Hit-and-run driver suspect caught

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 2:30 PM
Last updated 6:01 PM

A suspect is now in custody after police said her vehicle hit a pedestrian downtown this afternoon, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Scott Gay.  She was identified as Nevaucheal Dunn, 20.

The pedestrian, a young woman, was crossing 15th Street near Carver Drive around 1:30 p.m. when the vehicle struck her.   She was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Gay said the pedestrian faces charges of darting into traffic while the driver faces charges of leaving the scene of an accident, disregarding a traffic signal and driving while unlicensed.

RunningMan
RunningMan 08/13/10 - 03:25 pm
Never fails...someone always

Never fails...someone always manages to post something negative about a individual or situation they are clueless about. It does not matter where the victim was going. If she had the right away, it is the driver's responsible to stop, or at least slow down. As far as we know, the driver may have been distracted. Either way, the driver is a fault for not stopping to render assistance, and leaving the scene of a accident. She is also lucky the individual was not seriously insured.

crackerjack
crackerjack 08/13/10 - 03:28 pm
The driver could have been

The driver could have been looking down text messaging, and didn't even know she hit anyone. But she still needs to be located. I have seen more people driving and text messaging since the new law went into effect.

OhWell
OhWell 08/13/10 - 03:44 pm
Yeah, AugustaVoter I resented

Yeah, AugustaVoter I resented your remarks, just 5 minutes ago at Central and Hickman Rd I had the right of way as a pedestrian and a car just ran the red light and almost took me and my dog out. Two other drivers spoke to me to let me know Richmond County had been informed and the tag number given. And yeah you know what I was going to the corner store.

3g
3g 08/13/10 - 03:50 pm
AugustaVoter - Agreed , that

AugustaVoter - Agreed , that particular area is RIDICULOUS for pedestrians blatantly jay-walking , surprised there are not TONS more people hit there . I drive that route often and folks coming from the projects to that corner store on foot , bicycle or whatever just assume drivers are looking out for them - not a good idea .
RunningMan / crackerjack - those are very speculative comments , the driver MAY have been distracted - we will never know .

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/13/10 - 03:54 pm
You okay, OhWell?

You okay, OhWell?

OhWell
OhWell 08/13/10 - 03:58 pm
I am fine but just another

I am fine but just another minute sooner and I would have been gone.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/13/10 - 05:00 pm
As hit and run is the

As hit and run is the conversation - does anyone have knowledge of what happened to the child that was hit and her dog killed on Clark Road? Has that driver ever been caught? He should have been, having such an unusual car - blue Thunderbird with white streak on the side.
It sure would be nice if the Augusta Chronicle had a 'follow up' page - many times it would really be good to know what the outcome was.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/13/10 - 05:29 pm
That's an awful stretch of

That's an awful stretch of road for having pedestrians jump out into traffic with no warning. It's worst at night because they are virtually invisible until you're on top of them.

Still, the driver had no business leaving the scene. Very big no-no. Even for a near-miss like "OhWell's" experience, you should stop and make sure they're ok, even if you didn't do anything wrong, but especially if you did. You at least owe an apology.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/13/10 - 05:56 pm
Sounds like a couple of

Sounds like a couple of people are a few sandwiches shy of a picnic.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/13/10 - 05:56 pm
I thought the Clark Road hit

I thought the Clark Road hit and run was a blue car with a wide racing stripe over the entire top of it, like the picture showed.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/13/10 - 05:57 pm
Glad you're okay, OhWell.

Glad you're okay, OhWell. We've had more hit and runs in this area lately than I remember in past years.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/13/10 - 07:10 pm
Falling - I may be wrong

Falling - I may be wrong about the correct description of the car. I suppose that nothing has been done to find that driver? Who would know?

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 08/13/10 - 07:50 pm
I was in no way condoning a

I was in no way condoning a hit and run. I was simply stating that the people who live nearby this intersection cross the road whenever they feel like it, with no regards to their own safety, traffic signals and a 3400 pound vehicle coming down the street at 35 mph (or more). Plus all of my comments today are getting removed because the truth hurts sometimes. So thank you AC and whoever keeps "reporting" my comments. They are not racial nor bigoted like some other posters put on here.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 08/13/10 - 07:51 pm
I personally have almost

I personally have almost plowed 10 people near there in the 5 or so years I have lived in Augusta. No way to stop in time just good reactions.

Tots
Tots 08/13/10 - 08:06 pm
She may have been scared to

She may have been scared to stop there.

Tots
Tots 08/13/10 - 08:09 pm
She was wrong about that,but

She was wrong about that,but dont forget about the last lady who stopped after hitting someone.She got the crap beat out of her.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/13/10 - 08:15 pm
"If she had the right away

"If she had the right away (sic), it is the driver's responsible to stop..." Yeah, that's it- and that's why "...the pedestrian faces charges of darting into traffic..." The pedestrian was cited because she had the right of way? Some comments are unfathomable.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/13/10 - 08:39 pm
You make an important point

You make an important point that I had not considered.

crackerjack
crackerjack 08/13/10 - 09:59 pm
3G I was being facetious.

3G I was being facetious. I'm just saying that with all the distractions like cell phones, mp3 players, makeup, text messaging, etc. it's no wonder people get hit by distracted drivers. I don't know how it is in Georgia, but in California the pedestrian always has the right-of-way. If they step off the curb, even jaywalking, you have to stop to let them cross or face a hefty fine. Of course if they were jaywalking they also get a hefty fine.

3g
3g 08/13/10 - 10:14 pm
Tots - GREAT POINT about the

Tots - GREAT POINT about the possibility of the driver getting attacked , I know I would not get out of my car in that 'hood without my 9mm
Crackerjack - understandable , but since you do not live here and know the roads , really you cannot comment on this .

RunningMan
RunningMan 08/13/10 - 10:42 pm
As the update to the article

As the update to the article states, both were wrong and was charged accordingly. Maybe next time both will think twice and make the right decision.

Outlet mall plans canceled

Ben Carter Enterprises has decided not to pursue a fashion outlet mall at the Village at Riverwatch development.