Savannah police chase ends in gunfight

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:58 AM
Last updated 6:02 AM

SAVANNAH -- Police want to interview a wounded man who showed up at a Savannah hospital this morning following a Saturday night shootout involving officers and an unidentified gunman.

Curtis McCall said he was ready to turn in for the night on Saturday when squealing tires broke the silence outside his Magnolia Park home.

McCall said moments later he saw someone firing shots at a Savannah-Chatham police officer. Then the officer returned fire, McCall said.

"I asked the officer 'Did you get shot, man?'" McCall said. "I could tell he was freaking out. He kept grabbing his shirt saying, 'I don't know.'"

McCall and other neighbors on Saturday night recalled hearing up to 10 gunshots.

A man with a gunshot wound showed up at Memorial University Medical Center moments later, which is less than a mile away from the scene of the shooting. As of this morning, he was expected to be investigated by police, said metro police spokeswoman Gena Moore.

According to police and witnesses, at 9:20 p.m. Saturday a metro officer was assisting Thunderbolt police at a safety checkpoint when a Ford F-150 failed to stop. The metro officer followed the vehicle into Magnolia Park and activated his blue lights. The Ford took off, but eventually slammed into a fire hydrant. Moore and neighbors said the officer commanded the unidentified driver to stop, but he ran away while firing a gun. The officer returned fire, Moore said.

The extent of the injuries of the man who showed up at Memorial was unknown early this morning.

Comments (10)

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 11:40 am

Waterboard him till he admits

Waterboard him till he admits guilt.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/25/10 - 01:53 pm

Glad the officer wasnt

Glad the officer wasnt inured, but I wish he had better aim!!! Woot!! lol

NoHayManera
NoHayManera 07/25/10 - 02:37 pm

"I asked the officer 'Did you

"I asked the officer 'Did you get shot, man?'" McCall said. "I could tell he was freaking out. He kept grabbing his shirt saying, 'Can you see any of my tattoos? I'm not suppose to have any of them visible!'

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/25/10 - 05:54 pm

Lol NoHay! Thank goodness

Lol NoHay! Thank goodness this officer did not get hurt. No training can prepare you for the mental acrobatics it takes to get through a shootout.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/25/10 - 06:51 pm

Good heavenly days! I grew up

Good heavenly days! I grew up on Magnolia Avenue in Magnolia Park. That's always been a neighborhood of doctors, dentists, lawyers, clergy-types and businessmen. It's definitely not the kind of place for a shoot-out.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/25/10 - 06:59 pm

Well, come to find out it

Well, come to find out it wasn't Magnolia Park at all, but several miles away in Daffin Heights. Very different kinds of neighborhoods, to say the least. You'd think the Savannah Morning News could get that one correct.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 07/25/10 - 09:41 pm

LOL LOL Good post

LOL LOL Good post NOHAYMANERA.........Glad the officer wasnt hurt and this waste of skin called a suspect gets 20 to 40 years with his homies at one of the many of state of Georgia free housing facilities (free to the guest, not us taxpayers)

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/26/10 - 07:23 am

Just another day, "with his

Just another day, "with his homies" is that comment aimed at his suspected race? I'm lost, very poor taste on your part. Glad the officer and other residents were not harmed...

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 07/28/10 - 02:21 pm

YES....with his "homies"

YES....with his "homies" Homie. Any more questions? And everytime I eat I can taste the food just fine.