Baby bitten by pit bull in critical condition

ELLENWOOD, Ga. — Authorities say an infant who was bitten by a pit bull remains in extreme critical condition after undergoing emergency surgery for her injuries.

The dog's owner, Bryant Sidney, was cited for prohibitive treatment of the dog and not having a rabies tag. Police say Sidney is the baby's great uncle.

Authorities say the dog unexpectedly entered the Ellenwood home on Friday and placed the infant's lower left side in his mouth. The dog took a large bite out of the girl's bottom and dragged her to the back yard before the child's mother managed to snatch the baby away.

Authorities say the girl is about 9 months old. Police are still investigating the incident.

Damon Cline
Damon Cline 08/07/10 - 08:27 pm
Nine times out of 10, you

Nine times out of 10, you show me a pit bull owner, and I'll show you a moron.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 08:34 pm
lol dcline, as I stated on

lol dcline, as I stated on the first article about this story, irresponsible people and pit owners, usually the 2 do go hand in hand.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 08:44 pm
People who raise Pits or any

People who raise Pits or any breed to fight or be mean are the morons. However, responsible pet owners like myself and my friends and many others are not morons. These dogs can be just as sweet and gentle as any lab. You people saying otherwise are just ignorant and would probably believe anything your TV told you to believe.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 08:51 pm
Actually I was trying to keep

Actually I was trying to keep it civil, however allowing "babies and small children" to be anywhere near a Pit Bull is certainly one of the most careless, foolish acts that I have heard in quite some time.. Somewhere common sense was excluded...

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 09:20 pm
Ken I've had my dog for well

Ken I've had my dog for well over ten years. He's never attacked or been aggressive towards anyone. Don't speak unless you know what you're speaking about.

mrsmikep
mrsmikep 08/07/10 - 09:33 pm
30+ comments arguing about

30+ comments arguing about the safety Pit bulls. Regardless of how you feel about the breed, How about focusing all the energy on prayers for this little 9 month old baby girl that is in Extreme Critical Condition....

smartypants01
smartypants01 08/07/10 - 10:25 pm
he most horrifying example of

he most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed.

Let's ban Pomeranians as well!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 10:39 pm
You dont think people have

You dont think people have prayed for this baby just because they are discussing pit bulls? All the prayers and energy in the world wont stop another child or innocent person from being mauled due to the actions of an irresponsible pit owner. Discussions and outrage from the community about ignorant pit owners who keep subjecting their small children and innocent people to a dangerous unpredictable animal may. At the very least it may get through to one person reading it who decides not to get one, be more responsible with theirs, or keep it away from children and possibly save one innocent person. If you cant pray for a child and discuss preventing the same thing from happening to another at the same time, doesn't mean others cant multitask.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 10:40 pm
Thank you smartypants! And

Thank you smartypants! And Mrs. Mikep you're right my thoughts are with the girl and her family. I'm just also very passionate about the breed and I don't believe outright in banning them. I apologize.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 10:49 pm
lol They all say I've had my

lol They all say I've had my pit for 10 years and never showed any aggression towards anyone, right after they have killed. That is the whole point!!!! They are unpredictable and known to turn on anyone for no reason at all, even their loving caring owners who treated them like their own children!! Hey its your child's life to risk, too bad they cant make the decision themselves, but that's the beauty of this great country, your right to how you want to live, until it affects innocent people, but also others rights to speak up if they think something is dangerous and that some people are to irresponsible to have said object. Innocent people shouldn't be victims of other peoples bad choices, and I hope so much now that a precedence has been set, they will start jailing these owners and taking their children away to get the message out to all the other owners, but doubt that will happen, there are too many bleeding hearts putting the rights of irresponsible criminal people ahead of the rights of innocent victims. I have no problem with responsible people owning pits, I just think if they slip in responsibility with it in the least bit, they should be prepared to face very stiff criminal consequences of that choice when their dog mauls or kills.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 10:52 pm
smartypants and how many

smartypants and how many times does that happen????? No one ever said other dogs dont bite or kill, but if someone is honestly so blind they cant see the large numbers of one versus the other, I don't think they are responsible enough to have a pit because they can't comprehend the dangers. Responsible pit owners know the dangers and take precautions, the rest we call defendants and killers.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 10:59 pm
And pits arent the only breed

And pits arent the only breed that falls into this dangerous category, theres rotts, chows, presa canarios. I myself wont have an ankle biter dog either, not only because I cant stand the yappy little things, but they frequently bite, they just dont bite and latch on with a death grip and take lead pipes or deadly force to release the grip on the throat or maul and kill a few humans a year. I can football kick one of those little dangerous things off my ankle, grown men sometimes cant fight off a pit or rott or something like that.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 10:58 pm
The fact is, responsible pet

Meanwhile,
Statistics show that the "family" pit bull is often time NOT man's best friend..

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 11:01 pm
In my opinion, the whole

In my opinion, the whole concept of a responsible pet owner is comprehending the dangers and restrictions one should consider when owning any dog. To flat out deny it period is so irresponsible its dangerous.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/08/10 - 02:34 am
ken8375309 "The fact is,

ken8375309 "The fact is, responsible pet owners do not own Pit Bulls.... There is a certain mentality....."

There's also a certain mentality required for stating your opinion as fact.
So....as you seem to be so enlightened, why don't you tell us how many pit bulls are currently estimated to be in the USA, and how many fatal bites from same are recorded in the last couple of years??
Try to use credible sources to back up your 'facts'.

the kid
the kid 08/08/10 - 04:14 am
can we also ban bama and

can we also ban bama and family. very sorry too hear about this kind of news when child is hurt.

disssman
disssman 08/08/10 - 05:56 am
Eva. Reference your

Eva. Reference your suggestion for baning guns. No we don't ban guns, but the law says if they aren't controlled properly you are liable for the consequences. Why not make dog owners get a license and insurance? If the breed is so wonderful, and not a menace to society, whay do we have the headlines we do. BTW I have never seen a headline such as "Pommeranian bites child on finger", but I have seen on many occasions " Pit Bull kills child". And for your info a 2X4 does hurt if you are hit with one.

jg41160
jg41160 08/08/10 - 07:02 am
TakeAstand - Animals are

TakeAstand - Animals are unpredictable. including humans.

workedforit
workedforit 08/08/10 - 07:39 am
Say what you want about the

Say what you want about the dogs not being a danger to anyone. I never let our children around one, not worth taking the chance. We also never let them around any other dog without an adult nearby when they were smaller until we knew what the child may to to provoke the dog or if the dog was unstable and would snap at the child. I still to this day will not allow a child around a pit bull, I too have heard the stories after the dog mutiliates a child that the dog was always gentle, never did anything like that before. I guy at work got one when is son was 2 years old, by the time the dog was 2 and the boy was 4 the dog that was around the child every day mutilated his arm to the point he is still having surgery to correct. Makes about as much sense to allow your kid to play with a grenade.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/08/10 - 09:16 am
SuzyQ, I posted a link to dog

SuzyQ,
I posted a link to dog bite statistics in an earlier post... There are many credible sources that document Pit Bull attacks.. Google is your friend..

As far as the "mentality" of Pit Bull owners, it is very clear that many Pit Bull owners are in complete denial about the dangers and unpredictability of the breed. One owner here even stated that she allows her family Pit Bull to interact with "babies and small children"..
I have witnessed first hand the destruction that this breed is capable of, when I saw one of these monsters literally tear another small dog to bits in seconds.. It should be a felony to own one of these dogs without a special license and a few million in liability insurance....

secretagentman
secretagentman 08/08/10 - 09:39 am
I find it amazing people

I find it amazing people defend the breed.. it is really really ignorant-- these dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to be able to use their jaws to kill- it is hardwired into their DNA.. yes with proper training they can often be made into fairly dependable gentle pets... until something triggers that primitive animal instinct- and you never know what that might be because no matter what THEY ARENT HUMAN ---and if it is the infant or child next door-- watch out.Anybody remember the elderly lady in the area who lost her arm to one a few years ago? What needs to happen is that the breed needs to be "started over" Many of the dogs need to be put down, humanely, or at the least forcibly neutered or spayed and then the gentlest of the gentlest ones picked to have litters. Then the gentlest of the gentlest of THOSE need to be bred and so forth. This has been done over the years with Dobermans for instance.I know a situation where a show dog Rottweiler( show dogs are the gentlest most trained animals.. they have to be to go into the ring, be handled by strangers--NOT NEUTERED or spayed) was being taken out of his crate and decided to bite the lips off the owner-ripped them right off her face... an owner who had done nothing but pamper, train and treat the dog kindly. If a large dog capable of violence decides to kill, there is nothing you can do about it. If a small dog bites( and there are some bad ones) it just cant do the same amount of damage. I would NEVER own a pitbull, a Rottweiler or any other breed capable of killing as easily as those types of dogs can.I dont care how many times these owners defend their dogs-- they are just feeling defensive and deep down they know that if their "gentle" pet ever decided to kill an infant, or attack the child next door..... there would be nothing they could do about it.The statistics dont lie and yes, humans are to blame for this situation...However, dont ever let your child around a pitbull or Rottweiler or any other dog capable of that kind of damage. Someone posted about CHows-- that is another breed to be wary of.Of course any of the fighting breeds like Presa Canario etc

fontana
fontana 08/08/10 - 10:01 am
You never know why or when a

You never know why or when a stupid dog will attack. Just like a domesticated monkey or any other animal.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/08/10 - 01:19 pm
My dog is controlled

My dog is controlled properly. Our yard is fenced in and he has a leash. If he's inside or around the kids myself or someone else is always with him. We never leave him alone with any kids. But that's not because of his breed we just never leave kids alone with ANY animal.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/08/10 - 11:07 pm
ken8375309 I'm perfectly

ken8375309 I'm perfectly capable of Googling, your source is certainly not as definitive as you make it seem, and I was basically asking if you had FACTS to back up your OPINION. Simply saying 'no' would have sufficed.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/08/10 - 11:08 pm
secretagentman, I can find no

secretagentman, I can find no source showing that this aggressiveness you speak of has been bred in them for hundreds of years. Anywhere.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/09/10 - 06:47 am
SuzyQ, My "source" lists the

SuzyQ,
My "source" lists the names of the victim(s), dates, place of attack, nature of attack, owners, as well as comprehensive compiled dog bit statistics in the US among various breeds.. How much more DEFINITIVE can you get? Do you want me to link you to every source on the web? I'm beating a dead horse here.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/10/10 - 11:44 pm
ken8375309, the site is

ken8375309, the site is clearly biased against pits. In all of the dog bite cases they cite, the ONLY breed name consistently used in the headline is pit bull. There are a few rottweiler mentions, a husky or two in others, but you have to search for the breed involved UNLESS it's a pit bull. However, based on the website facts, you must feel that rottweiler owners are in the same denial, right? Have the same mentality?

Don't be silly about linking me to sources, btw. Yours are hardly credible, and the average HS student is capable of providing better data. The site you source is not considered comprehensive, it's called propaganda.

I'm not contesting the validity of the articles, btw. What is most obvious is the slant the website intends. They even label some dogs as 'pit bull type' in an effort to lay further blame on the breed. They know all too well that most people will disregard the 'type' tacked on there.

It's NOT the dogs, it IS the owners.

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.