Worker electrocuted in Martinez

Workmen survey the scene Thursday after a co-worker was shocked by electricity.

 

A Hoschton, Ga., electrician died today after he was struck in the face by a live wire in front of a Martinez residence.

William Bret Ward, 45, was hit in the forehead by a live wire at about 10:30 a.m. while working on a ground transformer at a home on the 3900 block of Braddock Street, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.

“(He) was pulling a wire into it and apparently his head came in contact with the current, and it electrocuted him,” Collins said.

Ward, a worker with Utility Lines Construction Services Inc., was wearing protective gloves and rubber sleeves when the wire hit him, Collins said.

Ward’s co-workers performed CPR on him until Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue and EMS crews arrived at the scene.

“It was just too much for him,” Collins said.

Ward was pronounced dead at about 11:30 a.m. at Doctors Hospital.

 

Reach Jenna Martin at (706) 868-1222, ext. 109, or

jenna.martin@augustachronicle.com.

 

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more