Ex-SC lawmaker, 91, fatally beaten

COLUMBIA — A 91-year-old former South Carolina lawmaker has been beaten to death at his home and police have a suspect in custody.

Multiple media outlets reported that Frances Rawl of Columbia was found by his grandson Tuesday afternoon.

Jail records show 18-year-old Jesse Ray Lane of Hopkins was arrested Wednesday night and charged with murder. Police think Lane broke into Rawl's home to rob him. Richland County Coroner Gary Watts says Rawl died from blows to the head.

Officers would not say if other suspects are being sought.

Les Rawl went to look for his grandfather after he failed to show up for work Tuesday at Sedgewood Country Club in Hopkins, which he owned.

The South Carolina House clerk says Rawl served in the House from 1947 to 1948 and from 1951 to 1952.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 07/08/10 - 11:17 am
This is really sad. My

This is really sad. My father is elderly and I can't imagine that kind of violence towards a defenseless person. Prayers are with the family. The judge needs to order the criminal "under the jail'. There is pure evil in some people and this is a prime example.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/08/10 - 11:27 am
If I wrote the words that I

If I wrote the words that I feel would be proper punishment for this piece of human excrement, I would get the proverbial Abuse warning. I just hope they fry him, until he is unrecognizable, then feed the remains to a pig.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/08/10 - 11:33 am
Isn't it spelled Francis

Isn't it spelled Francis Rawl, not Frances? Frances is the female version of the name. I've found Mr. Rawl's first name reported both ways online, so I don't know which one is actually his. It is a he, isn't it? It would be nice to know for sure which way is the one that was on his birth certificate.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 07/08/10 - 12:14 pm
While not perfect Im glad my

While not perfect Im glad my aging father still has a glock 19 at his disposal for home defense.

speeding
speeding 07/08/10 - 01:27 pm
Beat this thug to death.

Beat this thug to death.

DavidGee
DavidGee 08/05/10 - 07:38 am
Mr. Rawl was a nice man. I

Mr. Rawl was a nice man. I saw him every week at his golf course, which he kept inexpensive for locals to play. He took in stray dogs which then learned to love the course as well. He was a Battle of the Bulge veteran and a Colonel in World War II. The young man who beat him is a coward. He's gone forever, hopefully.