Man goes to jail for not telling name

NORTH AUGUSTA -- A man walking on the shoulder of Interstate 20 Sunday morning told police he answered to "no man," a report shows.

North August Public Safety Officers went to mile marker No. 1 around 9:30 a.m. to assist Aiken County deputies with the pedestrian.

The man told police he was walking to Richmond, Va., but would only identify himself as "I am" and "I is," a report states.

A bus ticket in the man's pocket identified him as 20-year-old Tremain Johnson, a fact Johnson confirmed on the way to jail, according to a report.

He was charged with failure to obey a lawful order.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/26/10 - 07:59 am
I like this cranky dude!

I like this cranky dude!

WW1949
WW1949 05/26/10 - 08:03 am
If I am walking on the side

If I am walking on the side of the road it is none of North Augusta's business who I am if I am doing no wrong or not a suspect in anything.
But there are signs on the Interstate that say no non motorized vehicles or pedistrians allowed. It is then their business to get the man off the Interstate for safety. That was a stupid or mentally challenged person.

corgimom
corgimom 05/26/10 - 08:05 am
He's not in jail anymore, my

He's not in jail anymore, my guess is that they took him to the Aiken Cty/Lexington Cty line so that he could be somebody else's mental health problem.

corgimom
corgimom 05/26/10 - 08:07 am
WW, it is the law that you

WW, it is the law that you give your legal name to a police officer when asked and that you produce identification.

There is no doubt in my mind that they told him during the ride, "Hey, we'll book you under John Doe, there are thousands of warrants for John Doe, you'll never get out"

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/26/10 - 08:13 am
What if he had said he didn't

What if he had said he didn't want to answer any questions without a lawyer present?

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/26/10 - 08:38 am
"I yam what I yam, and that's

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." -- Popeye.

lsmith
lsmith 05/26/10 - 08:51 am
Well I guess his trip to

Well I guess his trip to Virginia was waylayed a bit. I think he might be one brick short of a load, one bulb out on the tree. Perhaps he may not have been able to read those road signs saying no pedestrian traffic, but I prefer to think he was just stubbornly stupid.
Carted his righteously indignant self on to the hoosgow.....properly I might add. Then again, maybe he was homeless and just needed a place to crash, clean up and free meal, in which case it was a stroke of genius.

peonynut
peonynut 05/26/10 - 09:01 am
It is against the law to walk

It is against the law to walk on the interstate or ride a non-motorized vehicle on the interstate or shoulder of the road.

gunnerhall123
gunnerhall123 05/26/10 - 09:49 am
Isn't this the opening scene

Isn't this the opening scene to Rambo First Blood?

Waymore
Waymore 05/26/10 - 10:27 am
Riverman, Miranda doesn't

Riverman, Miranda doesn't apply to identifying oneself. But, I think you probably know that.

justus4
justus4 05/26/10 - 01:00 pm
See... this story

See... this story demonstrates the hazards particular citizens endure in this so-called "free country." This is a shameful example of over- policing especial when it comes to U know who. Yea, yea, we know the line about "possibly criminal" but where is this guy's constitutional rights? This is illegal detainment and no different than being arrested in ones own home. Great country, eh?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/26/10 - 01:10 pm
Well, maybe the guy got a hot

Well, maybe the guy got a hot meal out of the ordeal, courtesy of the North Augusta taxpayers.

Nightwing
Nightwing 05/26/10 - 01:41 pm
Why does a story like this

Why does a story like this make the news? Is the AC so hard up for news stories that this type has to occupy space?

1CowboyFan
1CowboyFan 05/27/10 - 02:50 am
That's my story .. I'm

That's my story .. I'm sticking to it.