of the best punishments rendered by this liberal judge.

thyroxin
thyroxin 08/21/10 - 04:00 am
Iam a liberal .and i would

Iam a liberal .and i would shoot an intruder white or black...come to my house and break in ....you see