Firefighting efforts continue at recycling business

RECYCLING CENTER IGNITES

A warehouse crammed with bales of cardboard and recycled paper caught fire Wednesday afternoon, sending a black plume of smoke high into the sky over downtown Augusta.

Back | Next
A blaze rages at Smurfit-Stone Recycling in the 1300 block of Walker Street near Calhoun Expressway in downtown Augusta.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

An internal smoke alarm and a call for help sent fire engines rushing to Smurfit-Stone Recycling in the 1300 block of Walker Street at about 1:30 p.m.

Arriving firefighters found the structure engulfed in flames and attacked the blaze from ladder trucks positioned at three corners of the warehouse, said Battalion Chief John Clark.

Smoke still drifted toward the nearby Calhoun Expressway two hours later as firefighters continued to soak the smoldering ruins.

No injuries were reported.

The source of the fire remains under investigation, but it's not thought to be intentional, Clark said.

According to its Web site, Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation is a leading manufacturer of paperboard and paper-based packaging, and is a global leader in the collection of recycled paper, a key raw material for its products.

A small crew monitored the warehouse overnight to guard against flare-ups. The roof will be lifted off the warehouse today so that the fire can be completely extinguished, Clark said.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/26/10 - 01:58 pm
I saw it. It was a BIG

I saw it. It was a BIG smurfing fire! I wonder where we'll have to go to recycle our smurfs now?

onecatfish
onecatfish 05/26/10 - 03:09 pm
I guess we can now drop all

I guess we can now drop all our smurfs in your yard, if that is ok with you.

oneeyeout
oneeyeout 05/26/10 - 03:27 pm
Where can I take my copper?

Where can I take my copper?

Hoser
Hoser 05/26/10 - 03:32 pm
Rollingeyes and

Rollingeyes and Onecatfish.....

Not funny!

OICU812
OICU812 05/26/10 - 04:47 pm
Another insurance claim??

Another insurance claim??

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/26/10 - 04:55 pm
The rest of the fire brigade

The rest of the fire brigade better smurf themselves over there and smurf the thing out.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/26/10 - 05:22 pm
Onecatfish, I think that

Onecatfish, I think that Hoser wanted the smurfs.......... ;-)

Hoser
Hoser 05/26/10 - 05:34 pm
Rolling Eyes, you are not

Rolling Eyes, you are not funny at all. I was at the scene and saw the employees faces as their jobs went up in flames. If you got the guts to talk like you do on here, let's see you do it face to face to those who are out of work now. Really classy on your part.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/26/10 - 06:00 pm
Sooooooo, you're saying that

Sooooooo, you're saying that you DON'T want the smurfs?

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/26/10 - 06:19 pm
The building didn't look

The building didn't look totaled. If its decided that the fire was not intentional and there is fire insurance the place will be up and going soon and better than ever. In the meantime the employees can file for unemployment. I'll rend my garments, sit in ashes and cry for them if this turns out not to be the case. Until then.......

Frank I
Frank I 05/26/10 - 07:58 pm
terrible how one can take

terrible how one can take pleasure in another's misfortune..

Miss Hap
Miss Hap 05/26/10 - 08:27 pm
I'm glad that nobody was hurt

I'm glad that nobody was hurt and hope that the owners were responsible enough to have insurance, but get real people, nobody has made comments about being pleased with others misfortune and to imply so is really weak.

Do you people who are uptight about the joking on here spend everyday doing defensive fighting for all the articles the have tragedies in them or just the few that you deem personal?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 08:52 am

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 05/27/10 - 01:52 am
Hoser, reality isn't a bad

Hoser, reality isn't a bad place to visit. Try it some time.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/27/10 - 07:23 am
Smurffit Stone is a good

Smurffit Stone is a good company- I've dealt with them in the past and wouldn't believe something like this was intentional.

belle
belle 05/27/10 - 07:32 am
rollingeyes, thanks for

rollingeyes, thanks for morning smile.

Hoser
Hoser 05/27/10 - 07:34 pm
johnson.cliff.... Please

johnson.cliff....

Please explain. And yes, I know what reality is thank you very much.

Back to story
Back to story 05/28/10 - 08:25 am
This wasn't a house fire so

This wasn't a house fire so nobody lost a home. Nobody was killed let alone hurt. The fire isn't expected to be an arson case so filing the insurance claims should be no problem. The warehouse is rather small and so it shouldn't take much time to make repairs. The employees should have already been down to the unemployment office to file for their benefits. No doubt that this fire is very inconvenient to many people and is causing stress but as far as a dramatic disaster goes this one rates about a 3 on the scale of 1-10. To put things into perspective read about the beautiful young lady who graduated last week with a bright future and just died in a firey wreck. She and her family deserve the emotional recognition that has been spent on here.

afadel
afadel 06/07/10 - 04:42 pm

pictures I'd taken that day from off John C Calhoun Expressway, eastbound

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...