Sanford's trip meant to rekindle romance

COLUMBIA --- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Wednesday he spent last weekend in Florida with his Argentine lover, hoping to rekindle the affair that wrecked his marriage and his political future and brought a formal rebuke from legislators for embarrassing the state.

FILE - In this file photo taken Aug. 13, 2009, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford listens to remarks during the Budget and Control Board meeting in Columbia,S.C. South Carolina's Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer will ask embattled Gov. Mark Sanford to resign at a Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009  news conference, his spokesman said. (AP Photo/Mary Ann Chastain/FILE)
FILE - In this file photo taken Aug. 13, 2009, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford listens to remarks during the Budget and Control Board meeting in Columbia,S.C. South Carolina's Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer will ask embattled Gov. Mark Sanford to resign at a Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009 news conference, his spokesman said. (AP Photo/Mary Ann Chastain/FILE)

At a news conference on an unrelated issue, Sanford did not mention Maria Belen Chapur by name when asked about a weekend trip out of state about which his staff has refused to provide details. But the governor, now divorced, left no room for doubt.

"As a matter of record, everybody in this room knows exactly who I was with over the weekend," Sanford said. "That is no mystery to anybody given what I said last summer. And, you know, the purpose was obviously to see if something could be restarted on that front given the rather enormous geographic gulf between us. And time will tell. I don't know if it will or won't."

Questions arose after the Web site Gawker posted comments from tipsters who reported seeing Sanford in the Florida Keys this past weekend with a tall, attractive brunette they assumed was Chapur. Sanford said he didn't stay at the hotel mentioned in that posting or a subsequent published report.

He said Wednesday that he owed it to the public to say he was being protected by Florida law enforcement on the trip and that he was in touch with his office while away. Those became issues when he disappeared for five days last summer.

Beyond that, he said, the media should back off.

"But this obsession with one's personal life at some point has got to end," Sanford said.

He did not provide details about the trip or say whether it was the first time he had seen Chapur since he vanished from the state last June and returned to say he had been in Argentina visiting her. He told his staff he was hiking the Appalachian Trail. He appeared before cameras to tearfully admit the yearlong affair with the woman he described days later as his soul mate.

Ethics inquiry would be open

The South Carolina Senate has unanimously approved legislation that would open up ethics investigations to public scrutiny as soon as decisions to pursue charges are made.

The 38-0 Senate vote on Wednesday sends the bill back to the House.

It's one of several measures legislators have taken up this year in the wake of a scandal involving Gov. Mark Sanford that led to investigations of his travel practices.

Sanford agreed to pay a record $74,000 fine for 37 travel-related ethics charges in March. He'd fought plans to release the full investigation last fall but the state Supreme Court said he had months earlier waived confidentiality.

-- Associated Press

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/12/10 - 02:05 pm
Everybody needs a vacation

Everybody needs a vacation every once in a while for some sun, sand, and strange.

happychimer
happychimer 05/12/10 - 02:05 pm
I don't see why this is news.

I don't see why this is news. He is divorced, and his love life is is his business.

chipshirley
chipshirley 05/12/10 - 02:30 pm
Playboy Republicans Everybody

Playboy Republicans

Everybody loves to.....

v o t e...e m...o u t!!!!!!!!

55 F-100
55 F-100 05/12/10 - 02:40 pm
Take a letter, Maria,( da da

Take a letter, Maria,( da da da da dot da) address it to my Ex.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 05/12/10 - 02:39 pm
Sanford sold his soul, lost

Sanford sold his soul, lost his family, and embarrassed South Carolina for a mess of porridge. I would urge everyone to read Jenny Sanford's book, Staying Faithful. A very sad story about the break-up of a family. Is there anything sacred anymore like marriage?

jb1234
jb1234 05/12/10 - 02:50 pm
I'll be so glad when this

I'll be so glad when this loser is out of office, my goldfish could run the show better than he has :/

Nightwing
Nightwing 05/12/10 - 02:53 pm
Why is this newsworthy?

Why is this newsworthy?

H4LJ
H4LJ 05/12/10 - 02:55 pm
Aaah Chip Shirley, according

Aaah Chip Shirley, according to ALL of the polls and even your favorite left wing papers, the only elected officials who seem to be in position to get the boot this November, would be coming from your party. Also, we wont mention the recent results in Virginia, New Jersey, and Mass. Now run along and catch up to the rest of the sheep. The smoker and White Sox fanactic(who couldn't name one single player on the team) will give you your orders shortly.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/12/10 - 03:00 pm
at least he didn't abandon

at least he didn't abandon his post as chief executive officer this time to chase some tail

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/12/10 - 03:16 pm
We need to get out of the

We need to get out of the bedroom of politicians (esp. divorced folks)

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 05/12/10 - 03:24 pm
lifelong--The day's not over

lifelong--The day's not over yet.

GAterp
GAterp 05/12/10 - 03:53 pm
There is only one constant in

There is only one constant in life and that is Love. Go for it Governor!

bobaisgaf
bobaisgaf 05/12/10 - 04:10 pm
TMI from the LuvGuv...someone

TMI from the LuvGuv...someone please tell him to stop talking about his private life.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/12/10 - 04:21 pm
bobaisgaf, it's not the

bobaisgaf, it's not the "LovGuv" who's talking about his private life. If the media would leave this individual alone instead of publishing his ever move then maybe the man can get on with his personal life. Nothing is being said about his ex-wife dating a Georgia businessman, so why keep hounding him about dating someone....he's a divorced man. What he did was not right pastor Dan White, but that is between him and God and you of all people should know better than to condemn publicly a brother in Christ. Our purpose is to pray that relationships with Christ are restored, and leave the judgement up to Christ.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 05/12/10 - 04:24 pm
And now, the moment we have

And now, the moment we have all been waiting for...

The Dirtbag of the year award goes to...

Mark Sanford!

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 05/12/10 - 04:29 pm
The divorce is done, the

The divorce is done, the damage is done to his career. What he does post-divorce is no ones business, although all the armchair quarterbacks would make it their business. Let the man find some happiness. Personally, I don't care that he met her in FL. Doesn't affect me at all.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/12/10 - 04:47 pm
Glad to hear that he just did

Glad to hear that he just did not throw everything away for a flig. Sounds like he really does have feelings for this lady. I mean it's not like he is Tiger Woods or anything.

Also, Dan White...you folks in the God Squad love to judge don't you? How do you know know his sould is lost? Maybe this is God's path for Mark. How do you know he 'lost his family?' Who are you to call his obvious genuine feeling a 'bowl of porridge?' Who are you to call this a 'sad' story? Maybe BOTH parties will be better off without eachother.

I read his exwife is dating a Boardman...sounds like her heart is not too broken seeing how she is moving on huh?

Ye without sin cast the first stone huh?

Oh, and let me answer you last question, nothing is sacred and guess what bubba, it never was.

Judge not, lest what?

Brad

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 05/12/10 - 04:49 pm
Why is this news? we all new

Why is this news? we all new he was going to do this and besides he's a divorced man.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 05/12/10 - 04:57 pm
In Christ Love - Adultery is

In Christ Love - Adultery is never just between God and the adulterer. The actions of the adulterer affect many people. The innocent partner faces hurt, rejection, and lonliness. The children lose a full time father whose time is reduced to visitation rights. When David sinned with Bathsheba, his whole life spun out of control. Many were affected by his immoral actions. Gov. Sanford failed to keep his commitment. But many may not know this. He never promised in his wedding vows to "forsake all others." He told Jenny he would not make such a promise for fear he couldn't keep that promise. Jenny had serious misgivings but followed her heart instead of her reason and married him anyway. Just as Esau sold his birthright for a mess of porridge, so I believe that all those who destroy a marriage through an adulterous relationship sell their souls for a mess of porridge. Esau lived in regret of his action. Saying what I did is not judgment. It's fact no matter if it's a governor, a pastor, a layperson, or anyone who turns away from their responsiblities as a spouse and a parent falling into the arms of another and destroying the sanctity of the home and the marriage bed. It's like a bomb going off with the fall-out hurting and destroying many, many innocent people in collateral damage. Read Jenny Sanford's book, and your eyes will moisten as you feel her pain which is the pain of all those who've suffered from an unfaithful spouse. That's not judgment. That's just the fact of hurt and damaged emotions that didn't have to occur if vows are kept and promises faithfully carried out.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 05/12/10 - 05:13 pm
Brad, I've read Jenny's book.

Brad, I've read Jenny's book. Have you? My comments are based on the feelings she unveiled in her book. Her book is fair and honest about the governor and about her feelings of hurt and pain. I am not saying he lost his soul as you are thinking of soul in the traditional spiritual sense. I am using soul in the sense that he lost his heart, his feeling for his wife and sons. The term sacred means holy which means different. I counseled a couple recently who want me to officiate at their wedding. It is the second marriage for both and both have children by a previous marriage. They are living together. I asked them, "Why get married? Why not just live together?" Both were emphatic that they wanted to make public vows promising one another that they will be in a mongamous relationship, secure in each other's love and relationship for life. That is what is sacred about marriage. Both of them were victims of an unfaithful spouse which destroyed their first marriage. I can never agree that God's path for a married couple is for one spouse to break their wedding vow. However, I believe that out of the brokeness, God can redeem the pain and unfaithfulness. For the governor, he acknowledged his unfaithfulness, asked for forgiveness, and admitted his weakness. I pray he can rebuild his life and be happy with his "soul mate." Jesus forgave the woman caught in adultery when the religious bureaucrats were ready to stone her. Jesus redeemed her from the judgmental hate of the religious people. For Jenny, God can redeem her brokeness and heartache and rebuild her life with someone who will love her, her sons, and if she remarries, with someone who will remain faithful and true to her "til death do us part." Yes, Jenny has to move on and not wallow in sorrow the rest of her life just as the couple that I counseled is doing whose wedding I will officiate soon.

DAMY46
DAMY46 05/12/10 - 05:20 pm
So, when is the wedding

So, when is the wedding date?--There just has to be a wedding--Hey, he threw away his home, wife and children for his 'soul mate'...BTW, the word 'soul mate' means 'Miss. Perfect'.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 05/12/10 - 05:26 pm
And, if anyone needs another

And, if anyone needs another example of the pain of adultery, look at Tiger Woods and his adulterous past. His personal life seems to be in shambles. His wife is obviously in pain. His children suffer because daddy is not home. They can only visit him. I hope and pray that this great athlete can have his personal life put back together again and that he and his wife can be reconciled. I feel very strongly that if a person cannot make a vow of monogamy and a promise of faithfulness in a marriage vow, then that person should not get married. The pain of an innocent spouse from broken promises is an awful grief to bear. At the same time, I have two elderly friends living together in a committed relationship without marriage vows that are faithful and true to each other. They have been together for 8 years. They both told me that they are married "in the eyes of God." And why not marry, you ask? She would lose her late husband's military pension and other benefits if she married again! And no, Brad, I don't condemn them but support them fully. They are two of the happiest people I know. Both said, "We don't believe God wanted us to live alone in our later years." And you know something? I agree!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/12/10 - 05:41 pm
Dan, So now you presume to

Dan,

So now you presume to know what God's plan is for people? That is what is so funny, MARRIAGE was created by man, NOT God.

The so-called 'vows' you think are sacred were written by men, not God.

And let me get this right. Jenny writes a book a VERY short time after the break up and for what? If you think her book is "fair and honest about the governor" you must be joking.

I love it when men take things invented and made by other men to judge other men, in the name of God.

Sounds like Jenny is doing just fine.

Brad

DAMY46
DAMY46 05/12/10 - 05:51 pm
Jenny has a new guy...She is

Jenny has a new guy...She is doing just fine.....

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 05/12/10 - 05:52 pm
Brad, for something to be

Brad, for something to be sacred does not mean it is created by God. Marriage can also be sacred without God if two people make it sacred, different, special. It's like a friend of mine who has a picture of his deceased son on the wall. That picture is sacred to him and has nothing to do with God making it sacred. Have you read Jenny's book? Yes or no? Until you read it, you can't critique it or her. I have a feeling you haven't read it. Please correct me if my feeling is in error.

Kapa18
Kapa18 05/12/10 - 06:02 pm
Brad Owens, you should read

Brad Owens, you should read your bible more. The marriage vows themselves are taken from scripture, and there are many instances in the Old Testament where people were married. Jesus himself attending a wedding a performed a miracle. I won't tell you which miracle or who were married, they will be job I will live for you to research and enlighten yourself for the next time.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/12/10 - 06:34 pm
I'd like to have a mess of

I'd like to have a mess of that porridge about now....

cleanup
cleanup 05/12/10 - 06:37 pm
"...They will be job I will

"...They will be job I will live for you..." Is that some sort of strange marriage proposal to Brad? Are you from Argentina?

disssman
disssman 05/12/10 - 06:43 pm
At least he had the good

At least he had the good sense to stay out of S.C. for his vacation. BTW pastor I guess God wasn't very happy with people like Abraham having so many wives at the same time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/12/10 - 06:47 pm
Pastor Dan ..I betcha I know

Pastor Dan ..I betcha I know who that elderly couple is (mum the word) & they are "very happy" together...:o))