Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Soldier tells police she was raped

A Fort Gordon soldier told Richmond County sheriff's deputies she was raped Sunday morning by two other soldiers at a hotel on Stevens Creek Road.

The 22-year-old victim,  who lives on post, told deputies she and two male soldiers were at the hotel "having fun and getting drunk" before she woke about 12:15 a.m. to find one of the men having sex with her.

The woman said she was so intoxicated she could do nothing and fell back asleep, only to wake up later to find the other man doing the same.

She took a cab back to Fort Gordon about 4 a.m. and reported the incident to authorities at Eisenhower Army Medical Center, the report said.

nastyrone
nastyrone 07/26/10 - 03:47 am
sound like some bs why the

sound like some bs why the hell u go to a hotel with 2 men

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/26/10 - 05:41 am
I'm not the type to blame the

I'm not the type to blame the victim, but i wouldn't be getting so drunk I can't defend myself with two men in a hotel. Wait a minute, I wouldn't be partying in a hotel with two men alone????... Now if true they were clearly wrong, but come on?

harrisjr
harrisjr 07/26/10 - 06:23 am
Thanks you guys for messing

Thanks you guys for messing it up for the rest of us !!!!!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/26/10 - 06:29 am
Come on to the hotel with us.

Come on to the hotel with us. I won't do anything I shouldn't. That is a campaign promise too.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/26/10 - 06:29 am
If she was that intoxicated,

If she was that intoxicated, how does she know that she didn't say YES.....She must be a southern girl. Northern girls say "yes you can" and southern girls say "yes y'all can"!

overaugusta
overaugusta 07/26/10 - 06:37 am
good thing she came forward.

good thing she came forward. some military women are sexually abused/assaulted by their "coworkers" (not sure what the correct military term would be) and don't say a thing.
she came fwd, hopefully a rape kit was done and now let the MPs sort it out....if we even hear about this case again.

dani
dani 07/26/10 - 06:55 am
Is this a legitimate charge?

Is this a legitimate charge? I don't see rape here.
humbleopinion, I don't care for your remark about southern girls. Shame on you.

dani
dani 07/26/10 - 06:53 am
I hope she is given a lecture

I hope she is given a lecture on correct behavior and that the charges are dismissed.

sml1977
sml1977 07/26/10 - 06:54 am
humbleopinion, what the heck

humbleopinion, what the heck does northern or southern have to do with anything? It is never a smart decision to accompany two men to a hotel and drink to the point of unconsciousness. Noone knows what happened to even speculate, however, it's cases like this that makes it hard to women to taken seriously when these things happen.
I was active duty for 4 years and it is true that there is alot of sexual tension directed towards female soldiers, but, you have to be smart enough not to put yourself into situations that can turn out like this.

momof2heads
momof2heads 07/26/10 - 07:57 am
Did this young lady choose

Did this young lady choose poorly to go to a hotel with these 2 "men"? Yes. Does that mean she deserved to get raped? NO!! I bet she knew them and thought she could trust them. Perhaps it wasn't the alcohol that caused her to not be able to fight back. Maybe they gave her the date rape drug. I can't believe all of you are condemning her from just the article. I hope this never happens to any of your daughters, sisters or friends. Shame on you!!

caraslark
caraslark 07/26/10 - 08:04 am
Doesn't intoxication legally

Doesn't intoxication legally preclude her from giving consent?

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/26/10 - 08:22 am
Dani, according to the

Dani, according to the military all it takes is ONE drink to qualify as being intoxicated and unable to consent, because everyone has different levels of tolerance. I was a DS at Fort Gordon and this scenerio is Very Very common and these young men and women are warned about not having a same sex battle buddy at all times and avoiding ending up in a hotel room alone with alcohol involved. I used to tell them, "If you are in a hotel room with multiple guys and one girl and a bathtub full of alcohol, that's your cue to get her the heck out of there. Unfortunately rapists will always exist. What has to happens is a person must take steps to avoid becoming a victim. Poor girl, but I'm sure she was warned about this, and even knew of girls getting raped in Augusta hotel rooms on the weekends.

corgimom
corgimom 07/26/10 - 08:37 am
"The 22-year-old victim, who

"The 22-year-old victim, who lives on post, told deputies she and two male soldiers were at the hotel "having fun and getting drunk" before she woke about 12:15 a.m. to find one of the men having sex with her."

If she was passed out drunk, how did she know what time it was?

All those men have to say is that "She said yes, she just doesn't remember because she was so drunk." And quite frankly, that just might be true.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/26/10 - 08:56 am
Did this young lady choose

Did this young lady choose poorly to go to a hotel with these 2 "men"? Yes. Does that mean she deserved to get raped? NO! Maybe she trusted them.Young women do have male friends that they trust.

dani
dani 07/26/10 - 09:38 am
Having sex is not ALWAys

Having sex is not ALWAys rape.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/26/10 - 10:08 am
Lets just be glad that Obama

Lets just be glad that Obama hasn't decreed that we are under Muslim Sharia law. The female in question would be facing stoning.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/26/10 - 10:32 am
Sounds like she was an active

Sounds like she was an active participant and regretted it later in the night.... she had no business going to a hotel alone with 2 guys and a bunch of alcohol and not expect anything.... If I were one of the two guys I would probably think that she was ok with it all or else she wouldn't be going.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/26/10 - 10:41 am
This woman made some poor

This woman made some poor choices and her actions have consequences. Deal with them instead of blaming somebody else and expecting the nanny-state to clean your mess up for you.

montega12
montega12 07/26/10 - 11:02 am
nope.... rape will never be

nope.... rape will never be proven in this case its hard enough to convict a complete stranger of rape she will just have to chalk this one up as a stupid mistake the two guys lawyers will rip her to pieces just like they do all women when it comes to rape hate to say it but its the truth dont get mad at me get made at the court system

fishman960
fishman960 07/26/10 - 12:15 pm
Look, women get taken

Look, women get taken advantage of at every turn of life. The fact that they are all soldiers shouldn't matter. Could have been college students. What needs to happen is women need to be more aware of their surroundings. I am going to teach my girl (at the right time) what can happen and what the worst case scenario is for each decision. People need to take responsibility for their actions BEFORE becoming a victim to their own bad decision.

fishman960
fishman960 07/26/10 - 12:20 pm
I dated a soldier that worked

I dated a soldier that worked at Tingay (I was 17). She had received a ride from her C.O. to my place. The C.O. forced her to give oral sex on the way, then dared her to do anything about it. This kind of thing happens all the time.

c.james
c.james 07/26/10 - 01:36 pm
"Said she was so intoxicated

"Said she was so intoxicated she could do nothing and fell back asleep". This sounds like a typical night out with the wife, it sounds suspiciously suspect especially after alleged guy number 2 did the same, and it might have very well been the same guy? Call it a hunch but this sounds like the M.O. of a married woman. We need some DNA evidence here, more to follow on this one.

flipa
flipa 07/26/10 - 08:23 pm
Sounds like two future

Sounds like two future politicians in the making. They intoxicate the voters with a false sense of security and after they are drunk on O.P.M. (o.ther p.eoples m.oney) they....

genbartow
genbartow 07/27/10 - 07:16 pm
Another reason to do away

Another reason to do away with the failed social experiment of the female soldier.

jamie8706
jamie8706 07/27/10 - 07:48 pm
I don't feel sorry for her at

I don't feel sorry for her at all. Why would you go to a hotel with two dudes and sit there and get drunk with them. She is stupid an has no common sense.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.