North Augustan dies days after college graduation

A 21-year-old North Augusta woman died Sunday in an inline skating accident, two days after graduating from Clemson University.

Cawthorne   Special
Special
Cawthorne

Samantha Cawthorne, of the 1400 block of Georgia Avenue, died Sunday night of a head injury at AnMed Health Medical Center in Anderson, S.C., said Pickens County Coroner Kandy Kelley.

Cawthorne was skating alone about 2:30 p.m. Sunday on the university's garden trail when she struck a guardrail, according to a university police report.

She was not wearing a helmet, the coroner said.

On Friday, Cawthorne graduated magna cum laude with a degree in physics. She was scheduled to work for the National Institute for Standards and Technology, according to a Clemson news release.

Cawthorne was a 2006 International Baccalaureate graduate of North Augusta High School. She and her family moved to North Augusta from Maryland 10 years ago.

She left an impact on the faculty at her high school, said Dianne Smiley, her guidance counselor at North Augusta High.

"She was a great student, a very special young lady," Smiley said. "It's a tremendous loss."

At Clemson, Cawthorne was president of the Society of Physics Students and a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. She was also a Dixon Fellow and a graduate of Calhoun Honors College.

In a statement, her father said she treasured her friends and experiences at Clemson.

She is survived by her parents, John and Janine Cawthorne; brother Zachary Cawthorne; and sister Rebecca Cawthorne. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to disaster relief in Haiti at www.edusc.org.

Facts about inline skating

More than 17 million Americans participate in the sport of inline skating. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 61,000 people were treated for inline skating-related injuries in hospital emergency rooms, doctors' offices, clinics and other medical settings in 2007.

Many inline skating injuries are preventable by following these safety tips:

- Learn the basic skills of the sport particularly how to stop properly, before venturing into traffic

-Wear a helmet, wrist protectors and knee and elbow pads

-Perform warm-up exercises before and after skating

-Obey traffic signals, stay at the right side of the road and don't weave in and out of lanes

-Avoid skating on crowded walkways

-Choose the boot size at the end of the day or after training, when feet will be at their largest.

-When selecting a boot size, wear the same type of sock that will be worn when skating.

-Kick both feet into the back of the boots before buckling and skating.

-Be certain the heel doesn't move up and down in the boot during skating.

Source: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

Nightwing
Nightwing 05/10/10 - 04:34 pm
So sad, and a tremendous loss

So sad, and a tremendous loss to us all. My prayers are with the family.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/10/10 - 04:48 pm
My prayers are for the family

My prayers are for the family tonight...what an incredible loss for everyone............

Shelf
Shelf 05/10/10 - 04:59 pm
Sad to hear this... prayers

Sad to hear this... prayers for your family ...xo

disssman
disssman 05/10/10 - 05:06 pm
This was someone who would

This was someone who would have been an asset to the country and her family. I feel sorry for the relatives of this bright star.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/10/10 - 05:55 pm
Zach, John, Janine and all

Zach, John, Janine and all the Cawthornes. I was/am floored when I heard this throughout the evening yesterday and the terrible news today. We are praying for you all and I hope you will let us know through your church family if there is anything we can do for you guys. We are all praying for you!

becky_moore52
becky_moore52 05/10/10 - 06:34 pm
Johnny and Janine, Our hearts

Johnny and Janine,

Our hearts just break for you. We will be praying for you and your family. If there is anything we can do please let us know. I am not surprised at what a wonderful child she was--just look at her parents.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/10/10 - 07:06 pm
To her family and friends...I

To her family and friends...I am so, so very sorry for your loss. After reading about this wonderful young lady, I have to agree that we all lost out on what she would have done for us. Her potential was indeed stellar. Please know that you should be so very proud of her and what she had already done in her short life. May God bless each of you and thank you again for letting her be a part of our world.

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 05/10/10 - 07:26 pm
omg how aweful is that. i

omg how aweful is that. i feel so bad for her family. may the good lord give them the strength they need to somehow get through this

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/10/10 - 10:10 pm
I couldn't say it any better

I couldn't say it any better than what Just My Opinion posted...it is a very sad loss and my heart breaks for the family...God has some reason for it..we have to trust that...be strong.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/10/10 - 10:32 pm
How tragic. Just my opinion

How tragic. Just my opinion did say it best. My prayers and deepest condolences to the family for losing such a treasure.

Jillian
Jillian 05/12/10 - 07:51 pm
How could someone that smart

How could someone that smart not know enough to wear a helmet? Such a needless death!

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs