2 SC men die when cars fall off jacks

CHARLESTON, S.C.  — Officials say two South Carolina men have died after cars slipped off jacks in separate incidents.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported 30-year-old Nicholas Monnich of Charleston died Saturday night after a car fell off a jack in his driveway.

Forty-three-year-old Gary Anthony of Mount Pleasant had died Friday afternoon when a car he was working on slipped off a jack. Officials say Anthony had the car on two jacks when he apparently tried to raise of them and the car slipped.

Charleston County Chief Deputy Coroner Judy Koelpin says neither car had blocks under the wheels.

bbracey
bbracey 07/19/10 - 10:16 am
What a sad story, you have to

What a sad story, you have to be very careful when working on cars. on a jack stands my heart goes out to the family.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/10 - 12:48 pm
Wow, 2 in one weekend. So

Wow, 2 in one weekend. So Sad. Condolences to their families.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/19/10 - 02:08 pm
That is strange for both

That is strange for both accidents to happen in Charleston on the same weekend. I wonder if the jacks were the same brand, maybe bought from the same store? Could they be defective?

sassygirl8
sassygirl8 07/19/10 - 03:51 pm
wow!!! what a freak accident

wow!!! what a freak accident in both cases. that is so sad to hear. my prayers to the families

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/10 - 06:51 pm
Good point Riverman, that is

Good point Riverman, that is worth looking into as it is a huge coincidence.

sojumaster
sojumaster 07/28/10 - 11:05 am
While it is a sad event, the

While it is a sad event, the last line of the article tells the reason why it happened, it had nothing to the jacks but a failure of the operators to block the wheels.

Pich
Pich 08/20/10 - 08:40 pm
It is a very sad story. After

It is a very sad story. After I saw my neighbors sleeve caught by his car on the drive way I decided to invest in a lift. I found a small one called EZcarlift. Best is that I can use it any place I have been using jack stands and jacks and the thing is unbelievable stable. I am impress and will suggest it to anyone who works on cars. Our families are very important and we should not take any chances