2-year-old boy struck by car dies

A 2-year-old boy hit by a car Sunday night died Tuesday, Rich­mond County Coroner Grover Tuten confirmed.

The boy was hit in front of his home in the 2400 block of Boykin Road about 9 p.m. by a woman driving to Hephzibah, officials say.

Tuten said the child had been in the intensive care unit at Medical College of Georgia Hospital. He died of blunt force trauma and injuries to the brain stem.

When the driver, Tuowanda Staten, 32, got out to check on the child Sunday,  she was attacked by family members, according to investigators.

The boy's father, James Wright, was previously named as an attacker, but sheriff's Sgt. Blaise Dresser said Tuesday that no warrants have been issued for Wright's arrest.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/09/10 - 07:27 am
I wasn't trying to me mean or

I wasn't trying to me mean or disrespectful of this families loss with my post but there is no way a car could see a child that small if they were in the street. I do pray for the families loss. and I also pray for the woman in the car, she has to be devastated, I know I would be, even it it wasn't my fault.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 07:48 am
Agreed Stillamazed

Agreed Stillamazed

30cal
30cal 06/09/10 - 07:50 am
Iam sure all involved really

Iam sure all involved really regret this whole thing. NO one can even begin to know the sorrow involved all around. As for the father I can find noreason to charge him,who can say they would have done differant,not being there and all.

mllange
mllange 06/09/10 - 08:27 am
30cal, i can say i would have

30cal, i can say i would have done different. Please explain to Ms. staten and her 4 children who had to watch their mother being beaten, why you feel there is no need to charge him. Yes..he should be charged and why he hasn't yet is beyond me.

On another note. I do pray for the families involved. This is a horrible tragedy that will affect everyone's lives forever.

ajk1
ajk1 06/09/10 - 10:00 am
I have only one question.

I have only one question. What was a two year old boy doing up at 9 p.m.? A normal bedtime would have been 7 P.M.

butler123
butler123 06/09/10 - 10:09 am
My 2 year grandson goes to

My 2 year grandson goes to bed between 9pm and 10pm. This honestly is so I can sleep later because I usually stay up to get my alone time. But he isn't outside playing near a busy street.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/09/10 - 10:55 am
My prayers go out to the

My prayers go out to the family. It is tragic.

bebydol1
bebydol1 06/09/10 - 11:02 am
To all of you judges out

To all of you judges out there don't judge unless you have the entire story. First of all the baby was up because his father was picking his children up from their grandmothers house, that's why the baby wasn't in bed. Their mother was still at work. Secondly the child was not in the street he was playing in the yard with his uncle who is around 12 and was almost struck by the car when Ms. Tuten ran her car up onto the curb of the grandmothers yard and if I saw someone come up on the curb and hit my child I would be angry also. This had nothing to do with the father being irresponsible it was a tragic accident. Don't you people think that if that father had a choice he would want his son alive and well and with that being said he would have done anything in his power to protect him. Im sure one of you perfect people attacking the father has had an occasion where you have been outside at 9pm or after with your child and I hope someone didn't judge you as a bad parent for it. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for all the ugly post!! Shame on you, this child is dead, SHAME ON YOU ALL!!

butler123
butler123 06/09/10 - 11:28 am
Odd the first thing I saw or

Odd the first thing I saw or read said that the child was hit by a car because he was chasing a ball into the street. This may not be accurate, but bebydol you might be judging to harshly yourself if everyone else on here heard it that way.

butler123
butler123 06/09/10 - 11:32 am
So maybe what the news I saw

So maybe what the news I saw last night was accurate. It said the driver saw a shadow that made her swerve and she hit the child, but it didn't say anything about her driving up onto a curb or into someones yard. It also said she wasn't being charged with anything. Why isn't she if she drove into the yard and hit him? At least reckless driving.

mllange
mllange 06/09/10 - 12:08 pm
bebydol, please explain how

bebydol, please explain how attacking and beating a woman in front of her children is protection your own child? Since I wasn't there, I can only go by what is reported. And according to this news article, this child was in the road and Ms. Tuten is not at fault. And everyone on here has expressed their sincere condolences for the loss of this precious child. But the fact remains, this man beat a woman in front of her children. He should be charged. Now judge that!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/09/10 - 01:37 pm
Rest in Peace. This is so

Rest in Peace. This is so sad and so needless.

Brad

bebydol1
bebydol1 06/09/10 - 04:35 pm
To mllange first of all I

To mllange first of all I never condoned anyone beating anyone I simply stated that I can understand his actions. Until you are in that situation you can't say what you would have done and I pray you never are. Everyone wanting this man put in jail because of his actions are judging harshly. When you stand there and watch someone run your child over than tell me what you would or would not do! Secondly he never fled the scene he was there until his child was taken away in the ambulance and he went with his child. This was an unfortunate accident and no one should be punished for their actions because everyone has already been punished a father and mother lost their child and a woman has to live for the rest of her life knowing they lost him at her hands. Again all you people out for blood I hope you never have to find yourself in this situation and if so you better hope someone has some sympathy for your behind. Just as the father has to live with his actionas, Ms. Tuowanda you have to live with knowing yourself what happened in the incident. And to all you judges out there too bad that you are so out for blood that you can't see that you are no better than how you seeing the father in this case. Rest in peace James Wright IV!!

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/09/10 - 05:01 pm
Just lay off. This is a

Just lay off. This is a devastating tragedy, period. Let them grieve without all the unsolicited opinions of people who have no right to one.

Just be grateful it didn't happen in your family, and lay off.

dougk
dougk 06/09/10 - 05:06 pm
Thank you, Katie Lou.....my

Thank you, Katie Lou.....my thoughts, exactly, as I read thru these comments full of rubbish. This is something that the driver and her family and the family of this precious child will never forget. The pain must be enormous for all.

ennui
ennui 06/09/10 - 05:07 pm
Uh, KatieLou, not your call

Uh, KatieLou, not your call who gets to say what here, and not your place to issue directives either. This is a public forum.

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/09/10 - 05:10 pm
Uh, boredom: it is my call

Uh, boredom: it is my call and my place, and if you had the decency one would expect of a civilized Southerner, it would be the same call you would make as well.

Just because you "can" doesn't mean you should or that you aren't doing something completely vile to people in pain. That kind of callousness deserves condemnation and shame.

dougk
dougk 06/09/10 - 05:16 pm
WHoops, Katie

WHoops, Katie Lou....civilized southerner is an oxymoron.

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/09/10 - 05:20 pm
Great, Doug. Right on topic

Great, Doug. Right on topic there, and so helpful. Really.

ennui
ennui 06/09/10 - 05:22 pm
KatieLou, nope... still not

KatieLou, nope... still not your call.

ennui
ennui 06/09/10 - 05:26 pm
The whole situation is

The whole situation is tragic. The driver and her children have certainly been traumatized, and I feel terrible for the mother of that baby.
That being said, there is still no excuse for anyone to lay their hands on the driver.

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/09/10 - 05:27 pm
If any of you are family

If any of you are family members or who are personally affected by this tragedy and have made the mistake of reading these awful comments, I offer my deepest condolences and my sincerest apology for those making such heartless and arrogant comments. Please forgive them because, clearly, they don't know what they are doing.

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/09/10 - 05:33 pm
Boredom: You're just wrong.

Boredom: You're just wrong. It is my call any time I see a need for addressing the rotten behavior of one person toward another. How is it you think you are the one to censor me? You may disagree with my assessment and even resent my chastisement and exhortation, but that's the extent of your influence. Deal with it.

I've made my point and you are welcome to have the last word. Ta.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/10 - 07:37 pm
Condolences to the family.

Condolences to the family.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/10 - 07:48 pm
The father gave an apology

The father gave an apology and charges are pending according to another news source a couple hours ago.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/10 - 07:47 pm

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/09/10 - 07:55 pm
this is to sad. i feel so

this is to sad. i feel so sorry for the family and for that woman that hit him. for the daddy to get on tv and apoligize to that woman was great. he was only acting out in anger. anyone of us might have done the same thing. God bless you all

rmajor
rmajor 06/09/10 - 10:30 pm
This is a situation I pray

This is a situation I pray that I am never in and my heart is just torn up for all involved. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to decide how I would react. This is just horrible. I pray for them all. I just pray for them. I don't know what to say. Bless the poor baby. He is with God now. My heart is just heavy to hear this. God please be with everyone involved and may this child's beautiful, little presence on this earth, although short, give us all reminders of how fragile life is and how blessed we are to even be here right now making a comment. Bless the families and all of our hearts. In Jesus name, Amen.

teflon
teflon 06/10/10 - 08:53 am
Accidents happen and this

Accidents happen and this incident should not give the boy's father,James Wright, who is a nefarious and cowardly human being for launching an attack on a woman who struck and killed a 2 year boy with her car.Richmond County Sheriff's office need to act and arrest the father.

Tots
Tots 06/10/10 - 10:41 am
Condolences to the family.But

Condolences to the family.But the father,freinds and family who beat that woman need to go to jail....

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.