Jesse Jackson says poor need stimulus package

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:25 AM
Last updated 7:26 AM

GREENVILLE, S.C. - A civil rights leader from South Carolina says the poor need a stimulus package.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson told The Greenville News on Monday that the first stimulus package improved the position of some large financial institutions. But the Greenville native says a second federal stimulus program is needed to help poor people in America.

Jackson says the assumption that banks and other financial institutions would use bailout money to help individuals didn't turn out to be correct.

He says a new federal investment is needed to reach into neighborhoods to save people's home, which would help banks and small business owners.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 07:32 am
No Jesse they need JOBS!! We

No Jesse they need JOBS!! We have given away more than we have already...let's move on to getting JOBS instead of looking for somethin' fo nothin' attitude.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 07:34 am
No they need JOBS!!! Let's

No they need JOBS!!! Let's move on ...we have given the bank away already!

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/11/10 - 07:45 am
seenit Jackson in his

seenit Jackson in his "wisdom" and other Black leaders do not want the poor to rise above their "stations"...for if they did then Massa Jackson and others would no longer have a job(?). Keeping their own people down by not stressing Birth control and Education and Family... they keep their paychecks. Kinda like they "own" their people..huh?

fish2
fish2 05/11/10 - 07:57 am
This is what Jesse really

This is what Jesse really means! Greenville native says a second federal stimulus program is needed to help poor black people in America.

Jackson says the assumption that banks and other financial institutions would use bailout money to help poor African Americans didn't turn out to be correct and Obama did not intend that.

Jane18
Jane18 05/11/10 - 07:57 am
Ol' Jesse Jackson. I had

Ol' Jesse Jackson. I had hoped he would never come out of that hole he went into after `the election'. I cannot see how anyone would follow or believe ANYTHING he says. I guess he never read in the Bible that judgment will begin at the altar(pulpit).

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/11/10 - 08:12 am
Reverend?...not in my

Reverend?...not in my backyard...go crawl back under the hole you crawled out of...snakes on everything!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 08:38 am
Do you remember the "crude"

Do you remember the "crude" remark Jackson made about Obama? Something about balls...don't think he will be invited to many white house dinners. One of the funniest cartoons ever was in the AJC after that comment...it showed a squirrel running away from J Jackson saying "Hide your nuts " I still laugh just thinking about that cartoon.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 08:53 am
Whyisit...You are sooo wrong

Whyisit...You are sooo wrong on so many things...stupid people come in ALL colors. Some are just disgusted on give-me-something attitudes..I'm just as mad about Wall st. crooks as I am about welfare cheats.

chel
chel 05/11/10 - 08:56 am
@seenit--- I agree with your

@seenit--- I agree with your post 100%!

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/11/10 - 09:16 am
whyisit you are a part of the

whyisit you are a part of the problem...many of your people will never rise above their current status because you are blinded by hate and would cut off your nose to spite your face...........................

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 05/11/10 - 09:21 am
Rev. Jesse Jackson is correct

Rev. Jesse Jackson is correct when he says the government needs to put more economic focus on America's low income areas.

For starters, it would be helpful if the minimum wage was pegged to a percentage of a U.S. Congressman's salary and thereafter indexed on the CPI, same as the COLA for Social Security.

Subprime homeowner loans have been demonstrated to be a bad idea but the government could guarantee homeowner loans to QUALIFIED people in federal poverty areas. Same interest rates as 30 year treasury securities. A scheme similar to student loans. And all associated fees, commissions, markups and other money making gyps regulated by law.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 09:25 am
Springwater...Was J Jackson

Springwater...Was J Jackson right when he said Obama needed part of his anatomy cut off? just saying..

cleanup
cleanup 05/11/10 - 09:51 am
Whyisit, you're correct.

Whyisit, you're correct. When you drain the swamp, these are the racist cretins that slither up through the mud.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/11/10 - 09:53 am
Did she say YOUR people, LOL?

Did she say YOUR people, LOL? Not YOUR PEOPLE. What kind of people are you talking about?

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/11/10 - 09:57 am
chel if I hated white people

chel if I hated white people would I be working in these surroundings? what are you talking about LOL.

workedforit
workedforit 05/11/10 - 09:57 am
Since Jessie is so smart let

Since Jessie is so smart let him figure out how to pay for it, he can let his out of wedlock son assist him. When the news media finally learns to ignore the likes of him and Sharpton maybe they will finally crawl back under the rock where the belong. I still wonder which church Jessie preaches in besides showing up at events to stir up trouble. I bet obumbler crosses his legs at the mention of ol brother Jessie. You can't make this stuff up folks, these nuts actually have a media following.

BCG
BCG 05/11/10 - 10:07 am
Whyisit ... if you hate

Whyisit ... if you hate southerns so much why do you chose to live in the South?

justwanttocomment
justwanttocomment 05/11/10 - 10:11 am
Why are the people commenting

Why are the people commenting assuming that the only poor people in America are black or as you have nicely put it "YOUR PEOPLE"..The sad thing about it all is that it is 2010 and people are still unable to recognize or admit what role they are playing in this pass the buck game... I may not agree with Jesse cause he is out there in the water somewhere but I also think he is trying what can you say???

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/10 - 10:21 am
Poor people come in all

Poor people come in all shapes-sizes-colors ..What I am saying IS ..Give people a hand-up to get them out of poverty..but don't give them a WAY-OF-LIFE with everything always given to them..Education is a hand-up, even Obama & mrs. stress that..unemployment should be cut after 6months. We have the jobs, they might not be great paying but some mex seem to find them...having babies w/o the dad in the house is another reason we have soo much crime in poor areas. Stop the baby producing-get an education-get a job...& yeehaw you will have a BETTER life.

chel
chel 05/11/10 - 10:32 am
@whyisit- sure you would..you

@whyisit- sure you would..you get a paycheck so you deal with it. It just means your hate is closeted while you are at work. But you expose it to us daily.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 05/11/10 - 10:32 am
Help them - and I mean really

Help them - and I mean really help them - by getting them financial management training and following up as to whether or not it is being utilized - otherwise, no more handouts!!

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 05/11/10 - 10:33 am
In another article today they

In another article today they are quabbling over feeding retired seniors who have probably contributed to the meager amount of money being spent, for decades?! We feed kids breakfast and lunch for free at school while their parents drive decent cars, carry nice cell phones, subscribe to cable television, spend $$ on acrylic nails and hair product, just to name SOME of what could be eliminated in a budget requiring our tax dollars to feed their children! This is ridiculous! Maybe we should spend the tax dollars on 'financial management' for people needing handouts and get them OFF the chuck wagon instead of allowing them to become more dependent.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 05/11/10 - 10:36 am
Whyisit - I really grow weary

Whyisit - I really grow weary of your name calling, especially your derogatory comments toward "southerners". If you hate us so much, please move. We really would not want to keep you under such miserable circumstances.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/11/10 - 10:52 am
Chel you must be on something

Chel you must be on something and proud2bamerican ummm the south is where it at LOL... WHOLEHEARTEDLY. *GAGS*

justwanttocomment
justwanttocomment 05/11/10 - 10:56 am
@seenit..having a baby

@seenit..having a baby without a husband does not mean you are uneducated and poor. I myself am a single mother, with a college degree and a okay paying job(we all think we deserve more pay..lol)..However I do agree with you let's try to produce jobs and not handouts I just did not like the "Your People" comment it really works my nerves.

@proud2bamerican YES!!!! financial management I am sure more than poor people need that..lol I agree 100%.. Heck Sign me up!

justwanttocomment
justwanttocomment 05/11/10 - 10:59 am
@Whyisit01 I enjoy your daily

@Whyisit01 I enjoy your daily post.. Thought I would tell you that since it is attack you day..LOL have a wonderful one

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 05/11/10 - 11:12 am
seenitB4 - I don't know about

seenitB4 - I don't know about some anatomical part needing to be cut off but Obama does need a kick in his lower anatomy! He's a leader from the rear and he needs to be out in front instead. Stop letting Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reed be cannon fodder for his administration.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/11/10 - 11:21 am
Some think the War on Poverty

Some think the War on Poverty needs a surge instead of pulling out and admitting it was a failure.

The same opportunities are provided to all Americans. Some choose to take advantage of them. Others choose not to take advantage of them in hopes somebody else will provide for them and their existence. Allow social Darwinism to clean up the mess this war has promoted for decades for the long term sake of America.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/11/10 - 11:50 am
LOL....ain't it a hoot?

LOL....ain't it a hoot? Whyisit are not Black people your people or do you not claim them?...White folks are my people and I am proud to say so :)

Nightwing
Nightwing 05/11/10 - 12:10 pm
The "War on Poverty", "War on

The "War on Poverty", "War on Drugs" all are failures. Money and more money is not the answer. Education and job training is the key to getting out of the cycle some are in. Whatever happened to the welfare to work program?

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...