Crash backs up traffic on Interstate 20 bridge

A North Augusta man driving too fast for wet road conditions overturned his Ford Explorer on the Interstate 20 bridge at the South Carolina line at 3:55 p.m. Sunday.

While authorities were able to reopen one lane of I-20 shortly after the wreck, traffic congestion was heavy for more than an hour, said Lance Cpl. Billy Elder of the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

A passenger was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital complaining of injuries, Elder said.

albertoli
albertoli 08/16/10 - 12:54 am
this person who caused this

this person who caused this because of his recklessness should be fined the expense of the police and wrecker workers who cleaned up his mess and the expense of the lost time and gasoline of those who were delayed. the former can be calculated and reimbursed, the latter suffered the loss and can't be reimbursed except through the payment to the local government in the form of a fine. $1,000 per hour would be appropriate and should be a benchmark. local citizens pay the price for indolence. it should be put on the cretins who cause the expenditure.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/16/10 - 04:13 am
Stupid driving is normal for

Stupid driving is normal for the CSRA, and stupid driving in the rain leads to wrecks. I'm always surprised when so many make it through exceptionally poor driving conditions alive.

disssman
disssman 08/16/10 - 04:43 am
Not surprising at all when

Not surprising at all when you consider that to get a license, a person must be able to drive around a parking lot.

champagne
champagne 08/16/10 - 05:49 am
This seems awful judgemental

This seems awful judgemental of some of you. It is pretty common in Georgia to be charged with driving to fast for road conditions whether you are speeding or not so we really do not know if this guy was just being stupid. I can attest to this fact because 4 years ago I was charged with driving to fast for conditions when my Jeep Liberty hydroplaned and ended up on a guard rail, they also tried to charge me with failure to maintain lanes which the judge dropped. However, witnesses stated I was driving 20-25 miles per hour in a 40 mph zone so we cannot always be sure the driver is actually at fault. This is the only ticket I have ever gotten.

curly123053
curly123053 08/16/10 - 06:26 am
If you drive according to the

If you drive according to the conditions of the road then you are less likely to wind up hydroplaning on wet roads. Some people simply do not slow down when conditions warrant it. I have seen it many many times while working accidents in EMS. I think the majority of my hydroplaning accidents were on I-20 where the majority of drivers will not slow down no matter what. On local streets like champagne was talking about you get ponding on the road from poor drainage and you have a perfect ingredient for hydroplaning. People in high profile vehicles such as SUV's think they are immune from having to slow down for conditions on the road and they seem to end up in more accidents in my experience in EMS.

fish2
fish2 08/16/10 - 07:12 am
I-20 has areas that hold

I-20 has areas that hold water with slow run off especially the east bound lane of I-20 bridge. I use that bridge almost on a daily basis and you must slow down or you take a big risk of hydroplaining.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/16/10 - 07:14 am
champagne, I hate to tell you

champagne, I hate to tell you this, but no car will hydroplan at 25 miles per hour.

curly123053
curly123053 08/16/10 - 07:17 am
Another bad place with poor

Another bad place with poor drainage along I-20 is between mile marker 11 and 18 eastbound. It only takes a little bit of rain to cause problems in that area. Water will pond on the Gordon Hwy bridges too, as I take that route daily goin g to work.

curly123053
curly123053 08/16/10 - 07:18 am
Ditto CobaltGeorge !

Ditto CobaltGeorge !

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/10 - 08:46 am
We've got all these roads

We've got all these roads where water ponds when we get a shower. Instead of fixing the road drainage, the city is spending money for new traffic lights downtown.

follower 08/16/10 - 12:19 pm
Cobalt and curly, a vehicle

Cobalt and curly, a vehicle with bald tires and poor alignment will hydroplane at speeds as low as 25mph. Many, many accidents are the result of poor vehicle maintenance including tires, shocks, alignment, and worn bushings. Add to poor maintenance, poor driving decisions, and accidents are inevitable.

champagne
champagne 08/16/10 - 04:08 pm
Cobalt, hate to tell you this

Cobalt, hate to tell you this but it happened to me so yes it can hydroplane at 25 miles per hour. Please show me some scientific research that shows that it is "impossible" to hydroplane at 25 mph. Follower, my car was only 1 year old when this happened so the tires weren't bald and definitely not poor maintenance. Now, it may have been just a freak accident but that is exactly what happened. The good thing was that it landed on top the guardrail and the only thing that needed replacing was the muffler. Cobalt I do not appreciate being called a liar as it did happen this way and I have a witness to verify and neither of us are liars.

curly123053
curly123053 08/16/10 - 06:59 pm
Follower you are right about

Follower you are right about bald tires causing hydroplaning at even low speeds. I was thinking of adding that in my post but I was rushing to leave for work. Champane, I won't deny your accident could have been somewhat of a freak accident. When a car is hydroplaning it has a tendency to actually pick up speed due to the fact the driver is no longer in control. A vehicle can wind up in an unusual place sometimes. Same thing with blowouts.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.