High-speed chase ends with collision

Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:31 PM
Last updated 6:11 PM

Richmond County sheriff's deputies chased a man in a stolen pickup at speeds topping 110 mph this morning before the driver crashed into another car and rolled his vehicle, according to Sgt. Robbie Silas.

The pursuit started about 10:40 a.m. when a deputy attempted to pull over Nathaniel Warren outside the Augusta Lodge in the 1500 block of Gordon Highway because of suspected drug activity, Silas said.

Warren accelerated the 2007 Ford F-150 and led deputies on a chase over roughly 15 miles that ended with the collision near Fort Gordon's Gate 5 on Tobacco Road, Silas said.

Warren and the car's driver were treated for minor injuries at Eisenhower Army Medical Center before Warren was booked on charges of fleeing to elude, driving under the influence, reckless driving, driving on a suspended license and theft by receiving.

Silas said Warren had a history of fleeing from authorities and had been shot at the end of a previous chase.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/24/10 - 03:51 pm
Too bad the officer was a bad

Too bad the officer was a bad shot, as this chase could have been prevented. I guess the Judge will let him go again until he runs into a family and kills them all.

jamesmonty
jamesmonty 07/24/10 - 04:13 pm
Why do they keep leaving this

Why do they keep leaving this type back on the streets?

MyOpinion21
MyOpinion21 07/24/10 - 04:45 pm
I saw the truck - Warren had

I saw the truck - Warren had to be wearing his seatbelt! I'm surprised the driver survived by the looks of the drivers side of the truck. And the officers did a great job of directing traffic through the mess.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/24/10 - 04:54 pm
Drug dealers should be shot

Drug dealers should be shot dead and then asked: "why did you sell them?"

charliemanson
charliemanson 07/24/10 - 05:02 pm
Glad no innocent person got

Glad no innocent person got hurt during the chase.

iakovos
iakovos 07/24/10 - 05:25 pm
rmwhitley mean spirited

rmwhitley mean spirited people along racist,drug dealers,intolerant and hypocrites might need to be shot also.

disssman
disssman 07/24/10 - 05:50 pm
Iakovos. I gather you are

Iakovos. I gather you are one of the folks who wants marijuana legalized. The question is, what were the folks on crack, cocaine, heroin, meth and on and on and on using before they got on the good stuff?

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/24/10 - 06:32 pm
Disss, common sense and

Disss, common sense and responsibility are the only thing that stops drung use. It is my understanding that you cannot legislate those things into the population. We have been trying for nearly 100 years to stop drug use, and have now been guilty of subsidizing it.

Since no one has the political bravery to stop the drug war, we will continue to put everyone at risk of violence. I just pray everyone I care about makes it out alive.

justmyvu
justmyvu 07/24/10 - 06:35 pm
To dissman: Everyone on drugs

To dissman: Everyone on drugs did not start with marijuana and everyone who smokes marijuana do not move on to other drugs. Some people have addictive personalities and some have such issues in their lives that they feel drugs are the only way to escape. No one just wakes up one morning and decides they want to be a drug addict, it just happens when you make bad decisions. These people need help to get off the drugs and then for the real root of the problem. There are some people, and I mean doctors, lawyers, government officials and such who use marijuana recreationally but they still function as productive members of society. Marijuana has some very good medicinal uses and if the government was smart, they would have already legalized it and put the enormous profits they would get to good use. Of course there will have to be regulation with it but it could be beneficial in many different ways. Alcohol is legal and it has a far worse effect on people than marijuana. I would rather see someone driving a car after smoking a joint than drinking a pint of liquor. Are you one of those drunk drivers that put all of our lives at risk everytime you drink? If so, maybe you should smoke a joint instead and see how much different it is than alcohol. Our streets would be much safer.

iakovos
iakovos 07/24/10 - 07:01 pm
disssman: No the law is the

disssman: No the law is the law but sometimes we have to use common sense, we all are subject to do the same if we're careful.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/24/10 - 07:46 pm
What about the innocent

What about the innocent driver in this wreck - the one that had to be treated for injuries that were caused by this junkie? Who gives him/her a second thought? He/she just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/24/10 - 08:47 pm
Truly, strike at the root. If

Truly, strike at the root. If drugs were legalized, no one would have chased this junkie.

lsmith
lsmith 07/24/10 - 08:53 pm
iakovos: Where did your

iakovos: Where did your reference for racist manifest from? You seem to be over sensitive on that and those blasted hypocrites. Drat them!
Personally, I do think repeat drug dealers of any color, height, age or religious persuasion should be probably put down or certainly away for a very long time.
Unfortunately, some pathetic excuse for a judge let this vermin back out on the streets to deal his drugs, and run from the law again. I'm guessing he had a substantial rapsheet. Glad he didn't take out some innocent family in the process. I'll be watching this case as it goes to trial and hopefully he'll get what he deserves, which is NO MORE CHANCES!!!!!

iakovos
iakovos 07/24/10 - 09:32 pm
Ismith that's fine if the law

Ismith that's fine if the law see fit and sensitive i'm not i see wrong as wrong and right as right that's all. People can say things and cause others to suffer by thier own personal bias not base on anything other than thier feelings. If God made man that i belive, still lives and breathes he can change if he chooses. If the crime is very bad then he or she should not live among us. ICXP

dani
dani 07/24/10 - 09:49 pm
The man was driving a stolen

The man was driving a stolen pick-up - should car theft be legalized too?.

corgimom
corgimom 07/24/10 - 09:59 pm
"To dissman: Everyone on

"To dissman: Everyone on drugs did not start with marijuana"

That's right dissman, there's always that one in 100,000,000, you know.

corgimom
corgimom 07/24/10 - 10:01 pm
"I would rather see someone

"I would rather see someone driving a car after smoking a joint than drinking a pint of liquor. "

What kind of reasoning is THAT??? How about "nobody has the right to use drugs or alcohol and drive", because DEAD is DEAD? Is one DEAD better than another DEAD?

corgimom
corgimom 07/24/10 - 10:03 pm
You know what? Way back

You know what? Way back hundreds of years ago, people robbed and killed for salt and spices.

Anything that people want that is hard to get, and valuable, causes crimes. And if it's addictive and you need more and more of it to get high, there is no such thing as enough.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/24/10 - 10:43 pm
disssman, answer to your

disssman, answer to your question. Corgi too. Alcohol..... the thing that kills more innocent people than the others combined and the thing that has the less penalties for drunk related crimes and the only one legal!! The thing you both probably use. Have you ever used it period? Altering your state of mind intentionally for a buzz with something man made makes you no different that someone smoking a joint, you are still a drug user, just legal. Pots a natural high, man created alcohol to get high and okaying one and banning the other is hypocritical to say the least.

flipa
flipa 07/24/10 - 10:55 pm
He flew by me and almost

He flew by me and almost turned over as he ran a red while i was sitting still waiting to merge. He passed me so fast my car was sucked sideways and i could hear a big whoosh. i palmed my nine but 2 cop cars came up behind chasing so i let him go. Don't drink or smoke so to celebrate not getting run over i just drove on out to Grovetown & put my fonzi touch to work frosting down some cooked renters. Life is good; scum should be taken out before they keep killing off taxpayers.

flipa
flipa 07/25/10 - 01:14 am
This incident encourages me

This incident encourages me to proceed retrofiting a Light Antitank Weapon, (L.A.W.) with a harpoon and cable to shoot into the rear of fleeing & evading auto's. Doing patent search this week.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 02:56 am
Takeastand, you think it's ok

Takeastand, you think it's ok for someone to drive while stoned, then I truly don't know what to say. They can hit and injure YOU rather than me and my family. Then you can say, "Hey, it was only pot, it was just a natural high."

Well, cocaine and opium are natural highs, too. Want to drive down the road and come across a crackhead or a junkie driving?

3g
3g 07/25/10 - 07:22 am
Corgi - although I highly

Corgi - although I highly respect most of your opinions , you are WAAAAAAAAAY off base when it comes to the drug issue . Drug use is a HEALTH problem , not a CRIMINAL problem . Tobacco , alcohol and RX drugs are causing WAY more deaths than "illegal drugs" EVER will . How can Government make a plant growing from our Earth illegal and allow companies like Monsanto to have a patent on GMO seeds and fine farmers who do not use them ? That is pure , unadulterated hypocrisy . Corgi - don't know if you have ever tried pot and then driven , I do it all the time and my driving skills are 10x better than 90% of those on the road .

3g
3g 07/25/10 - 07:27 am
Taylor B 8:47 - EXACTLY , as

Taylor B 8:47 - EXACTLY , as soon as we as a society realize that the "legal" drugs are just as bad , if not worse than "illegal" drugs and commit health resources to this problem instead of waging war on innocent people , the incentive to be a dealer or be in a gang centered around dealing will go away - no $$$$$$ in it .

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/10 - 08:27 am
"at speeds topping 110" How

"at speeds topping 110" How many out there own a STOCK 2007 Ford F-150 that will do 110 miles per hour?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/10 - 08:35 am
3g, I have only one question,

3g, I have only one question, How is your job performance skills in comparison to your fellow workers?

butler123
butler123 07/25/10 - 09:06 am
I personally never liked the

I personally never liked the high from "pot". However I do think it should be legalized, but regulated. I don't think you should smoke pot and drive. That is probably the issue with legalizing it. They would have to create new sobriety test that could be used in the field.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 07/25/10 - 09:16 am
flipa, you scare me more than

flipa, you scare me more than some of these criminals do. At least I can recognize them and they are not trying to blend into the main stream.

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 10:27 am
You users speak with the same

You users speak with the same purpose and intelligence that al sharpton does.

iakovos
iakovos 07/25/10 - 10:55 am
usafvet so now Al Sharpton is

usafvet so now Al Sharpton is a bad person because he has an opinion defferent than yours, and that makes Christ bad too!