15-year-old charged with molestation

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:55 AM
Last updated 5:51 PM

A 15-year-old is being charged as an adult with aggravated child molestation after he sexually assaulted a 6-year-old girl.

Ricarlos Dixon, of the 3100 block of Lake Forest Drive, was babysitting the victim at the time of the incident  Thursday, according to Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew. The girl told her mother about the incident and the mother alerted deputies.

Aggravated child molestation falls under the so-called "seven deadly sins" law, which means juveniles from 13 to 17 can be tried as adults if charged. The law, enacted in 1994, also applies to those accused of committing murder, rape, armed robbery using a firearm, aggravated sodomy, aggravated sexual battery, voluntary manslaughter.

Cassandrablake
Cassandrablake 07/30/10 - 11:34 am
Is child molestation a new

Is child molestation a new epidemic, or are we just hearing about it more? It just seems to be everywhere.

sliique
sliique 07/30/10 - 12:07 pm
Just hearing about it

Just hearing about it more....Back in the 50'S, it was "swept under the rug," never to be talked about in all small communities in this Great Land!

OhWell
OhWell 07/30/10 - 12:48 pm
What is inappropriate?

What is inappropriate?

KingJames
KingJames 07/30/10 - 01:22 pm
OhWell, you say that as if a

OhWell, you say that as if a 16 year old female isn't capable of molesting children! That's not true.

OhWell
OhWell 07/30/10 - 01:29 pm
No a 16 year old girl is

No a 16 year old girl is certainly capable of child molestation and molestation can happen between both 2 males or 2 females, I just would never leave a young female with a male babysitter that is 15 years old.

I think as parents we have to really screen who we leave our children with and where we allow them to go alone.

KingJames
KingJames 07/30/10 - 01:41 pm
OhWell, I agree with that,

OhWell, I agree with that, but most people don't just leave their kids with people they don't know. This mom probably knew the kid and his family. Molestation can happen anywhere, even if the people we leave our kids with are screened and trusted.

jiclemens
jiclemens 07/30/10 - 03:28 pm
First a 15 year old boy is

First a 15 year old boy is "molested" by a 19 year old woman and the 15 year old is a refered to as a child and a "victim." Now a 15 year old boy is the molestor of a 6 year old child and faces having his life ruined. What gives???? If the 15 year old is a "child" then he should not be tried as an adult. Otherwise, the 15 y/o who had sex with the 19 y/o knew EXACTLY what he was doing and should not be viewed as a victim of anything.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/30/10 - 04:05 pm
jiclemens any 15 year old who

jiclemens any 15 year old who would touch an innocent 6 year old in an obscene way.. is a monster and deserves to burn in hell..(and he will) regardless of the outcome of the trial.

KingJames
KingJames 07/30/10 - 04:10 pm
Jiclemens, I don't think you

Jiclemens, I don't think you can say it's about knowing what's going on, but it's more about one person taking advantage of and victimizing another. The 6 year old girl didn't want to be molested by this 15 year old, just as a rape victim of any age doesn't want to be raped by a rapist of any age. Your problem may be with charging this particular 15 year old as an adult. Well, most kids can generally make a distinction between right and wrong well before the age of 15, and they certainly know when something is terribly wrong and unnatural. I think this kid knew what he was doing was wrong. An attorney will have to prove otherwise in a court of law. Now, you may be correct about the 15 year old and the 19 year old woman. I don't know all the specifics behind that case, but I do know a 15 y/o boy might have been happy to have sex with a 19 year old woman, and in that case he could have known what he was doing. However, the law is the law. Regardless of his possible willingness to participate, she should have known better than have sex with a boy.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 07/30/10 - 04:23 pm
We are hearing it more,

We are hearing it more, because parents are so desperate for someone to watch their children, they will just about let anyone babysit for them. I can't believe anyone would leave Boys that age babysit, PERIOD! It is more important that the parents go out or have a second job, than be concerned with who will watch their children.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 07/30/10 - 04:31 pm
I think you covered part of

I think you covered part of it , RCV, but I think a lack of parental responsibility cause by ignorance and a lack of life experience also contributes. A 20 year old parent isn't smart enough to take care of him/her self, let alone judge the competency of a baby sitter. A lack of family involvement combined with youth causes "too young", unprepared people to be chosen to babysit. There's plenty of ignorance and blame to go around in this case.
The young molester will continue to molest as long as he's free to.

KingJames
KingJames 07/30/10 - 04:36 pm
RCV, I can see bashing a

RCV, I can see bashing a parent who left their child to go out and party, but if a parent left their child because they needed to work, then that would be somewhat understandable. I have no problem with someone who needs to work going out and doing so. However, I wouldn't leave any child with a teenage boy because I just don't think they are as responsible as girls. Both teenage boys and teenage girls can be unscrupulous, though. Ultimately, all parents take a chance when they leave their kids with someone else, regardless of their age and relationship to the mother and child.

jiclemens
jiclemens 07/30/10 - 05:29 pm
king james: "Well, most kids

king james: "Well, most kids can generally make a distinction between right and wrong well before the age of 15, and they certainly know when something is terribly wrong and unnatural"

Exactly. Reread my post. My complaint is our definition of whether a 15 year old is an adult or a child, and the law (well the charges at least) are not being applied fairly in the two recent cases.

corgimom
corgimom 07/30/10 - 08:13 pm
jiclemens- here's what the

jiclemens- here's what the law says.

Anyone who has sexual contact with anyone under the age of 12, but they themselves are over 12, is guilty of a crime.

Make sense now? You are talking about two totally different laws.

And for all of you who think that small children should be kept ignorant of sex- this is EXACTLY why they should not be kept ignorant.

Child molestation happens a LOT, far more than people want to believe, and it's usually with a family member or someone that the parents trust.

jack2006
jack2006 07/30/10 - 09:25 pm
When you place the care of a

When you place the care of a child in the care of another child and expect them to conduct them self as an adult, you are asking for something to go wrong. The possibilities are endless and sometimes deadly. If you want an adult to make decisions for the care of your children, place an adult in charge in your absence. Stop placing kids in charge of kids and expecting everything would be fine. When something goes wrong, we jump to charge them as an adult. Where was the adult in the first place? Stop making excuses for either individual because any six year old needs an adult supervision just as teenagers and young adults. Stop thinking and making excuses for teenagers and young adults knowing what’s right and what's wrong. If they did, then we wouldn’t have these types of issue within their age groups. Stop allowing your kids to raise themselves or others.

Harrisburg Homeowner
Harrisburg Homeowner 07/30/10 - 09:42 pm
Corgimom, You are dead on. I

Corgimom, You are dead on. I know personally of a 12 yo female who was molested by her 60 yo grandfather. He told her that if she told anyone, he would say she was lying. He also told her that adults would believe him instead of her. She resolved not to say anything until her grandmother died because she loved her grandmother and knew that saying anything would take her away from her. She was her anchor then.

methree
methree 07/30/10 - 10:55 pm
wait a minute! any 15 or 16

wait a minute! any 15 or 16 y/o, that has been raised right, should be perfectly capable of babysitting!

jiclemens
jiclemens 07/31/10 - 08:22 am
Corgi, "If someone is older

Corgi, "If someone is older than the age of consent but still a minor, and they have sex with an adult more than 2 years older than themselves, that is a crime. "

Corgi, what is the age of consent here? I'm totally with you on molestation. The problem is the 15 y/o seems a bit of a tween in terms of application of the law (or laws). I say the law used against the 15 and 19 year old is rediculous. Two teenagers having sex is stupid, but it is also life and the parents' fault. I don't agree the "law" should be involved in that case.

disssman
disssman 07/31/10 - 09:20 am
I know lots of 15 year old

I know lots of 15 year old boys who are excellent babysitters. Why wouldn't they be just as good as girls? I think that a mother who leaves their kids with a sitter and dosen't call in periodically to check on them is playing a dicey game, regardless if the 15 year old is a boy or a girl.

belle
belle 07/31/10 - 09:31 am
Wow, interesting posts....The

Wow, interesting posts....The reason we are hearing about it more is the internet, tv, and because Oprah and Phil told us it was ok to tell. In my lifetime, I have known a girl in 1971 whose father was raping her daily, a yong girl whose older brother was the babysitter and played house with her if she would play mommy and daddy with him, a girl in 1972 who was being molested daily at school by a classmate while the teacher wasn't looking, a girl who was babysat by a young couple only to have the man play touchy feely games when the wife was out of the room. Point is, it happens everywhere, all the time. The only defense is educating the children on what to do if they encounter such. This 6 year old told. Her parents have done a good job. Odds are, the 15 yr old is also someone's victim.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 07/31/10 - 09:48 am
A girl should NEVER be left

A girl should NEVER be left alone with a boy or man at any time EVER. That's the only way to make sure she's not molested. As for a 15 year old boy, sex is pumped into their heads constantly via television, radio, movies and magazines. Even cartoons have sublimal sexual references.
There are only THREE men that I can think of that I'd leave my daughter with and that would only be briefly and if it were an emergency, and I would discuss with her what went on. Even if you think "aw he's a great guy, I've known him all lmy life" --- don't take a chance.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 07/31/10 - 09:56 am
I prefer to have a grown

I prefer to have a grown woman watch mym daughter. Preferably a stay at home Christian woman. I haven't been able to find one yet. Any references out there?

mdb67
mdb67 07/31/10 - 11:16 am
Mandatory 40 years...in my

Mandatory 40 years...in my world!!

MomInRC
MomInRC 07/31/10 - 12:03 pm
JIClemens, the age of consent

JIClemens, the age of consent in Georgia is 16 years old. If you look at the sex offender registry, you'll see lots of statutory rape convictions. The two-year age difference law is exactly why. People find out their daughter had sex and go after the guy, even if the daughter was a willing participant at sixteen or having lied to the guy about her age. It used to be that the guy could prove the girl's promiscuity [sometimes by having his friends lie] and the charges would not stick. This doesn't apply now, as far as I know.

EdithPiaf, as far as not leaving your girl with a man/boy being the only way to keep them from being molested, this obviously is not the case since women/girls molest children also. It's just not as common. Also, what about boys who are molested by both sexes as well? They are as vulnerable as any girl. Molestation isn't about sex [with either sex]; it's about power, violence, manipulation. There is no guaranteed way to protect your children except to never let them leave your sight.

montega12
montega12 07/31/10 - 12:23 pm
its a risk either way male or

its a risk either way male or female.....females will molest a female they babysit...males will also do males and male female female male.....parents should think ahead instead of wanting a night out on the town parenting should is a full time job sadly most are more dedicated to their jobs than their kids.......and some need to tone down on it just being boys.....my sisters friends used to babysit me when they were in high school and my age never stopped us from playing around

iam4him
iam4him 07/31/10 - 06:57 pm
Does anyone know the details

Does anyone know the details of the person arrested for rape on westlake drive

iam4him
iam4him 07/31/10 - 06:57 pm
Does anyone know the details

Does anyone know the details of the person arrested for rape on westlake drive

ann042965
ann042965 11/06/11 - 05:33 pm
WOW, when my 16 teen year old

WOW,
when my 16 teen year old son molested his 2 younger brothers who where 6 and 8 and his auntie who was 9 at the time...all the DOJJ did was to lock him up for 30 days and send him back to live in the home with his victims where he still is. The law did nothing for them, so I hope that the law does right by this victim in this case.

County official quits

Barry Smith, Columbia County's longtime director of Community and Leisure Services, resigned suddenly Monday without explanation, county officials said.