Arrest stuns wife

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:24 PM
Last updated 6:28 PM

The family of suspect Anthony Saxon say they are stunned by his Tuesday arrest.

In a telephone interview this morning, Rhonda Saxon said she came home to find her home being searched by authorities and that her husband of 15 years was in custody.

Anthony Saxon, 34, of Keysville was arrested Tuesday after Fort Gordon authorities say they discovered explosives and “military like” items in his knapsack. He was charged with impersonating a soldier.

“He was in the military at one time,” his wife said. “I was under the impression we moved here because he had a job at Fort Gordon.”

She and her husband  moved from Florida to Keysville in December.

“I don’t understand,” Saxon said. “I was under the impression he was leaving for Iraq Thursday.”

She said she arrived home Tuesday to find police officers, FBI and the bomb squad removing items. She said they removed all her sons’ guns and several grenades and bombs her husband made to look like the real thing.

“My husband has never been in trouble before. He’s really a good guy.”

Saxon said there are so many things that aren’t adding up. She said she’s personally heard voicemail messages from officials at Fort Gordon telling her husband when and where to meet on base.

She said her husband has always been infatuated with the military.

Rhonda Saxon’s three sons always looked up to their daddy.

Her oldest son, a 13-year-old, said he wanted to be just like his dad and his mother said the child doesn’t understand why his father was arrested.

“All of the kids adore him,” she said. “He’s a great dad.”

“I just don’t understand how this could have been a lie for 15 years,” she said.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/16/10 - 12:47 pm
Holy cow...if she is telling

Holy cow...if she is telling the truth...where was he going Thursday?

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:09 pm
To help the other nut-case

To help the other nut-case find and kill Osama Bin-Laden? There are some real psychos out there.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/16/10 - 01:16 pm
I don't believe either the

I don't believe either the fellow after OBL, or this poor guy, are psychos! I would rather wait until the investigations are complete to "pass judgment."

If the messages on the phone, that the wife heard are true, they can be traced! Time will tell!

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/16/10 - 01:18 pm
I am sure all this is going

I am sure all this is going to work out just fine. Once the investigation is over Anthony will be cleared and then all will be well. However, now that his cover is blown he will have to find another line of work. Anthony loves his country and his family.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:19 pm
by psycos I mean complete

by psycos I mean complete nuts.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:20 pm
yeah right!

yeah right!

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:22 pm
we lived next door to that

we lived next door to that kind one time. He really was a nut case. We lived in fear. You don't know what it's like till you have lived next to one.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:23 pm
They are able to convince

They are able to convince people that they are the cats meow.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:26 pm
Just because someone says

Just because someone says they love this country does not mean they get a pass to do whatever their little heart desires.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/16/10 - 01:27 pm
happychimer, please just give

happychimer, please just give it couple of days before you jump to conclusions.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:29 pm
The man claimed to be

The man claimed to be military, for God's sake! You approve of that?

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 06/16/10 - 01:36 pm
happychimer there is a button

happychimer there is a button located on your posts that says "Edit" - press that if you need to add something, no need to spam 5 messages in a 10 minutes time period - just saying lol

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:36 pm
Saxon is believed to be

Saxon is believed to be involved in a theft of military equipment at Fort Gordon back in April.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 01:38 pm
I will use the edit button

I will use the edit button when and if I choose. I have used it before. I do know what it is for, and I am capable of posting comments without anyone standing over me telling me how to post.

burninater
burninater 06/16/10 - 01:46 pm
Hearing voicemails from

Hearing voicemails from "officials at Fort Gordon", doesn't mean the callers were actually officials from Fort Gordon. Sounds like the guy had some accomplices, but was hiding whatever he was up to from his family. Sad if true.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/16/10 - 01:51 pm
Happy, we live in a world of

Happy, we live in a world of posters here, all with different opinions, and are sometimes prone to use name-calling, me included. I would not refer to someone as a psycho unless they had been diagnosed as such! Think before posting, some innocent family member may be reading your posts, mine included!

happychimer
19521
happychimer 06/16/10 - 02:07 pm
Well la-te da. Ya'll can have

Well la-te da. Ya'll can have it all now I posted MY opinion, and now ya'll can have it. bye.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/16/10 - 02:58 pm
I bet the guy who lived next

I bet the guy who lived next door to her was scared also.

mable8
mable8 06/16/10 - 03:06 pm
What a sorry mess this has

What a sorry mess this has left the family in; what if the investigation does show that he was working with the military? Sometimes, the media jumps the gun and provides too much information. If the guy fails to muster inspection, then he will pay the piper; if the reverse is true, how is the media going to rectify any wrongs to the man and his family? By the way happychimer, I saw your recommended website; although they said Saxon was BELIEVED to be involved, the mater is still under investigation. Many times, officials believe something is true and later find it is not--you are so ready to condemn another, is it impossible for you to wait for more facts? If he had plans to cause harm, then throw him under the bus; if he did not, then folks like you will owe him at least an apology. As to the wife not knowing about his activities, that is not unusual; some men don't even know what their wives do for a living. As I said, this is one sorry mess, especially for the family.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 06/16/10 - 03:01 pm
It said that several grenades

It said that several grenades and bombs that looked like the real thing were removed. To me it seems like he's been practicing for the real deal. Perhaps this Thursday was his intended date for mayhem and so he was telling his family his goodbyes in a round about way?

Of course this is only my speculation and I'm very interested to see the story unfold as its investigated.

DowntownDemon
DowntownDemon 06/16/10 - 03:13 pm
HappyChimer---I totally agree

HappyChimer---I totally agree with you on this one. Sounds like someone a few brick short of a full load. Just glad that he was caught before he could kill some of the finest soldiers in the world.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/16/10 - 04:45 pm
mable8, thanks I totallly

mable8, thanks I totallly agree with your post!

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/16/10 - 06:07 pm
This is really going to turn

This is really going to turn out bad if they find this man had nothing to do with the missing military equipment and that possibly he was working with someone at Ft. Gordon secretly and was heading to Iraq in a couple of days. Someone will owe someone a big apology. If not, then I'm sure this dude will have to pay the piper.

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 06/16/10 - 06:11 pm
Some of you you folks need to

Some of you you folks need to sign up with the Lakers or Celtics, because the way you jump to conclusions I know you can dunk a basketball!!!!

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/16/10 - 06:25 pm
Good one Nativeson1, ROTFL

Good one Nativeson1, ROTFL

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/16/10 - 08:07 pm
Wow my heart goes out to his

Wow my heart goes out to his pitiful wife and kids. Just like a man to have a secret that they keep from there wives. are there any honest men left??? if so where can i find one

Ole School
Ole School 06/16/10 - 08:46 pm
Yes there are Honest Men ,

Yes there are Honest Men , .... like me ..... Married and worked in Prison for 18 years....... but hey I say , give him a gun or two and parachute his rear in there where Osama was last seen

rmajor
rmajor 06/16/10 - 11:17 pm
The wife really sounds

The wife really sounds surprised. This is really sad. I'll wait to see what the investigation reveals. It really is puzzling huh?

dickworth1
dickworth1 06/17/10 - 02:38 am
Don't believe everything you

Don't believe everything you hear from your authorities until the whole
investigation is over. I believe that citizens are getting tired of things
that are happening to America with your politicians and all the talk
from the leaders. Why are we so quick to condemn everyone that authorities are investigating, read the paper about our authorities and
the arrogant ways of not paying taxes, making deals with taxpayer money, and trying to move this country toward communistic ways. The
leaders we have are pitiful.

Hera
Hera 06/17/10 - 05:59 am
You guys on here really crack

You guys on here really crack me up. Had this man been any other race you all would be quick to pass judgement. What's wrong people? You all are so judgemental towards every other subject and race of people on here. And for all of you with your head in the clouds trying to defend this nut case should know if this man had any real involvement with the military or any secret service this news would not have never, ever been published or ever spoken about in the media. YES, the US Govn't has that type of power and you all know it. HAPPYCHIMER, I AGREE 100% THE MAN IS A PYSCHO AND I CARE LESS WHO FEELS OTHERWISE. If he commited a terroristic threat towards Fort Gordon you cotton-minded people would not be singing the same tune especially if you or a family were injured or killed!