Man likely lost eye after attack

It was two hours before quitting time at Glass Service Center when Bernie Adams noticed the staggering man on the opposite side of Reynolds Street.

Adams thought the man had a bad sunburn at first, but as he crossed the street and approached the shop, Adams realized it was blood covering the man's face.

The man didn't say a word as Adams and a co-worker helped him take a seat outside the shop. They supplied him with some paper towels to press against the gash over his eye while someone called 911.

"It was really terrible," Adams said Wednesday afternoon, about an hour after the 3 p.m. attack.

Authorities identified the victim as 60-year-old David Lewis and said he had been stabbed multiple times by a fellow homeless man inside the abandoned Georgia Golf Hall of Fame's Botanical Gardens.

Sheriff's Sgt. Robbie Silas said Lewis had met his attacker under a bridge and the two planned to buy drugs together. The attacker stabbed Lewis along his arms, back and face when Lewis turned down his proposition to have sex, Silas said.

Lewis escaped from the gardens and left a long trail of blood spatters on the sidewalk that runs parallel to the gardens' curvy brick wall. He did not know his attacker's identity.

Silas said Lewis' wounds were not life-threatening, but that Lewis likely lost an eye in the attack.

Comments (21)

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/11/10 - 05:46 pm

He's just not that into

He's just not that into you...

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/11/10 - 05:53 pm

I think it was a marriage

I think it was a marriage proposal.

disssman
disssman 08/11/10 - 06:00 pm

Sounds like the old Petula

Sounds like the old Petula Clark song "downtown". HMMM I wonder how they planned to "find" drugs? Maybe after a few breakins?

Fiat_Lux

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/11/10 - 09:55 pm

Anytime, Brad

Anytime, Brad

KSL
KSL 08/11/10 - 11:24 pm

I have no patience for people

I have no patience for people with drug problems. NONE.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 08/11/10 - 11:37 pm

A gay, homeless drug

A gay, homeless drug addict????? Wonder if he was wearing an Obama shirt????? Now that you've told the world that homeless people hang out in the old Golf Hall Of Fame ACORN will be there getting them registered to vote.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 08/12/10 - 01:09 am

That's pretty interesting

That's pretty interesting since alcohol is a drug too.

treerock
treerock 08/12/10 - 06:19 am

and caffeine and aspirin and

and caffeine and aspirin and all of your poison from big pharma...

grrrrrrrrrrrr fed up
grrrrrrrrrrrr fed up 08/12/10 - 07:19 am

this is sad but yet some

this is sad but yet some people find it necessary to make jokes about it.
yes he was homeless and was going to buy drugs which I am against as well but he was stabbed and lost an eye .....................have a little compassion folks

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 08/12/10 - 07:39 am

This is a sad story. That's

This is a sad story. That's why its so hard to support homeless individuals because they only want drugs. Looks as if he was homeless he would take any money he had and try to buy a nice warm meal.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/12/10 - 08:12 am

You just knew some Clown

You just knew some Clown would bring the President into this.

dashiel
dashiel 08/12/10 - 08:37 am

KSL, it will take more than

KSL, it will take more than your patience to solve the problem of addiction. You appear to have a pulse so even you must be addicted to something. The pleasure you derive from passive aggression perhaps?

smartone
smartone 08/12/10 - 08:59 am

(To humbleopinion): What does

(To humbleopinion): What does Obama have to do with the incident? Grow up.

Vito45
Vito45 08/12/10 - 06:32 pm

Let me tell you what is REAL

Let me tell you what is REAL sad. I know this man, and he was a manager at Savannah River site 10 years ago. It was recognized by co-workers and eventually his superiors that he had an alcohol problem, and things went down hill from there. A good guy that threw his life away for reasons unknown. Really sad.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/12/10 - 08:29 pm

I am thankful that the men at

I am thankful that the men at Glass Service Center helped him.

momster59
momster59 08/12/10 - 09:28 pm

onlyin - "That's why its so

onlyin - "That's why its so hard to support homeless individuals because they only want drugs.

As someone who regularly helps the homeless, I will tell you that you are absolutely wrong. There are a great many reasons why people become homeless - loss of income, mental illness (depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder), fleeing an abusive spouse, mental disability. Addicts are just one of many categories. In this community, there is a homeless program that works only with families with children (yes, that's right, children). The adults are screened for addiction problems and are not addicts, but people who have fallen on hard times for one reason or another. Your lack of compassion overwhelms me.

breedao
breedao 08/16/10 - 11:24 am

I have known this man for

I have known this man for years. It is sad to see someone with so much promise fall so far. His circumstance reminds me to be grateful for what I have and to never forget that I could be where he is.
To all the rude comments - please remember that this man has feelings - even though he's homeless - he is a human being - just like you and me.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/16/10 - 11:31 am

Spot on, breedao! You have to

Spot on, breedao! You have to ask what would Jesus do, or say about this man? I know, but many do not! Vito knows as well!

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

A pedestrian was struck and killed Thursday night on Mike Padgett Highway. The victim is the fifth pedestrian to be hit - and third to die - on Richmond County roads since April 10.