Baby bitten by pit bull in critical condition

ELLENWOOD, Ga. — Authorities say an infant who was bitten by a pit bull remains in extreme critical condition after undergoing emergency surgery for her injuries.

The dog's owner, Bryant Sidney, was cited for prohibitive treatment of the dog and not having a rabies tag. Police say Sidney is the baby's great uncle.

Authorities say the dog unexpectedly entered the Ellenwood home on Friday and placed the infant's lower left side in his mouth. The dog took a large bite out of the girl's bottom and dragged her to the back yard before the child's mother managed to snatch the baby away.

Authorities say the girl is about 9 months old. Police are still investigating the incident.

Comments (54)

Zoe
Zoe 08/07/10 - 11:08 am

There is NO place for

There is NO place for pitbulls...they need to be BANNED NOW!!

Don't give me this hogwash 'oh, but if you raise them to be gentle' BULL, it is in their NATURE to snap at any given moment....it is not their fault...

BAN PIT BULLS!

NoCatchyName
NoCatchyName 08/07/10 - 11:39 am

Mr. Sidney is the problem

Mr. Sidney is the problem here.

Let's ban a dog breed immediately after we ban humans. Humans are who are a lot more dangerous and destructive.

chascush
chascush 08/07/10 - 11:44 am

Zoe, you don’t know what you

Zoe, you don’t know what you are talking about. At one time I actually agreed you. I have a mostly American pit since he was puppy by way of my son. He is the most gentle dog you could have. Although he does not like cats.
But nobody should leave a baby around any dog. The dog probably thought the baby was a toy of some sort.

RAWR
RAWR 08/07/10 - 11:48 am

I wonder what prohibited

I wonder what prohibited treatment the animal was receiving?

The Madame
The Madame 08/07/10 - 12:23 pm

It will probably end up being

It will probably end up being prohibitively put to sleep, as is usually the case when these incidents happen.

As for banning pitbulls, that is the dumbest idea ever. Any breed of dog can bite or attack. In my experience, Chows are some of the most volitile dogs I have ever seen. There are plenty of sweet, freindly pitbulls around, but no one knows anything about them, because they don't make the news. Any dog can be vicious, and the owners are mostly at fault when a dog turns out bad. True some breeds are bred to be more agressive, but there was a reason for that trait. Pitbulls have been used for many years to work with dangerous livestock such as bulls and wild pigs. You would not be able to work cows or hunt boar with a labrador retreiver or a Dashchund, they were bred for other things. It all falls on the owner to research the breed they choose to own, and to provide training to make sure the dog is controlable.

aliciamarie88
aliciamarie88 08/07/10 - 12:36 pm

I work in a vet clinic and I

I work in a vet clinic and I get bit more by small dogs than any other dogs. Larger dogs are also easier to restrain than the smaller dogs. To think about it, I have NEVER been bit by a larger dog. This is a sad story though but there is no reason to start an "Anti Pit Bull Campaign." If you check the stories on this website anytime you see a story about a dog biting a child or any other person they never list the breed UNLESS it's a Pit Bull & that's a shame

lsmith
lsmith 08/07/10 - 12:37 pm

Some pit bulls are bred to be

Some pit bulls are bred to be mean. All are not, but most people who keep them choose the breed not for their gentle nature but their ferocity. Let's face it a pit bull is not the most desireable dog for someone wanting a pet for around the house or to be around kids. Why take a chance?

pommom38
pommom38 08/07/10 - 01:33 pm

I had a pit you could take a

I had a pit you could take a steak bone from w/o him biting you. Look at the line a certain pit comes from, look at was the dog properly trained, etc. What gets tiring is the people always blaming the breed. A lab, chow, (know that one from experience) and ESPECIALLY a small dog can attack. It is a dog's nature imo.
Delivery people are more terrified of my 10lb pom than our 75lb lab! It is a shame what happened to this child, and yes, the dog will more than likely be put down. Shame on the dog's owner for not having his dog restrained.

dani
dani 08/07/10 - 01:53 pm

Owners of a pit bull for a

Owners of a pit bull for a pet will always say they are gentle, sweet, the best pet you could have. That is until they attack someone, then it becomes, "not my dog, he wouldn't do that"
The dogs are dangerous. I'll bet the mother of the 9 mo old would have sworn to you that he loves the child and would never do harm.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 08/07/10 - 02:14 pm

Pit Bulls should be outlawed

Pit Bulls should be outlawed as personal pets. Perhaps leave them as guard dogs with a special license/certificate. They have no place in a home with children- PERIOD

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/07/10 - 04:19 pm

Isn't it just amazing that

Isn't it just amazing that with all the dog bites that happen only pit bull bites get in the papers.
While this is a horrible case and the owner is obviously at fault, if it were a doberman or german sheperd (previous "most evil" dogs) it wouldn't have rated a mention of the breed.
I hope the child has a full recovery, with no memories of the horror, and the owner is held responsible for the entire mishap and results thereof.
I also hope the reporters quit trying to influence the news and just stick to reporting it, though this type of reporting is typical of the AP.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 04:39 pm

I have a Pit and a cat. Both

I have a Pit and a cat. Both are inside together and both actually sleep next to each other sometimes! My Pit has been around my very young nieces and nephew and all he has ever done is licked them to death. It's all in how you raise a dog. A Lab is more likely to bite a human than a Pit and that is a fact. Look it up for yourself. Banning this breed or any breed wouldn't help. I think people who plan to buy this breed or any of the other "bully" breeds should be checked and deemed fit enough by the government to own one. If that were being done you wouldn't have stories like this. If people breed dogs to fight then they will be aggressive and fight. If you have a dog as a member of your family and treat it with respect you will get the same back. The closed-mindedness of some of you astounds me. Anytime something bad happens you want to just outright ban it! I mean should we ban swimming in lakes, rivers, or oceans just because it's possible that someone might drown?

nycweeks
nycweeks 08/07/10 - 05:15 pm

I used to think the same way.

I used to think the same way. It appeared that pit bulls were simply too dangerous and stupid to safely co-exist with humans. I still do not particularly like pit bulls, but that does not change the fact that they truly are gentle, intelligent animals. I have been around several of them and they are, just as people say, very meek, gentle, sweet dogs. It takes a lot of work to make them mean. It's not their fault they are strong and scary looking. You don't have to raise them to be gentle..it's in their nature to be gentle and unless forced against their will to become viscious, they will remain gentle.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 06:05 pm

Some of you are ignoring

Some of you are ignoring FACTS. Pitbulls have killed or severely injured many more people than any other breed. This is an indisputable fact...

Once owners are seriously held accountable for these attacks, maybe they will reconsider getting such an unpredictable breed of animal capable of such carnage... There are so many good breeds, for the life of me, I cannot understand how an intelligent individual of sound judgment would select such a breed...

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 06:20 pm

No Ken YOU are ignoring the

No Ken YOU are ignoring the facts. A small dog or a Lab is more likely to bite someone then a Pit Bull.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 06:28 pm

I'm not talking about little

I'm not talking about little nips and bites from Poodle or Labs..

disssman
disssman 08/07/10 - 06:46 pm

About 15 years ago Pit bulls

About 15 years ago Pit bulls and Rotweilers were made illegal in England and for good reasons. Since that time there has not been a citizen of England mauled bty either breed. What does that say for our protection of citizens in this country. BTW in Germany you can have any breed you want, as long as you have a million euros in liability insurance to cover each one, and if your dog does harm to anyone, you are charged as if you had a deadly weapon.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 07:08 pm

Okay everytime someone gets

Okay everytime someone gets hurt lets just ban things. People drown in the lake we'll ban everyone from swimming. People die in an auto accident we'll just ban automobiles. People die of heart attacks from eating fatty foods so lets ban fast food. You people that cry for everything to be banned just because someone got hurt disgust me. Just about anything could be used or could aid in someone'e demise. Banning all of the bad stuff isn't going to stop death from occurring. We can't constantly legislate stupidity.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 07:11 pm

Pit owners are always

Pit owners are always ignoring the facts. Other dogs may bite, even more frequently, and that is a fact. The thing is with pits they maul. It's in their nature to lock their jaws on and not let go, to violently shake, rip shred.....in other words maul to the death, or if you are lucky only physically disable you for the rest of your life. Every single pit owner says the same thing you have said, its all in how they are raised, but after their child or anyone else is killed or mauled whats their explanation then? Freak accident? Not such a freak accident for it to keep happening with this breed more than any other, and that's a fact. No one says one can't have a pit, but around kids, in my opinion, better to be safe than sorry. And if you have one just be responsible with it. Crazy how some of the most irresponsible people in general are pit owners who dont keep such dangerous dogs contained, then act shocked when something happens. I agree with disssman, anyone mauled or killed by a pit who was unrestrained, should be charged criminally. A precedence has been set. Pit owners better hope if their pit mauls someone, there is no prior act of aggression by their dog or they could be looking at major jail time and rightfully so!

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 07:14 pm

Okay well guns can do the

Okay well guns can do the same amount of damage so lets ban those too. I mean if you want to ban things that could possibly do serious damage to a human then guns should go too....

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 07:18 pm

Not everything needs to be

Not everything needs to be banned, Its not the items that should be banned, its irresponsible people! I don't think pits should be banned, I think we need to start prosecuting the irresponsible idiots who dont restrain such a dangerous animal they choose to have and subject everyone else to the dangers of it. It's not the animals fault people get hurt by pits, its the crazy owners who are so blind as to think their pit would never do that and don't keep them restrained and dont comprehend the fact that pits do way more damage than most dogs when they maul, not bite, they MAUL. A pit is no different than a gun, they both are deadly, but neither can kill period unless there is an irresponsible person in charge of it.

momster59
momster59 08/07/10 - 07:25 pm

Having lived in Germany, I

Having lived in Germany, I can tell you that there is a reason why that country has very few attacks by dogs. Dog owners are held criminally and fiscally responsible for the behavior of their animals. Dog owners must have insurance for their animals in case of attacks. Dog owners must by law show that their dogs have basic training and socialization. I had a dog while living in Germany and it was nice to be able to go safely everywhere with the animal. The only problems I ever encountered were American dog owners who lived on US concerns who did not fall under this law.

Justice - guns idea is nice, but has been shot down as against the Constitution. I would just like if dog ownership came with legally upheld responsibilities. I own three rescued dogs, all of whom are trained and socialized.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 07:27 pm

I know was saying that

I know was saying that sarcastically. I own a Pit and he's been around countless babies and young children and even my own nieces and nephew. He's never been aggressive with them and in fact all he's ever done is lick them to death. He's a baby. Most nights he sleeps right next to my CAT! It's all in how you raise them. Yes I think owners should be held more accountable especially if they're going to own dogs like this but outright banning them is wrong.

momster59
momster59 08/07/10 - 07:45 pm

Justice - on the guns, so was

Justice - on the guns, so was I :-)

I have a hundred lb dog who rescued a kitten three years ago and nurtures that cat like it's his baby. In their defense, people in this area are afraid because so many irresponsible pet owners create dangerous pets, and then when something terrible happens, the dog is euthanized and the owner faces little in the way of consequence.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 07:48 pm

I just can't imagine anyone

I just can't imagine anyone allowing such a breed to be anywhere near small children...... There is just way too much evidence to support the fact that this breed can be completely unpredictable., and it the same story over and over from the owners after an attack, i.e. the dog was a "gentle" family pet...

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/07/10 - 07:56 pm

Well imagine it Kevin because

Well imagine it Kevin because my dog is around children all the time and he's never hurt anyone.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/07/10 - 07:56 pm

Yet......

Yet......

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/07/10 - 08:19 pm

I agree Ken, every single

I agree Ken, every single family member or owner whos been mauled by their own pit says the same things, he was so gentle around my babies. When their dogs attack other dogs or people they show pictures of their infants with the pits, and its always the victims fault. It's always the victims fault or "freak accident". Freak accidents dont happen that frequently. It will be a cold day you know where before I allow my children around a proven deadly animal that is so unpredictable. Not all kids exposed to lead paint got cancer, but its a known fact it can seriously injure or kill kids if ingested, I wouldnt say hey, the paint was free, or already here, or I cant get that color or that toy in any other paint, never been a problem for some children through the years, I'll just try to keep my kids from eating the paint if it flakes, chewing on lead painted toys, or anything else... I choose a different paint or a different toy. Some things just arent worth risking your kids life over when theres such hard facts things are deadly and there are so many other options. To each his own I guess, I just pray its not at the expense of a child or any other innocent person. I just will not allow my small children around a pit, ever and I'm super cautious with them around any dog, even my own. Call me overprotective, but I don't care, my kid won't be the one making the paper in a story like this, unless some irresponsible pit owner allowed one to escape in the neighborhood or elsewhere and the situation was no where within my control because it was a surprise attack!! And I can tell you I'd make sure that person paid dearly in more ways than one.

dani
dani 08/07/10 - 08:18 pm

I hope that pit bull owners

I hope that pit bull owners never have to witness their child attacked by one of those dogs. I did. I saw the nice gentle (I am serious) dog chase after my 3 year old and thought it was play, by the time I realized what was happening, he had her down and was chewing on her shoulder. I got to them in time that no serious injury occurred, thank God. The dog attacked because she had picked up one of his toys.

sassygirl352
sassygirl352 08/07/10 - 09:19 pm

well it just goes to show you

well it just goes to show you that you dont need these dangerous animals in the house, or in the yard. this is so sad. that poor baby, if she lives she will be scared for life.