Savannah cop quits after fight over phone

SAVANNAH -- A Savannah-Chatham police officer was arrested in South Carolina this week after authorities there say she roughed up her 15-year-old daughter during a spat over a cell phone.

Kerrie Ann Hammond, 35,  submitted her two weeks' notice Tuesday, the same day she was charged with misdemeanor assault in Bluffton, S.C., said Gena Moore, metro police spokeswoman.

The alleged assault erupted Tuesday afternoon, after Hammond disconnected her daughter's phone, then confronted the teen about "rebellious" behavior, Bluffton police reported.

"The argument got physical," Bluffton police Chief David McAllister said. "And the child has physical signs of injury."

The youth suffered "bruising and red marks" on her neck and leg, McAllister explained.

According to an incident report, Bluffton police were dispatched to Hammond's home at 10 Long Leaf Court shortly after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Hammond, wearing a metro police uniform, told officers that on her drive home from work she'd canceled the phone "because her daughter had become extremely defiant and disrespectful," according to the police documents.

Once at home, Hammond encountered the teen and the scuffle ensued.

Hammond said she was defending herself from the daughter's "kicking and punching," police reported.

The daughter, meanwhile, said "her mother attacked and choked her," according to the report.

At some point, the two were separated by Hammond's 17-year-old son, who heard commotion and rushed in from another room. He told police the mother "tried to slap his sister's mouth because she would not stop cursing her," police reported.

Bluffton police took Hammond to the Beaufort, S.C., county jail on a charge of simple assault and battery.

She was released Wednesday morning on her own recognizance.
Hammond awaits a hearing on the assault and battery charge at Bluffton Municipal Court within 30 to 45 days, McAllister said.

sdrwtcn
sdrwtcn 06/10/10 - 06:20 am
That is the most stupid thing

That is the most stupid thing for her to lose her job over. I guess kids rule in this world. But she would have to move out of my house.

edwardc
edwardc 06/10/10 - 06:47 am
I've learned that it's best

I've learned that it's best not to judge until you've walked a mile in the other person's shoes because too often you'll find yourself in the same situation and with an entirely different perspective. However, that said, if you raise up a child in the way he/she should go, when he/she is grown, he/she will not depart from it. I wonder if this child was taken to Sunday School and Church (or other religious institution) every Sunday? How a child is raised is everybody's business. When a parent says, "how I raise my child is my business," I say, "then keep your rotten little brat away from me for his or her entire life and don't let him loose in society."

1941
1941 06/10/10 - 06:54 am
And people wonder why kids

And people wonder why kids are killing and stealing, and anything else they want to do!! When the parents try to "raise'' the children, the government steps in and won't let you!!!Every decent law-abiding person has had their butts whipped by the parents, now the parents go to jail for trying to raise them right!!!So sick!!!

55 F-100
55 F-100 06/10/10 - 07:22 am
The disrespectful little brat

The disrespectful little brat should be turned over to "Children Services", or let her go to a youth home for a while and see how she likes that.

hobohobbitt
hobohobbitt 06/10/10 - 07:40 am
That's what is wrong with

That's what is wrong with youth today, big brother govt won't let you disicipline them!!! If she curssed me, she would have more than bruises on her neck!

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 06/10/10 - 08:08 am
These disrespectful little

These disrespectful little brats don't realize (or don't care) what will happen to them if Mama goes to jail, or child services takes them away.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 06/10/10 - 08:23 am
If the woman could have

If the woman could have controlled her temper and disciplined the child with a good old hickory stick ---whooping everything would have been alright. There is no excuse for physically abusing the child, but there is also no excuse for the child behaving in such a belligerrent manner. A little discipline way before now would have went a long way.

Jane18
Jane18 06/10/10 - 08:31 am
Mom spends night in jail!!

Mom spends night in jail!! Someone needs to tell her to have this, this-whatever you want to call her daughter- classified as an unruly child. She needs to stay in YDC for a while, and then a girls' home. I've told you folks before about these times, and families "without natural affection". Can you hear me now?

terrible
terrible 06/10/10 - 09:01 am
I'm sure this was the

I'm sure this was the officer's/mother's decision to quit and work on what is going on in the home. I hope this can be resolved and the relationship between the mother/daughter can be mended. Unfortunately sometimes your children will make you go there.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/10/10 - 09:07 am
This is why our youth act the

This is why our youth act the way they do......I got my behind beat and beat hard when I did wrong and forget about talking back and disrespecting my parents your face would get slapped but I know for certain that I am a better person because of it.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 06/10/10 - 09:28 am
Great, now the ungrateful

Great, now the ungrateful daughter knows that all she has to do is call the cops any time she disagrees with her mother and mom will be hauled off. And now that mom has no job she has no income, what will they do now?

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/10/10 - 09:30 am
I'll put up $20 that the

I'll put up $20 that the daughter has a mugshot and charges within a year. Any takers?

rmajor
rmajor 06/10/10 - 10:06 am
Yes, discipline WAY before

Yes, discipline WAY before this has to happen. Of course, I am certain this isn't the first time this has happened. You know what...this child has no idea. There are some parents who have no love for their children and you ask any child on the street, they wished they had parents who loved them enough to discipline them. Hateful parents allow others to sexually, abuse their children, they don't feed them, cook for them, they leave them, they could care less about how they talk or look or act. Look here, the spankings I got when I was little, would have been filed as child abuse. Are you kidding me? I am SOOO grateful to my mom and dad disciplining me. I am a human being who respects myself, others, society, and I know how to submit to authority (bosses I work for) and have self control, yet I am also a leader. Lord I am so grateful for the discipline I received. This daughter has a lot to learn. Trust me. She will learn it. Cussing at her mother? I would have been waking up in the hospital if I even slammed the door. Kids will always try to push it...even as infants. If you don't get their respect when they are 1, 2, 3 years old, once they turn 6, 7 and beyond...it's over. The daughter is going to have to learn the hard way I believe. I am praying for the entire situation and the mother. Just imagine, trying to contribute your life on a daily basis to society, and then go home trying to manage your life there, and wake up in a jail cell because your child is disrespecting you. That's a mess.

cricketflea
cricketflea 06/10/10 - 10:15 am
I used to tell my son that if

I used to tell my son that if he had the nerve to EVER call DFACS or the cops on me to also ask them to make sure they had a bed for him, because he would never be coming back to my house. He never called them! I disciplined him all his childhood life and he grew into a fine young man who works every day; he does not drink or do drugs and I hope he never will. He is also VERY respectful of everyone--I know this because I have had people I know and people I don't know find me and tell me this!! That's the things that makes raising a child worthwhile!!!

butler123
butler123 06/10/10 - 10:32 am
I hope the Judge throws this

I hope the Judge throws this out and gives the daughter a strict warning about what's going to happen if she calls the cops again for something so silly. This needs to backfire on her. Man I could have went to jail a hundred times when my kids were teenagers I guess. My kids all grew up respectful and hard working.

Labatt
Labatt 06/10/10 - 10:35 am
my folks told me that if I

my folks told me that if I called the cops, to go ahead and call an ambulance too. If they were going to jail, I was going to the ER. Feel bad for this mother. She must have held back a lot of her training if her daughter didn't end up in the hospital.

rmajor
rmajor 06/10/10 - 10:44 am
You know what, although I was

You know what, although I was spanked as a child, it didn't happen often you know why? It didn't have to! I had so much reverance and respect for my parents. Are you kidding me? People think that when you say spank a child you mean abuse...no, no, no. That's insane. However, spanking a child when it's needed is perfectly fine. Not beating a child. Anyway, every spanking I received is so valuable. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the discipline and love of my parents. I am proud of who I am. You have to have both. But man please...cussing at your parents...If I looked at my mom the wrong way....man...get outa here! You just don't go there.....my parents are deceased now. I love them even more when I look at my son. I thank them for my upbringing. It taught me respect...especially for adults. When I was growing up, there was a respect for adults and children didn't behave as adults...they knew they were children. Not in a degrading way, but in an appropriate way. That's why the age difference and experience difference...parents....children...parents...children. Balance...balance..

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/10/10 - 10:58 am
This is an example of why the

This is an example of why the Citizens need to petition our state government to change the way police and the legal system deals with juvenile delinquents. I'm going through this myself with an unruly teen that absolutely refuses to obey what she is told. It's now to the point that the police are being called, but as I have learned, what good is that? They don't do anything about it.

To any politician, judge or law enforcement official reading this, I'll give you some wise words that you should really, really take to heart. If a child will not obey their parents, do you really think that child will grow up to respect and obey the law? You "authority" figures are doing nothing but condoning bad behavior by rebuking the parents for disciplining the child.

In ten or twenty years, when crime has skyrocketed, you can place the blame on the laws and legal system in place now. "Spare the rod, and Spoil the child."

rmajor
rmajor 06/10/10 - 11:19 am
Say it Wildcat682! I

Say it Wildcat682! I sincerely pray that alll works out with your teenager. I really pray for that. You know, we all can help each other with children. That's what it takes really. Instead of judging a parent for this and that...how about try to help? I took this summer off to be with my son, and know some single moms/dads. You know what? I am here, when they have something to do, I say, bring the kids to my house. They can play, eat, whatever. I have a child. It doesn't hurt to cook a meal for them all to enjoy. People need to help each other. If a child isn't communicating with their child well at the time, maybe there is another parent they might listen to a little, better. We have to care about the community as parents, together. When kids become teengagers, it doesn't always gel in the home with the parents. But reach out to your friends who have children or have gone through the transition successfully. I love being at home this summer relaxing and spending time with my son. I enjoy helping other parents if they need time to relax or do something. I also have my relaxing time. If we care enough to share...we can get it done. Sometimes you just have to reach outside of your four walls. Whether the resources are other parents or organizations with parenting systems...get what you need. Pulling up your boot straps and going for it is well and good for a career, but nothing great was ever built by one person alone. It takes a community on every level to build a community. Law enforcement could care less about you or your child. They just want to pacify the situation. Parents, teachers, preachers, and adults who love children in your community are the ones who will make the positive change.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/10/10 - 11:33 am
Rmajor - I'm not originally

Rmajor - I'm not originally from Augusta, Ga, and it may just be from my experiences here; but, I have found that there are many, many, many parents here in Augusta that, quite frankly, should have their children removed from them. They buy their kids cigarettes, they supply their kids with alcohol, they let their kids cuss, and they can't be trusted to let your kids go over to their house.

I was really surprised to find out that basically my whole neighborhood knew about a young man coming over to my house to have sex with my stepdaughter when I was at work; yet, no-one thought to inform me or my wife about this.

If I were still living in my hometown, that would not have happened because the neighbors would have at least mentioned to me if something suspicious were going on.

reality_bites
reality_bites 06/10/10 - 11:46 am
That is truly the problem

That is truly the problem with the kids today. They believe the law is truly on their side. I hear them at the mall cursing at their parents, etc. Back in my time, you could not even say the word "lie." That alone was grounds for getting slapped in the mouth if you called someone a lier. I agree with everyone that said the gov't needs to stay out of families raising their children. Think, if a child will turn on the person that clothes, houses, and feeds them, what will they do out in the public. I'll tell you what they will do, they will be the one robbing the elderly, etc. and then end up in jail for the taxpayers to take care of and support.

rmajor
rmajor 06/10/10 - 12:24 pm
Wildcat682 I am so sorry to

Wildcat682 I am so sorry to hear that. I hear ya. I was talking to some other parents at school during an event, and we were talking about how sometimes we are so disconnected in neighborhoods. Everyone is so concerned about someone being in their business or the other way around. We need each other. You know, back in my day, although kids are always mischievous because they are learning and really don't understand the consequences of their actions sometimes, we wouldn't act up because we knew another adult was watching and would tell our parents. Forget all that isolation and anti-social behavior. People need people and there is no way a child, any child, will be directly or indirectly hurting themselves or others in my presence. I am going to actively find out who their parents are. Call me nosy or whatever. I am also the Secretary of our HOA and I make it a point to know everyone, not because I'm the secretary, but I need to know. Lol! Also, it amazing, when I reach out to people....they reach back:) That's why I say the kids are always at my home. I invite the parents in. My door is never locked. Not saying I am perfect by no means, but isolating yourself and closing your door and not getting to know people who you are neighbors with is psychotic to me. It wasn't like that in my day. During one of our last HOA meetings, one neighbor was upset with another although she didn't know him and his music was loud. She wanted to call the police. I asked her...did you at least try to talk to him? She said no. Turns out, she met him at the meeting. She didn't know him and he didn't know her. He apologized profusely and now it's fine. People have to get to know each other and look out for the well being of our children and our communities. I don't know, maybe email, blogging, and cell phones keep people from being intimate with each other in friendships, but our children and community need us to be involved with each other. Wildcat682 I will sincerely keep you, your wife and your family in prayer. I will remember this conversation. My heart goes out to you.

Labatt
Labatt 06/10/10 - 12:26 pm
Foolishness is bound up in

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/10/10 - 12:41 pm
This girl was probably raised

This girl was probably raised in daycare because her mother had to work to support them. Minimum wage workers whose attachment and commitment to this kid was worth less than $10 an hour, to say nothing of their sophistication and ability. No surprise that she didn't learn respect or self-control, to say nothing of how to be a decent person.

And now, she needs to find a new home because she was too stupid to realize what she actually had.

ennui
ennui 06/10/10 - 01:10 pm
Sheesh, the mom apparently

Sheesh, the mom apparently wasn't much older than the daughter when she started having babies, and I don't see any mention of the father in the article. Where is he when the kids need discipline?

Too many parents are trying to raise their kids by being their 'friend', and when it's time to lay down the law and act like a parent they get the same treatment this woman got.... disrespect, disobedience and physical resistance. On top of that, the kiddies know that they can call the law on Mom or Dad, they just don't have enough sense to realize what's going to happen after the law gets involved.

charliemanson
charliemanson 06/10/10 - 06:23 pm
Feel sorry for the mom. No

Feel sorry for the mom. No job = no income = no way to support yourself. A (possible) criminal record = never finding decent employment, again. Being a cop in jail with criminals = humiliation and embarrassment. And to top it off, the mom probably isn't going to blame her daughter but is going to blame herself for what has happened. Hope the mom and daughter, both, get some counseling.

reader54
reader54 06/10/10 - 07:07 pm
You know, I don't really

You know, I don't really believe in spanking kids b/c I believe that violence breeds violence. However, I told my 13 yr. old son that I was ready to make an exception for him! He doesn't live with me and isn't close enough to be around often and I'm AFRAID to spank him b/c of the laws! His mom would use that to call the law and I would be the bad guy. How can you use corporal punishment w/o leaving marks? Is there anything that gov't doesn't intrude in these days?

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/10 - 06:37 am
Put that kid out of the

Put that kid out of the house. Let her find someone else to buy her a cell phone and that will put up with her foolishness. She'll learn.

I speak from experience- I sent my then 17-year-old to live with his father because of his behavior. He quickly found out that he had been living in Paradise, and he didn't realize it. He came back, sadder but wiser.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.