Atlanta man dies in I-20 accident this morning

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:52 AM
Last updated 9:54 PM

An Atlanta man was killed this morning when he was ejected from his vehicle in a wreck on Interstate 20 near Wheeler Road, according to the Richmond County coroner's office.

Rodney Eugene Conley, 39, was pronounced dead at 5:32 a.m. at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, said Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald.

Conley, of 2600 Blk. Hood Ave. N.W in Atlanta, apparently lost control of his vehicle just before the Wheeler Road exit on I-20, McDonald said.

A 1999 Chevrolet Silverado struck his 1993 Lexus after he lost control and came to a rest in the center lane, causing him to be ejected, according to a news release from the coroner's office.

"He hit the guard rail on the right side of the road," McDonald said. "I don't know how he lost control of his vehicle."

Witnesses said Conley was traveling at a "high rate of speed" eastbound on the highway, according to the news release.

The driver of the Silverado also was sent to MCG Hospital with non-critical injuries.

Conley's body will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigations crime lab in Atlanta on Tuesday for an autopsy, McDonald said.

The accident temporarily shut down at least two lanes on the highway temporarily, though traffic was back to normal patterns by 9 a.m., according to Richmond County dispatch.

disssman
disssman 05/17/10 - 09:22 am
If I had to guess I would say

If I had to guess I would say he was probably trying to pass on the right side and the other vehicle decided to switch lanes at the same time, happens all the time. Why do people in Georgia insist on driving in the left lane and are so stupid as to not know how dangerous it is to pass on the right?

csrareader
csrareader 05/17/10 - 10:04 am
Good job dissman... Now we

Good job dissman... Now we can tell law enforcement authorities to shut down their investigation because you have it all solved. I'm especially impressed that you were able to reconstruct an accident that occurred while you were most likely home asleep. We sure waste a great deal of money paying law enforcement personnel to conduct those silly investigations.

gnatman1102
gnatman1102 05/17/10 - 10:33 am
Disssman, Did you actually

Disssman, Did you actually witness this sad accident? While I agree passing on the right is dangerous, and illegal in many countries and a few states , the real cause will likely not be known other than the other driver's account of the accident. We know speed was a factor. Too many people drive way above their abilities, and bad things happen if a tire fails, the driver falls asleep or not attentive, or driving impaired. Sad outcome no matter how it happened.

pommom38
pommom38 05/17/10 - 10:37 am
There was the other driver as

There was the other driver as a witness, as well as the passenger in the Lexus. So sorry diss, your passing theory is way off. He was afraid the place he was going to wasn't going to be there when he got there. So alas, let's speed like a maniac and rush to our grave!
But your guess was so good, you clearly must be one who does exactly what you said. Don't worry, am sure there are plenty of funeral homes looking for business.
My heart and prayers go out to mr conley's family.

disssman
disssman 05/17/10 - 10:59 am
Pommon I didn't read about a

Pommon I didn't read about a witness in the lexus. But to answer your question I do not ride the left lane. That is against the law in the state of Georgia BTW. My whole point in my posting was that the majority of Georgia drivers hug the left lanes with no thought as to the danger involved. And for everyones information, I would never wish death on anyone who made a bad decision and my prayers are with the victims family and the other person involved in the accident.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/17/10 - 11:04 am
Not defending, but I believe

Not defending, but I believe dissman said "if I had to guess" which means he's only spectulating like so many of us do on here. I will have to say though, most people on I-20 drive like there is no tomorrow. Took a trip a few weekends ago and several people passed me doing at least 85.

pommom38
pommom38 05/17/10 - 11:09 am
That would be because the AC

That would be because the AC didn't post everything. That, or the other news source is wrong.
I go the speed limit, ok, sometimes lil over. And I ride in the left lane sometimes just to tick off the speeders! If you are going the speed limit, no it is not illegal to ride the left lane. SLOWER traffic stay right.

augustakid
augustakid 05/17/10 - 11:22 am
pommom38, you are wrong about

pommom38, you are wrong about the law. It does not say 'If you are not going the speed limit, stay right'. It says 'SLOWER trafic stay right. Even if you are going the speed limit, if you are slower traffic..... MOVE OVER!

Waymore
Waymore 05/17/10 - 11:46 am
dissman, could you quote the

dissman, could you quote the law that says it's illegal to drive in the left lane?

pommom, if you drive in the fast lane just to "tick off speeders", then you are in violation of the law and a danger to every other motorist on the roadway.

Dan White 05/17/10 - 11:58 am
Could it be that Conley was

Could it be that Conley was texting while driving?

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/17/10 - 12:15 pm
We need to ban driving on I20

We need to ban driving on I20 immediately. People are killed there all the time! Let's make more laws to save these lives! Lets set a lower speed limit so that it can be broken as well!

God save America
God save America 05/17/10 - 12:17 pm
about the wreck on i-20 and

about the wreck on i-20 and also bobby jones exp. if everybody would slow down to the speed limit in this area maybe accidents wouldn't happen. i didn't know if you are doing the speed limit you can't ride in the left lane so somebody can go 100 miles an hour . if people would stop weaving in and out of traffic wrecks might slow down. the reason for speed limits is to stop people from going high rates of speed.

KatieLou
KatieLou 05/17/10 - 12:28 pm
I-20 from Thompson to the

I-20 from Thompson to the GA-SC line and beyond is insane. There are so many awful drivers who refuse to let faster traffic get past them that it's surprising there aren't fatal accidents between here and Thompson every week.

When drivers' ed was in public schools, new drivers were taught to keep right except to pass, for safety and to keep traffic flowing. Now there are huge numbers of drivers who just prefer driving in the left lane and flapping their jaws into their cells as if they were in their own driveways. To heck with everybody else.

If there is some jerk going the speed limit in the left lane and the rest of the traffic is doing 75 or 80, passing on the right is the only option for getting around them.

And then there are the real princes among drivers who go just under the speed limit-- SIDE BY SIDE, blocking all traffic behind them...for miles and miles and miles. It's hard to believe anyone could be so oblivious or so arrogant, and it's really hard to resist wishing bad things for them.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/17/10 - 12:24 pm
I like to get in front of the

I like to get in front of the left lane drivers, clearing them by inches, and then slow down to about 50. After all if I'm not speeding I can stay there right? Sometimes they get the message.

KatieLou
KatieLou 05/17/10 - 12:32 pm
It's hard to believe people

It's hard to believe people like AndyWarhol and Pommom really exist. How can you be so arrogant and self-righteous that you would deliberately put other people's lives in danger, just to tick someone off? That you think you have a RIGHT to do that? What kind of pathology do you have that would make you that evil and such a controlling, antisocial worm toward another human being?

I feel sorry for the people who share the road with you and I sincerely hope I never meet you myself. You just cannot imagine what would happen if you cost a member of my family their life because you decided you didn't like how someone else on the road was driving.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/17/10 - 12:32 pm
Why do so many people that

Why do so many people that claim to be Christian feel like they should also be wrong and be part of the problem? Why do they feel that two wrongs is better than just moving over and reducing the hazard for others. You can't control who is speeding and weaving, but you can control your own actions. You can move over so that they don't have to weave around you. BTW, I don't miss the U.S. People in Belgium drive so much more courtesy. They don't take it personal to be overtaken. They move to the right to allow motorcycles to pass them in the same lane. Slow vehicles get the heck out of the way. There is a reason speed limits are faster here. People aren't complete idiots!

KatieLou
KatieLou 05/17/10 - 12:35 pm
People in American are no

People in American are no more idiots than they are in Belgium or anywhere else. The big difference is in the level of anger we have toward each other.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/17/10 - 12:39 pm
Boo hoo, Katielou. I was

Boo hoo, Katielou. I was being sarcastic. Although if someone is clearly and knowingly slowing down traffic because they lack the tact and courtesy to just move 6ft to the right I will slow down ever so slightly after I make it around them. Guess what they have to do then? Oh, they get to feel what it's like to have someone slower in the left lane! How is that any different than what they are doing?

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/17/10 - 12:45 pm
Katielou, do you get out

Katielou, do you get out much? People here are much much more courteous. We are full of idiots that praise stupidity, we defend criminals, and we have some of the WORST education around. Yet kids still fail at even the most pathetic of schools. Watch idiocracy. Ignorance is rapidly breeding and they are rewarded for it. But, I'll continue to defend your right to be inconsiderate towards others as you drive in the left lane.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 05/17/10 - 12:50 pm
Just an FYI: According to

Just an FYI: According to the GA driver's manual it is LEGAL to "pass on the right when traveling on a mulit-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction."

KatieLou
KatieLou 05/17/10 - 02:17 pm
I noted the sarcasm, Andy. I

I noted the sarcasm, Andy. I still think trying to 'teach' somebody a lesson on an interstate is beyond stupid, even though we appear to agree about people who hog the left lane.

I find people here more open, friendly and generous, but not necessarily more courteous. Europeans generally seem to me to be completely self-centered, along with arrogantly nationalistic and polarized about religion, even though they generally seem to know better how to act in public. Of course, that isn't always true any more than all Southerners are hospitable.

The more global social issues you touch on don't really fit here. Maybe some other time I will spar with you on the few points where we disagree...

JoJoOiler
JoJoOiler 05/17/10 - 03:09 pm
The driver that gets passed

The driver that gets passed on the right does receive a ticket in one or more countries in Europe if caught on camera or by the police. Should be law here.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 05/17/10 - 03:16 pm
JoJo: They do in NY. It's

JoJo: They do in NY. It's called "Impeding the flow of traffic". Usually they issue these during rush hour. Had a teacher get one; knew a cop that gave out a few.

crackerjack
crackerjack 05/17/10 - 03:58 pm
READ IT AND WEEP! Slowpokes

READ IT AND WEEP!

Slowpokes in left lane face fines under Georgia bill
By Walter C. Jones
Morris News Service
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ATLANTA --- Legislation to fine poky lane hogs is speeding along with a firm push from the House on Monday after a quick debate.

The House voted 129-29 in just seven minutes to pass and send to the Senate a bill that would set a minimum fine of $75 for any motorist driving less than the speed limit in the left lane who refuses to pull to the right when a faster vehicle approaches.

Rep. Mark Butler, R-Carrollton, said when he introduced House Bill 1047 it was to address a common complaint of drivers.

"I don't think I'm alone in saying this, but there are so many times when you're alone on a four-land road, and people will get over in the left-hand lane, which by law is supposed to be used for passing, and will just sit there and use it as their own personal drive-out lane, and they may be going 50 miles per hour. It's slowing down traffic," he said. "It's frustrating."

Hogging the left lane at slower speeds is already against the law, but state officials say they don't track tickets in a way that allows them to report how many are written for it each year.

Neither the existing law nor Butler's bill would affect drivers who are maintaining the speed limit. Butler said he wouldn't encourage anyone to exceed the speed limit.

Bob Dallas, the director of the Governor's Office of Highway Safety, describes the bill as helpful to officers in enforcing lane discipline.

"Driving in the correct lanes, at the correct speeds, has the possible effect of reducing crashes and increasing the vehicle-carrying capacity of our highways," he said.

The AAA Auto Club South sees a benefit, spokeswoman Jessica Brady said.

"Granted, it may seem odd to fine people for driving too slow, but it could help avoid some dangers," she said.

"As long as they're not allowing speeders to speed and get away with it, in the same respect they are not allowing someone to go well below the speed limit."

The measure needs a vote by the Senate and the governor's signature to take effect July 1,2010

KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS! means if you are traveling the same speed than the vehicle beside you in the right lane, then you need to get in front of them or behind them in the right lane.

pommom38
pommom38 05/17/10 - 04:04 pm
Exactly, if you are going

Exactly, if you are going UNDER the speed limit.
And nothing about me is evil, what is evil are those non courteous drivers that feel they are above all else and speed. You want to speed? Then do it into your home or driveway, not the roadway.
From someone's temper on here, apparently she is one I tick off. lol
Oh well, my driving the speed limit in the left lane for a few miles isn't going to kill someone. The maniac speeding and weaving through traffic however, will and does 90% of the time.
And if someones family member gets in a wreck, it won't be because of me or any of the other million left hand law abiding citizens, it will be because they were not paying attention or rushing to get wherever before it's gone.
How many accidents have been caused due to left hand drivers going the speed limit versus those idiots speeding??

trentkeekee34
trentkeekee34 05/17/10 - 04:15 pm
i,m just here to let

i,m just here to let everybodie that ddn't know rodney conley you don't know what the @#$% your talkin about, until the autopsy report comes out everyone stay off the negative comments, is it a possibilty the man was tired tryin to get to work and fell asleep behind the wheel, if he feel asleep then his foot gas and thats where the speed came in, he probaly was driving fast but he could have fell asleep to

LBenedict
LBenedict 05/17/10 - 04:19 pm
"The accident temporarily

"The accident temporarily shut down at least two lanes on the highway temporarily,..." It temporarily shut down two lanes temporarily???

pommom38
pommom38 05/17/10 - 04:20 pm
true that

true that

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/17/10 - 04:53 pm
Instigating maniacs isn't

Instigating maniacs isn't dangerous and can't kill anyone? I think I'd have to disagree there. And intentionally? Unreal. Really? Not the least bit of guilt if you make the choice to harass the wrong person and a child gets hit by a stray bullet meant for you or the child gets killed from being involved in the wreck created by the game you played with the other driving harassing them for several miles seeing how bad you can tick them off for kicks? Instigating an already dangerous person with a dangerous weapon is so beyond the scope of what I can post without being in violation! lol I don't see why anyone would want to put lives in danger instead of calling 911. If they aren't driving dangerously enough for that, then you are only harassing them for kicks and that's not a game a mature adult would play on the roads in my opinion.

corgimom
corgimom 05/17/10 - 05:09 pm
"And I ride in the left lane

"And I ride in the left lane sometimes just to tick off the speeders!"

"Oh well, my driving the speed limit in the left lane for a few miles isn't going to kill someone. "

I don't understand the thought process of any adult that thinks using a car weighing over 2000 lbs, driving at 70 MPH, should be used to "tick off" other people, and that doing so would be mature, safe, or responsible.

A car is a lethal weapon, capable of maiming or killing someone. Driving a car is a huge responsibility.

I also don't understand how someone "driving the speed limit in the left lane for a few miles" thinks that they couldn't cause an accident.

But that's just me.