Republicans spar over immigration in debate

JEKYLL ISLAND, Ga. — Two Republicans running to be Georgia's next governor are squaring off over whether teachers and hospitals should be responsible for helping catch illegal immigrants.

GOP candidate Eric Johnson told a debate audience at Jekyll Island today that as governor he would make schools and hospitals verify the citizenship of students and patients in Georgia to keep illegal immigrants from getting services.

Former congressman Nathan Deal replied that the state's teachers don't need the burden of enforcing immigration laws. He said immigration enforcement should be left to law enforcement.

Republican Karen Handel sat out the debate, holding to a pledge that she refuses to share a stage with candidate Ray McBerry after allegations surfaced he once had a relationship with a teenage girl.

McBerry, who denies any wrongdoing, introduced himself as standing in for Handel.

55 F-100
55 F-100 06/17/10 - 04:41 pm
Johnson has got it right,

Johnson has got it right, however he needs to add one more stipulation....and that is to do away with the "anchor baby" situation. In other words, if mommy and daddy are not legal, then the baby is not an American Citizen...pure and simple....and this applies to downloads of any nationality who are not in the U.S.A. legally.

disssman
disssman 06/17/10 - 04:44 pm
Deal should know that

Deal should know that teachers have nothing to do with administrative things like registering for the year or free lunch. Of course he knows where to lay the rod on (teachers) to get a negative response. As of right now, without ever seeing or knowing him, I would vote for Johnson. The greatest threat to America is not the oil slick messing up peoples vacation, rather, it is the millions of illegals.

crackerjack
crackerjack 06/17/10 - 06:22 pm
I will be casting my vote for

I will be casting my vote for Eric Johnson.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/17/10 - 06:58 pm
Deal is clouding the issue

Deal is clouding the issue with his "teachers enforcing immigration laws" spiel. Keep things clear Nathan if you want the voters to listen to you. We have enough "politicospeak" going on without adding to the noise.

LCC0256
LCC0256 06/17/10 - 07:14 pm
Illegal aliens are indeed the

Illegal aliens are indeed the single greatest threat to this country. California is bankrupt over the issue... MANY OTHER STATES are on the precipice of bankruptcy for THE EXACT SAME REASON...Legalize them and instantly the quasi-socialist now in power in Washington DC will be there to DICTATE TO freedom loving constitutionalist (like me) until of course the next revolution...

deportem
deportem 06/17/10 - 07:42 pm
The last time my wife was

The last time my wife was admitted to Aiken Regional, the admissions clerk asked my wife for her SS#. I asked, "What about the Illegal Aliens?" I found out that the hospital assigns a dummy SS# to Illegals, and we, the taxpayers, eat the bill!
We need a president that will conduct "Operation Wetback II". Ike conducted "Operation Wetback I" back in the early 50's, so the WW II and Korean War veterans would have jobs.

Junket831
Junket831 06/17/10 - 08:12 pm
We should all have to prove

We should all have to prove our citizenship at various interactions. Registering for school, medical care, drivers license, public assistance, etc. Stop coddling the illegals and they will go away. Everyone needs to be doing it legally and there is nothing wrong with checking on an individuals citizenship. The only ones complaining are the ones that aren't here legally or get some benefit from the illegal aliens.

30cal
30cal 06/17/10 - 09:37 pm
CITIZENS ,POLICEMAN

CITIZENS ,POLICEMAN ,DOCTOR'S, ADMINISTRATOR'S , TEACHER'S ,IMMIGRATION is THE problem ,crowded schools ,hospitals going broke lack of funds ,crime ,ALL these are a result of illeagle immigration .
IF you are not part of the solution then YOU are also part of the problem.

30cal
30cal 06/17/10 - 09:44 pm
the teacher who is to busy to

the teacher who is to busy to report suspected illeagles can not CRY about being under paid or over crowded classroom's.NOR can the administrators who NEED tuition raises..NURSE'S HOSPITAL STAFF long hours no budget, you treat them you pay.
once it starts they will weed them self's out. look at ARIZONA, they are running like RAT'S because that ship has started to sink

corgimom
corgimom 06/18/10 - 01:33 am
All a state needs to do is

All a state needs to do is enforce Federal law and deport the ones that are detained. You won't need to worry about the schools or hospitals collecting the info. They will leave in droves.

reader54
reader54 06/18/10 - 04:21 am
deportem: Thanks for the tip.

deportem: Thanks for the tip. Heck, if you can't beat em, join em! I think that if I have to go to the emergency room, I'll use the ole "me no speak Englese, routine. Might as well, the Gov't is going down the tubes anyway.

NewHere
NewHere 06/18/10 - 08:30 am
The biggest threat to the USA

The biggest threat to the USA is the ignorance of some of the posters here.

Jane18
Jane18 06/18/10 - 08:31 am
I, also, will be casting my

I, also, will be casting my vote for Mr. Johnson. I agree with 30cal.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...