Ga. babysitter gave baby wine to be quiet

CARROLLTON, Ga. — A babysitter who admitted feeding an infant wine to get him to go to sleep has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

The sitter, 41-year-old Tammy Denise Truitt of Carrollton, pleaded guilty on June 2 to aggravated battery.

Carrollton Police Lt. James Perry said Truitt was hired to babysit the infant, who was 9 months old, and his four siblings, aged 9, 7, 5 and 3, last July when the children's mother went to Atlanta for a family emergency.

Police said that when the children's grandmother arrived, she found the baby unresponsive. He was taken to a hospital, where tests revealed a blood-alcohol level of .33.

Doctors in Carrollton and Atlanta treated the infant before sending him home.

___

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/17/10 - 09:39 am
You wouldn't believe the

You wouldn't believe the supposedly intelligent people I've heard bragging that they gave their children a little alcohol, or cold syrup (one was a former EMT!), to calm them down to take a nap or go to sleep. I even heard a mother say she drank a little wine to encourage labor to come on by a certain date she found economically expedient for TWO of her pregnancies. I cannot believe the ignorance from people that should know better! I could no longer trust their judgment.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/17/10 - 09:43 am
I suppose wine is okay if you

I suppose wine is okay if you don't have any bourbon.....

beboisme
beboisme 06/17/10 - 09:49 am
At least they didn't consume

At least they didn't consume alcohol through out their pregnancies, ever see a baby born from an alcoholic mother? As bad or worse than a crack mom. Immediate hystorectomy following births of these kinds should, without a doubt be legalized.

beboisme
beboisme 06/17/10 - 09:57 am
Trey Enfantry your as bored

Trey Enfantry your as bored as I am looking and commenting on these news items. Your a hoot too!!

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 06/17/10 - 10:04 am
8 years? Should have used a

8 years? Should have used a little less. Jack D always works for the gums when teething. Just don't fill the bottle. I could go rob a gas station @ gun point and get less time.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/17/10 - 10:21 am
beboisme, I did mention that

beboisme, I did mention that some women drink alcohol during their pregnancy. You don't go into labor without being pregnant.

smec29
smec29 06/17/10 - 03:48 pm
Autumn leaves there is a BIG

Autumn leaves there is a BIG differnce in having a glass here and there and being a full blown alcoholic.

beboisme
beboisme 06/17/10 - 05:09 pm
Autumn Leaves,re-read what

Autumn Leaves,re-read what you wrote, your last comment is a bit confusing. I think your leaves are getting over the fall colors.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 06/17/10 - 06:47 pm
You want labor? Forget the

You want labor? Forget the alcohol. Try a little whosyadaddy.

Indigo
Indigo 06/17/10 - 07:50 pm
A BUI.........damn lady.

A BUI.........damn lady. (Baby under influence)

beboisme
beboisme 06/17/10 - 09:46 pm
I guess Autumn Leaves retired

I guess Autumn Leaves retired a little early this evening.

augusta citizen