Worker electrocuted in Martinez

Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:10 AM
Last updated 5:29 PM
  • Follow Latest News

A Hoschton, Ga., electrician died today after he was struck in the face by a live wire in front of a Martinez residence.

Workmen survey the scene Thursday after a co-worker was shocked by electricity.
  Jim Blaylock/ Staff
Jim Blaylock/ Staff
Workmen survey the scene Thursday after a co-worker was shocked by electricity.

William Bret Ward, 45, was hit in the forehead by a live wire at about 10:30 a.m. while working on a ground transformer at a home on the 3900 block of Braddock Street, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.

“(He) was pulling a wire into it and apparently his head came in contact with the current, and it electrocuted him,” Collins said.

Ward, a worker with Utility Lines Construction Services Inc., was wearing protective gloves and rubber sleeves when the wire hit him, Collins said.

Ward’s co-workers performed CPR on him until Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue and EMS crews arrived at the scene.

“It was just too much for him,” Collins said.

Ward was pronounced dead at about 11:30 a.m. at Doctors Hospital.

 

Reach Jenna Martin at (706) 868-1222, ext. 109, or

jenna.martin@augustachronicle.com.

 

Comments (9) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Deployed
413
Points
Deployed 07/01/10 - 11:44 am
0
0
Prayers.

Prayers.

Dawgman
0
Points
Dawgman 07/01/10 - 11:49 am
0
0
Amen!

Amen!

whynot2
5
Points
whynot2 07/01/10 - 03:31 pm
0
0
My thoughts and prayers to

My thoughts and prayers to the family of this gentleman.

1beachbum
0
Points
1beachbum 07/01/10 - 05:01 pm
0
0
Oh, how horrible! My thoughts

Oh, how horrible! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

johnston.cliff
2
Points
johnston.cliff 07/01/10 - 05:13 pm
0
0
Another peculiar accident

Another peculiar accident that can happen when you have a dangerous job, and working around high voltage electricity qualifies.

Dixieman
22472
Points
Dixieman 07/01/10 - 08:09 pm
0
0
Prayers and condolences.

Prayers and condolences.

Ole School
1
Points
Ole School 07/01/10 - 09:05 pm
0
0
I used to work in this field

I used to work in this field and I know how it could happen , I really feel sorry for this man . its not a trade for all . and you can`t be too careful . My prayers go out to his family.

Cadence
219
Points
Cadence 07/02/10 - 12:52 am
0
0
So sad.

So sad.

JROD
0
Points
JROD 07/02/10 - 04:50 pm
0
0
We had just recieved an email

We had just recieved an email about William. We work with Lisa. She is the Compensation Benefits Administrator at the Athens-Clark County government. Some of the nicest people you want to meet. Our prayers are with Lisa and her 2 sons. (8 and 11)

Back to Top
loading...
Search Augusta jobs