Update: Carjacking linked to ATM incident

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:07 AM
Last updated 3:10 PM

Police said this morning that thieves used a vehicle stolen in a carjacking Monday to try to run over an automated teller machine and steal the cash inside.

Deputies are searching for three people who carjacked and robbed a woman who was dropping off her boyfriend at Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co. in the 500 block of Bobby Jones Expressway.

One pointed an assault rifle toward the couple and demanded money. The two then forced the victims out of their vehicle, a burgundy 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, and drove away with more than $100 cash and a cell phone.

A third person left the scene following the two other robbers traveling east on Bobby Jones Expressway.

A short time later, police said the stolen car was used to ram into an ATM at Regions Bank at 1219 Augusta West Parkway. Video of the incident shows the thief hitting it with the car then trying to pry the machine open, a Richmond County Sheriff's report said.

"Within an hour that's when they tried to use the car to knock over the ATM machine," said Sheriff's Sgt. Robbie Silas.

steelermoose1
steelermoose1 05/25/10 - 07:05 am
I sure am glad to see the

I sure am glad to see the chronicle is on top of things....seeing as how this occurred Sunday night, actually Monday morning. The car has been recovered...no suspects

beboisme
beboisme 05/25/10 - 07:36 am
Excellent reporting

Excellent reporting steelermoose1. I'll be following you for further news. I appreciate having a follow-up . Thank,b

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/25/10 - 07:51 am
I've drawn the conclusion

I've drawn the conclusion that each Monday's Chronicle is actually put together on Friday during the early evening (just after they put the Sunday edition to bed). You have to wait until Tuesday's paper to get any news.

beboisme
beboisme 05/25/10 - 08:21 am
Little Lamb have ever noticed

Little Lamb have ever noticed how th evening news is just as incomplete as AC?

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 05/25/10 - 09:05 am
It is very disappointing that

grinder48
grinder48 05/25/10 - 09:15 am
AC, need to do a better job

AC, need to do a better job reporting crimes ...

grinder48
grinder48 05/25/10 - 09:19 am
Say it every time I read one

Say it every time I read one of these ... if people weren't out at 2:30 AM ... it's amazing how often these articles are about crime happening to people being out at ridiculous hours. I know some people have to work etc but, generally speaking - go home! (Did the victim work @ Pepsi? Why were they there @ 2:30 AM?)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/10 - 09:28 am
grinder....Do you think

grinder....Do you think people should stay inside their homes 24 hours a day....many jobs have shift work...24 hours a day.....I worked hours like 8-2am with phone company...I was out at 2am in the morning driving home...let's put the blame on the crooks..not folks MINDING THEIR OWN BUSINESS. imho

rmajor
rmajor 05/25/10 - 09:44 am
That's disturbing...I always

That's disturbing...I always drive down North Leg...disturbing. They had to really be on something though...who would even think you can open an atm by driving a car over it? Whatha? I am thankful the couple wasn't hurt though. That's good news.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/25/10 - 09:59 am
The thieves should have taken

The thieves should have taken notes from the successful atm robbery last year. These thieves stole a pickup truck and hot wired a forklift across the street from the bank. The forklift raised the machine out of its secure base (the money is stored below underneath the machine) and set it onto the truck. Some days later the cracked and empty machine was found. I think that the thieves are still at large.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 05/25/10 - 10:48 am
grinder48 I am assuming if

grinder48 I am assuming if the person was being dropped off in front of the pepsi plant they were going to work. My concern is that my wife that works a stones throw away has to be at work sometimes at 4 or 5 AM and they need to park in another parking lot. That is away from the store, until the old parking lot is done

veggie-d
veggie-d 05/25/10 - 10:54 am
"ATM Machine" = "automatic

"ATM Machine" = "automatic teller machine machine"...i guess poor writing/grammar is acceptable in the "c.s.r.a. area"!

grinder48
grinder48 05/25/10 - 11:36 am
seenitB4, can you not read? I

seenitB4, can you not read? I clearly stated, "I know some people have to work etc but, generally speaking ..."

grinder48
grinder48 05/25/10 - 11:41 am
storiesihavread - one could

storiesihavread - one could assume that but since the halfbaked "writer/reporter" didn't state that was the case, how's the reader to know? Accurate reporting requires such detail. I'm often frustrated with the inept writing of AC persons and the reporter of this article is often the reason ...

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/10 - 11:52 am
Yes grinder I can read....I'm

Yes grinder I can read....I'm just tired of hearing "Why can't people just stay at home & be safe"...Why should any innocent person change their life style because of idiots?? Why can't we just get rid of the crooks is the question..we let the evil doers take over our freedoms day after day. If I want to go for breakfast at 2am in the morning, why shouldn't I?? We could stay out of Times Square because we know it will more than likely get hit again...The crooks will run the world soon if we all stay home.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/10 - 11:57 am
Ok let's put it this

Ok let's put it this way...What if all the "good" people started going out MORE & putting the pressure on the crooks??? Have gun will travel so to speak...what if we took over our world again..the next time a car jacker came to a car he could face a 38 cocked & ready. I'm not kidding...I'm sick to death of SO MUCH CRIME!

RAWR
RAWR 05/25/10 - 12:43 pm
I guess I will not be going

I guess I will not be going to that ATM anytime soon.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/25/10 - 12:47 pm
Richmnd Cty VotrTuesday, May

Richmnd Cty VotrTuesday, May 25 9:05 AMnew Report It is very disappointing that little or no news that is happening around the Augusta area is not being printed in the paper. There are home invasions nearly every single nite, the police scanner does not stop in the evening, yet, very little of the crime in our area makes it in the paper or TV News casts. They keep the Citizens of Augusta in the DARK!
-------------------------
countyman?
buehler?
buehler?

Adam Folk
Adam Folk 05/25/10 - 03:17 pm
In the rush to get these

In the rush to get these things online in the morning, certain details are often left out. In response to StoriesIhaveread's post, the sheriff's report states that the female victim was dropping her boyfriend off for work.

Veggie-D: poor grammar is not accepted here but it does slip through. Our online posts usually only go through a few sets of eyes before they are posted. The newspaper itself is scrutinized much more heavily. I checked Associated Press style and it should be ATM with "automated teller machine" used somewhere in the body of the text. We've made the appropriate changes. Thanks for reading (and spell checking).

disssman
disssman 05/25/10 - 04:55 pm
I have said it before, just

I have said it before, just look at the "top headlines". Most of them are picked up off the internet and very few are local. I am convinced that no "reporters are allowed out of the AC building to do storys. Heck the Spirit does a better job of reporting local news. As to not reporting what is going on downtown, well when you have a financial stake in an area, it only makes sense to paint the area as pretty as could be. That is how you keep the other "stake holders" happy.