2 Marines arrested in attack on gay man in Savannah

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:08 AM
Last updated 7:10 AM

SAVANNAH -- Two Marines were jailed Saturday on misdemeanor battery charges after they beat up a gay man they thought winked at them, according to Savannah-Chatham police.

About 3:45 a.m., a metro police officer was patrolling when he saw two men running on Congress Lane. Moments later, the officer received a call about a man at Congress and Bull streets who was lying on the ground unconscious.

The officer rushed to the intersection and found 26-year-old Kieran Daly unconscious, with friends performing emergency first aid, a report stated.

The officer caught up with the two men who were running, identified as 22-year-old Keil Joseph Cronauer and 23-year-old Christopher Charles Stanzel. Police records show both men are stationed at Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort, S.C.

Cronauer and Stanzel told police they were being harassed by a gay man and wanted to get away from him. But witnesses painted a different picture, according to the report.

They told police before the men were seen dashing away from Johnson Square, one of them grew angry because they thought Daly was winking at them and struck Daly in the back of the head with his fist, knocking him unconscious.

Saturday night, from his bed at Memorial University Medical Center, Daly insisted he tried to convince the Marines he was not winking at them.

"The guy thought I was winking at him," Daly said. "I told him, 'I was squinting, man. ... I'm tired.'"

Daly said one of the men told him he demanded respect because he served in Iraq. And at least one hurled slurs at him as he tried to walk away.

"That's the last thing I remember is walking away," Daly said. "I remember the feeling of getting hit, but I only kind of remember it."

Daly said after his friends performed cardio-pulmonary resuscitation at the scene, he was taken to Memorial University Medical Center and diagnosed with bruises to his brain. He had two seizures immediately after the attack and was expected to remain at Memorial for the next few days for observation.

Meanwhile, Cronauer and Stanzel were booked into Chatham County jail on battery charges and later released to military police, according to jail and police records.

Daly said he came out six months ago and since has only received a few negative looks and comments. But Saturday's incident left him wondering whether the misdemeanor charge against his suspected attackers was enough.

"It leaves me wondering why Georgia is one of five states that doesn't have a hate crime law on the state level," he said.

Metro police spokeswoman Gena Moore said the incident is being monitored by her department's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender liaison.

Jesse Morgan, president of the Gay-Straight Alliance at Armstrong State Atlantic University, recently organized a rally downtown to raise awareness of hate against gay Chatham County residents. He said the incident was only one example of what gay Savannahians experience every day.

"We can't even walk on the street and be out and gay on the street," Morgan said. "Our punishment for that is anyone attacking us just for being who we are. This type of behavior has to stop."

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/13/10 - 06:45 am
Throw the thugs in the

Throw the thugs in the brig!!! I know marines aren't known for being very bright but this was idiotic. Even if this guy winked at them, there's no reason for such violence.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/13/10 - 06:48 am
see next post

see next post

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/13/10 - 06:47 am
Don't get in a fight in a gay

Don't get in a fight in a gay bar. The witnesses won't be on your side. My question is, why were the straight guys in a gay bar? If it was gays in a straight bar, well, this incident explains why the "don't ask, don't tell" rule is in existence. Oil and water may look somewhat similar, but they don't mix.

bettyboop
bettyboop 06/13/10 - 06:55 am
I didn't read anything about

I didn't read anything about a bar.....but just goes to show you ..don't be winking at Marines!

NewHere
NewHere 06/13/10 - 07:01 am
There are no excuses for the

There are no excuses for the marines, they should pay the price just like anybody else.

hobohobbitt
hobohobbitt 06/13/10 - 07:06 am
He was "squinting" at 0330???

He was "squinting" at 0330??? hmm. JonnyC, wheere do you get they were in a gay bar?

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 06/13/10 - 07:28 am
They guy said,"we cant be out

They guy said,"we cant be out and be gay on they street" no one wants to see them being gay on they street,those people need to learn we dont want them around us,so they should stop pushing to be where they are not wanted

jiclemens
jiclemens 06/13/10 - 07:42 am
These two losers can demand

These two losers can demand respect all they want but they just lost mine. They don't deserve to be trusted with "defending our freedom" anywhere and give the marines a bad name. It was a hate crime, not a fecking misdemeanor.

mommie2
mommie2 06/13/10 - 07:53 am
Hobo have you never been a

Hobo have you never been a little drunk and had droopy eyelids? This is ridiculous. He was just walking down the street, a public street for that matter...not parading like a drag queen. Dishonorable discharge.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 06/13/10 - 08:19 am
someone on this board tell me

someone on this board tell me which of you want to see two men are two women walking the street to be all arm in arm or holding hands,or kissing? I sure dont.If gays are free to do their thing,then I'm free to do mine.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 06/13/10 - 08:22 am
jimihil Gods words dont

jimihil Gods words dont change even if it is 2010

workedforit
workedforit 06/13/10 - 08:51 am
There is probably more to

There is probably more to this story than the squinter and the marines are telling or is written here. Sounds like Kieran Daly should watch how gay he tries to be out on the street.

corgimom
corgimom 06/13/10 - 08:54 am
The military will take care

The military will take care of them, especially since it was in the paper.

As for "God's word", God never said attack people on the street because you think they are winking at you. I wonder how anyone would think that's Christian behavior.

dickworth1
dickworth1 06/13/10 - 08:56 am
Invite those marine to

Invite those marine to augusta's gay parade!

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 06/13/10 - 08:59 am
lets dont play dumb,I never

lets dont play dumb,I never meant Gods word said attack any one any where, you should have knew what I meant,seems you know Gods word also,I think you did know what I meant but just wanted to change it around for the sake of change

disssman
disssman 06/13/10 - 09:15 am
Rainbow you have my

Rainbow you have my permission to hold hands, be all arm in arm, hug and walk beside your wife of girlfriend, but don't ever let me see you kiss her on the cheek except in the privacy of your home. Man you would have a hard time making friends in Italy, greece or France, to name a few.

55 F-100
55 F-100 06/13/10 - 09:24 am
Thanks for the "insider"

Thanks for the "insider" information on "but most gay men aren't so hard up" regarding kissing. You may want to freshen up your lip gloss, Sheila................LOL

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 06/13/10 - 09:24 am
This story is a shame on many

This story is a shame on many levels. The homophobic Marines will get what is coming to them, but I was not aware that Georgia was lagging so far behind on creating hate crime laws. If the victim had died from this beating, maybe that would have been the catalyst for change. Sad, but potentially true.

Rainbow: Don't ever assume anyone knows what you mean. You don't exactly form your sentences too well.

korndawg
korndawg 06/13/10 - 09:35 am
Georgia doesn't need a hate

Georgia doesn't need a hate crime law, these men broke a law and should be punished for it. There should not be additional charges just because the victim is part of some ethnic group. As a white male, I can be charged with a hate crime for assaulting pretty much anyone who is not a white male, but if I get attacked, there is no "hate" involved because I am not gay, or african-american, or hispanic, etc. No one deserves to be beaten in the streets over a misunderstanding, regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. Oh, I am also a former Marine, and this type of behavior would not have been tolerated while I was serving and I doubt it will be now. These men will pay in the civilian court and in the military justice system. These men do not represent the type of men and women I served with, and no one should assume that all Marines would beat up a man for "winking" at them. There are losers in each of the armed services, but the military as a whole is an honorable group. Don't let these two losers affect your opinion of the Marine Corps or the Army, Air Force or Navy. Thanks

dashiel
dashiel 06/13/10 - 09:42 am
A wink is as good as a nod to

A wink is as good as a nod to a blind mule. I still remember when men were men and the sheep were nervous.

geordiewhelps
geordiewhelps 06/13/10 - 09:51 am
Dunno if we need to classify

Dunno if we need to classify anything as a "hate crime", but any coward that punches someone "in the back of the head" should be charged with a felony. And I suspect, from what I read in this forum, that the sheep are still very nervous.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/13/10 - 10:31 am
Everything is a hate crime.

Everything is a hate crime. Two marines walking down the street just picked someone out of the crowd and beat the snot out of him. It's pure coincidence that he was gay. Yeah, right. To paraphrase Mwilli, maybe the heterophobes were just pushing the envelope.

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/13/10 - 10:50 am
Hate crimes punish thought,

Hate crimes punish thought, and that is no precedent I want to set.

As a former Marine myself, I am ashamed of these two. I suspect they will be punished accordingly. UCMJ has no room for this embarassing behavior.
They will be making little rocks out of big rocks for a while.

As for being hit on by gay folks, take it as a compliment.

donna658
donna658 06/13/10 - 11:06 am
Doesn't matter if the guy did

Doesn't matter if the guy did wink. I've had plenty of guys grope me or my friends in bars, do I have a right then to beat them unconcious and bruise their brains??? I'd be in prison.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/13/10 - 11:11 am
First, none of us was there,

First, none of us was there, not one. Second, the only witnesses are friends of the person who was hurt so who's side will they make look good? Third, those Marines should have just kept on walking because now THEIR lives are messed up and will always be equated with hating homosexuals whether or not that is the case. By the way, there IS no gay bar @ that spot in Savannah - there IS a rather famous one("Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") several blocks away but there was absolutely no reference to a gay bar in the story. IT does seem a bit far fetched that someone would be "squinting" @ that hour of the morning in the almost dark square. A few years ago there was an adult book store on a nearby corner and a man who had just been a judge @ the Miss Savannah contest met several military men in that bookstore and followed them outside and into what was then a parking garage - he lost his life because of what was said to be sexual advances. Georgia does not need to separate laws and make one group of people more important than another in punishing people who break "hate" laws - in my opinion, some kind of disrespect, dislike, or hate fuels EVERY crime. There are plenty of laws on the books to deal with crimes against others. There is probably more to this story than we know but obviously the police did not believe it rose to the level of being a felony. Those Marines though made themselves look like less that what we expect Marines to be, in several ways. They responded to a stimulus in a negative fashion, hitting from the rear and running away if the story we hear is true. If alcohol can be figured into this story (not stated but consider the time a place, the only places having been recently been opened are bars, bars, and more bars in that area), then whose story is to be believed? The courts will deal with it, the U S Marine Corps will deal with it. Another bit of sadness, that event occurred with one block of a street where a fallen U S Army Ranger's body had traveled just hours before in a hero's farewell. People CAN be whomever they want, wherever they want, but sometimes one's actions bring on unwanted consequences. And some think that aboloshing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is a good thing?

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/13/10 - 11:12 am
aboloshing should of course

aboloshing should of course be abolishing.

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/13/10 - 11:43 am
So, keeping "don't ask, don't

So, keeping "don't ask, don't tell" is for the gay's own good? Sounds like more nanny state gibberish that most conservatives fight against.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/13/10 - 12:14 pm
When they do away with "don't

When they do away with "don't ask, don't tell" I think gay servicemembers would be smart to voluntarily keep the "don't tell" part. Oil and water won't mix I don't care how much you stir it. You can't change the laws of physics and you can't change the laws of nature. You can put that oil and water in a blender and mix at high speed and while it's running it will look like a smooth mixture. But when you turn that blender off they will separate, rapidly and totally. And even if you could keep it mixed, it would not be good for anything. You cannot drink it like water and it would not lubricate you engine like oil. I hope our military can still function when openly mixed.

elaygee
elaygee 06/13/10 - 12:17 pm
Death peanlty is in order for

Death peanlty is in order for the two Marines. Terrorism is against the Military Code of Justice and is punishable by death.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 06/13/10 - 12:44 pm
South Carolina dosnt have a

South Carolina dosnt have a hate crimes law either. Elke Kennedy will be in town Saturday @ the commons to spread her story. http://www.seanslastwish.org/