Home invader killed near Atlanta

MCDONOUGH, Ga. — Police say a Henry County man shot two people trying to break into his home, killing a man and injuring a woman.

Police said Tuesday they found the body of 27-year-old John David Griffen of Clanton, Ala., in the front yard of a home on Monday.

Officers say 40-year-old Monica Johnson Allen called 911 from her Covington home later that day and said she had been shot. They say Newton County police transported her to Atlanta Medical Center where she was treated, and she was later charged with robbery.

Henry County police say they received an emergency call on Monday from a man who told police he heard banging on his front door and wound up firing one shot. He said the man fell to the ground.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/04/10 - 07:41 am
That was one good shot. Two

That was one good shot. Two birds with one stone.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 08/04/10 - 07:52 am
nice shot....that one less

nice shot....that one less piece of crap we have to feed, clothes and give a place to sleep for the next few years...a pauper's funeral is only a one time expense to the taxpayer.....

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/04/10 - 08:18 am
Too bad he didn't fire two

Too bad he didn't fire two shots and drop Monica too. I'm all for equal opportunity when it comes to killing burglars, thugs, and thieves.

jkhndz79
jkhndz79 08/04/10 - 09:45 am

Chillen
Chillen 08/04/10 - 10:02 am
I just love a story with a

I just love a story with a good ending!

flipa
flipa 08/04/10 - 10:36 am
Bravo! 2 birds 1 shot

Bravo! 2 birds 1 shot

montega12
montega12 08/04/10 - 10:38 am
woo hoo that takes care of

woo hoo that takes care of one home invader permanently

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/04/10 - 11:37 am
Would all of you protect your

Would all of you protect your home and property in the same manner? Are you prepared to take a life? It's a hell of a thing to kill someone, but my point is, are you armed, and trained? When was the last time any of you went to a range and praticed? Shooting a firearm is a lot like flying. You have to stay current to be proficient. At the very least, get licensed, and practice shooting and hitting your target. Stay safe!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/04/10 - 12:09 pm
The rest of the story from

The rest of the story from the AJC:

Just before noon Monday, Henry County police responded to an emergency call from a man who told police he had shot a home invasion suspect.

The victim told police he heard loud banging on his front door. The victim told police he grabbed his shotgun, and, as he approached the door, a man and woman came barging through. The victim said he fired one shot at the man and woman as they ran toward their car. The man fell to the ground, and the female fled the scene in a vehicle.

Police said they found a crow bar dropped by one of the suspects at the front door.

I'm glad he waited until they actually broke in. Otherwise he might be on the hook for shooting someone in the back who knocked on his door "by mistake".

Batman
Batman 08/04/10 - 01:02 pm
Thanks Fiat. Too bad we have

Thanks Fiat. Too bad we have to go to the AJC to gets the... 'rest of the story'.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 08/04/10 - 02:40 pm
I love how my house is setup,

I love how my house is setup, its a lonnnnnng hallway from the backrooms to the front door. Basically an alley way of critical defense death for anyone who busts in that way. And no house directly across the street so no worries of stray shots.

paulsmom
paulsmom 08/04/10 - 02:57 pm
Hmm. My gut tells me there

Hmm. My gut tells me there might be (not is) more to this story than all we are hearing. My gut feel is not so strong that I would be in an "I told you so" mood if this did turn out to be more than what we are hearing.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 08/04/10 - 03:34 pm
Darwinsts everywhere

Darwinsts everywhere appreciate this man and his shotgun.

Arrest in fatal Sunday shooting

Walter L. Johnson, 60, was booked into the Richmond County jail Tuesday on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.