GBI investigating Tybee Taser incident

Agents from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation have begun an inquiry into the recent Tasing of an autistic teenager by police on Tybee Island.

Micah Ward, the GBI special agent in charge in Statesboro, said Thursday that the state investigators had been summoned by Tybee Police Chief James Price.

"The scope of our investigation is simply to look into whether or not there were any illegal acts committed on the part of the police officers," Ward said. "Once we've finished, we'll put together a case file and provide it to the district attorney."

On Friday night, Clifford Grevemberg, 18, was wrestled to the ground and Tased by Tybee officers Timothy Sullivan and Travis Daniel, who suspected the teen was intoxicated, according to incident reports.

Grevemberg, who had been sitting on a curb outside the Rock House bar, suffered a broken front tooth and scrapes on his face and knee. He was released that night on a disorderly conduct charge.

Grevemberg, who also suffers from a heart condition, has never consumed alcohol, family members said.

On Thursday, Price said the GBI had been requested to "perform a thorough and objective investigation into the incident, using whatever means are available or discoverable."

Price added: "The investigation was begun today, May 27, with interviews of the two officers directly involved, a review of the reports filed on the incident and a review of the department's Use of Force Policy with an emphasis on our Taser policy."

Dario Mariani, Grevemberg's brother, welcomed news of the external probe.

"I think it's good - they need to be investigated," he said. "I'm sure that (police) are doing that to cover their own tail, but regardless it needs to happen. They need to get to the root of the problem and eliminate the problem."

Ward said agents would interview everyone involved in the incident, including witnesses.

"We're going to be very methodical and make sure we cover every aspect," Ward said. "We're not going to get in a hurry."

corgimom
corgimom 05/29/10 - 05:58 pm
Get to the root of the

Get to the root of the problem? As in, "the problem is that the Tybee Island police are not psychic"?

How about the root of the problem was the brother, who left his autistic brother alone to get hamburgers, which hardly constitutes an emergency?

55 F-100
55 F-100 05/30/10 - 12:37 pm
This investigation will

This investigation will exonerate the two Tybee officers of any wrongdoing on their part and close the door on any civil action directed towards them personally, or towards Tybee P.D. The previous two posters are absolutely correct in their assessments. Don't waste too much time on this G.B.I., because there are too many real crimes which need your attention.

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 05/30/10 - 04:28 pm
The Tybee police are

The Tybee police are completely out of control jack-booted thugs. This is no surprise, as they like to drag people out of their homes and throw them in jail for things like loud music during the day, or having a dog on the beach. I know a lot of people who will never return, including me. And sadly, I own part of a very nice house down there!

55 F-100
55 F-100 05/30/10 - 07:47 pm
The previous post could be

The previous post could be substantiated with specific cites. Absent those specific cites other than"loud music during the day", or "having a hot dog on the beach"...................are you kidding me? The police officers are doing their job, and maybe you should sell your "part of a very nice house down there" and move on.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 09:49 am

WW1949
WW1949 05/31/10 - 10:38 am
If you cannot tell that

If you cannot tell that someone is not normal then you are not very observant.

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 05/31/10 - 11:20 am
My place is already for sale.

My place is already for sale. It was not a "hot dog". It was a Golden Retriever on a deserted beach in February. (Dogs are completely prohibited by the cheap yankee jerks living down there). Here is another instance; two motorcycles park in one spot, the cops issue a ticket because they did not buy two parking tickets. It is insane down there and people in Savannah prefer to go to Hilton Head because these cops are drunk on authority and in the business of shaking down tourists.

gacue24
gacue24 06/01/10 - 08:01 am
Doing their jobs my butt,

Doing their jobs my butt, there was no need to get violent with him. They should have realized that he wasn't drunk, it's obvious they didn't care. Probably never got the chance to use their taser and wanted to see what it does.

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 06/01/10 - 09:32 pm
gacue24, "probably never got

gacue24, "probably never got a chance to use their taser and wanted to see what it does" is hitting the nail on the head! I myself would be tempted. It is strange the AC has not published this story on print, to my knowledge. Well, I hope the GBI is taking note.

SexyTaz1998
SexyTaz1998 08/09/10 - 09:54 am
How do I get the GBI involved

How do I get the GBI involved in an arrest that has something to do a family member that was arrested to cover up an investigator and a drug dealer in Thomson Georgia? I have tried everything that I know how to try. Can someone please help?

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.