Squirrel blamed for power outage

Friday, May 7, 2010 8:47 AM
Last updated 2:23 PM

A squirrel that got into a transmission line caused a brief power outage this morning that affected 22 Georgia Power customers and knocked out several Augusta traffic lights.

The outage, which happened just after 8 a.m., lasted less than 10 minutes, said Georgia Power spokeswoman Lynn Wallace.

Traffic lights were out downtown near 13th and 15th streets down to Milledge Road, according to Richmond County dispatch.

The back-up generator at University Hospitals kicked in for about 10 minutes during the outage, said hospitals spokeswoman Rebecca Sylvester.

She added there were some issues with the phone system for between 30 and 45 minutes, with some people unable to make or receive phone calls.

Sylvester said she was unsure how widespread the problem was.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/07/10 - 10:58 am
Farewell to a brother.

Farewell to a brother.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/07/10 - 11:03 am
A memorial service for Sammy

A memorial service for Sammy the Squirrel will be held at Sacred Heart this evening. Sammy left behind a wife and 3 young kits. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Georgia Power Squirrel Electrocution Fund.

Indigo
Indigo 05/07/10 - 11:19 am
Damn Tea Party strikes again!

Damn Tea Party strikes again!

calihali
calihali 05/07/10 - 11:52 am
Maybe I'm ridiculous but I

Maybe I'm ridiculous but I don't see the humor in the situation. Even though it was "just a squirrel" it was still a living creature. I know how I sound - everybody tells me I am overly sensitive to animals and I'm not criticizing any of you. I wish I could be more like you because I'm the kind of person that sees a dead or injured animal that I can't help and it just ruins my day.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/07/10 - 12:00 pm
Sounds to me like CBBP just

Sounds to me like CBBP just got a new menu item for The Ellis St Canal Cafe.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/07/10 - 12:01 pm
*UGH* no it was Obama fault

*UGH* no it was Obama fault for the outage.

fish2
fish2 05/07/10 - 12:05 pm
It also shut down the VA

It also shut down the VA downtown,MCG and University.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/07/10 - 12:11 pm
According to those who

According to those who believe Cloward/Piven, this is another crisis and it's Obama's fault *UGH*

happychimer
happychimer 05/07/10 - 12:11 pm
calihali I feel the same way.

calihali I feel the same way.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/07/10 - 12:47 pm
The squirrel was a highly

The squirrel was a highly trained domestic suicide terrorist! Look for more such incidents to begin popping up all across America.

nowhine
nowhine 05/07/10 - 01:14 pm
Wasn't that the same squirrel

Wasn't that the same squirrel that was waving a nut sign at the last Tea Party rally.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 05/07/10 - 01:19 pm
RIP. sniff...

RIP. sniff...

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/07/10 - 01:58 pm
Nowhine, different squirrel.

Nowhine, different squirrel. The one at the Tea Party was trying to trick people into filling out bogus forms.

faithson
faithson 05/07/10 - 02:02 pm
The flippin' squirrel would

The flippin' squirrel would have been 'vaporized' by the transmission line.. sounds like a case of 'racial profiling' to me.. I want some evidence of the culprit, no matter that for the most part his family tree may have been involved with so many other incidences with GA Power. You can't just use a broad brush to incriminate this one family of creatures.. of course if you have a bias, you can.. come on GA Power, where is your 'fair and balanced' evidence to accuse.. where ? PETA will be getting in touch for sure.

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 05/07/10 - 02:23 pm
Shocking!! another poor

Shocking!! another poor squirrell diverted from his mission to attend an Augusta Comission meeting so to add to his collection of nuts

rakkassan
rakkassan 05/07/10 - 03:11 pm
Poor Sammy the Squirrell. I

Poor Sammy the Squirrell. I really don't understand how this happened. He was a straight A student and a star athlete. He did not seem the type to get into trouble. I cannot believe this!!

Mudfish
Mudfish 05/07/10 - 06:04 pm
I wonder what caused the

I wonder what caused the power outage at my house from around 10AM to around 4:30 PM? today.

jumpinpaul
jumpinpaul 05/08/10 - 01:10 pm
I wonder why an ambulance was

I wonder why an ambulance was seen taking something out on a stretcher from the utility hole dug on the former Gilbert Manor property 10 minutes after the power outage started?